Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Custom Rosewood and Doves In Flight

Frances50

I'm relatively new to the forum and need some advice. I have a J-45 Custom Rosewood and am thinking about purchasing a Doves In Flight to compliment my collection. My local guitar store doesn't carry a DIF or a Dove so it's not practical to "try it out." I've talked to my sales engineer at Sweetwater but I wanted some experienced guidance from actual owners. This will probably be the last guitar I buy for a long, long time. I also own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Fender American Strat HSS.

Thanks

Frances

Sandy Run, S.C.

If you've never played a DIF, be aware that it may have the narrowest neck of any guitar that Gibson currently makes. We measured the neck of the one I played at my local dealers and it measured less than 1 11/16, it was almost exactly 1 5/8 at the nut, possibly a little less. If you can handle the narrow nut, and all the bling, there won't be a problem. The dealer had two in stock and I hesitated too long before deciding to buy one (at a super price). When I did return, they were both gone, pretty amazing considering the cost and rarity of the guitar.

I went to try a Dove yesterday at my 5* while they corrected the nut action on my SWD. I could barely play it cleanly because the width of the nut was so small and the string spacing too close for me. The guitar was a looker and if it has a 1.75 nut then I may have purchased it. If you like thin necks, you will love this guitar.

Ordered the DIF from Guitar Center in Atlanta yesterday. Delivery is scheduled for Monday. Good service from the sales rep. Although I do have to say that it was about equal to the service I got at Sweetwater Sounds. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting the guitar and checking it out over Thanksgiving.

Thanks to all who responded.

Yes, I will be watching for the Big Brown Truck. Fortunately, I can take off work to be home when it arrives. I am still what everyone would call a "student" and not very proficient at song playing, however, I've come a long way in the 18 months that I have been playing. As for the guitar of my dreams, I just love anything Gibson with the exception of my Fender American Strat HSS. So, now I will have four guitars in my arsenal (The Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson J45 custom rosewood and now the DIF). I also have a Tommy Thayer signed Epiphone Les Paul Spaceman that is in a display cabinet.

I will post some pictures when the guitar comes.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I will.

Frances

Sandy Run, S.C.

Archived