Gibson Brands Forums

strings

bill67

Congratulations, that's a fine sounding guitar! The AJ-220 series comes equipped with light guage strings.. (.12--.53) and that guage or lighter should be used. ( I use Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 lights .12-- .53 ) They play and sound very good. They cost more but will last much, much longer than non-coated strings and the 80/20 bronze will brighten and clarify the sound and tone. ---Phosphor Bronze strings (PB's) may also be used if you prefer a darker tone over a brighter tone. Elixirs can last 6 months to a year, compared to 3 weeks of other stings. And if you do not play often, Elixirs will actually last for years on your guitar. So it will be important for you to decide upon which variety PB's or 80/20's..because both will last very long.....I would choose Nanoweb Elixirs..not poly web, as the ploy web have a coating too thick by some peoples view. The nanoweb strings look normal and feel normal. Good luck!...In the end, which brand string you prefer to use is a personal thing. There are many good strings out there..but Elixir is well reputed to last the longest of all of them.

+1 for me on the nano Elixirs - I have had a set on my EJ160e for about 6 months and they still sound great (I play for about 20mins to an hour most days). My guitar is a similat shape to the AJ220 and I find these strings have the great zing while retaining the warm mellow tones.

I think a lot has to do with how you play.

I'm a bit of the oddball here in that I wear 9-42 on most of my acoustics for how I handle pretty gentle fingerpicking. That means a special "string-by-string" purchase of my Elixir polywebs or the DR Zebra AE strings also in 9-42.

My one "strummer" big box wears 10-48. Again, I'm quite gentle. Most folks aren't so gentle and are happier with 11s and up. Then again, I've been using AEs since the early '70s Ovations first came out with variations of under-bridge pups.

m

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, a very nice string for AE fingerpicking is the DR Zebra, which works nicely at very light gauges. I have my main fingerpicking AE wearing them. As well as the 9-42 playing very nicely with how I play, feedback from some pros tells me that they sound fine as well. I'd not use them for strumming, though.

Mostly I wear Elixir Polywebs of several gauges on both electric and acoustic, depending on use. The heavier coating doesn't hit me at all, but then each to his/her own.

m

I try different strings from time to time, but I've always come back to D'Addario EJ-17s. They are good, dependable strings and they are very consistent from set to set.

But that's just me. Everybody has different playing styles and different body chemistries and so what sounds/feels good to me may not sound or feel good to you. You just kind of have to keep trying to find a string you like.

While I have tried Elixirs and coated strings from time to time, I really don't like them.

Archived