Gibson Brands Forums

Did I get the wrong SG?

Kevin K Rock

Hi all

I recently purchased what I thought was a normal 2009 Epiphone G400 on ebay with hardshell case. The guy advertised it as having the D shaped slim taper neck. But after receiving it I have noticed the neck is very thick, much more so than my strat. I think it might be the faded g-400 which I have read did not have a slim neck in 2009.

Can anyone tell me if my guitar is in fact the faded g400 with a regular fat neck? I want to return it, but would need to prove its not as described to ebay.

Link to ebay for sale ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291016960924?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4467&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI291016960924.N19.S2.M-8659

thanks

The finish of the guitar in the Ebay ad doesn't look faded to me and the fret markers are trapezoid rather than dots as on the faded model. That would appear to be a regular G-400.

The Fadeds had trapezoid inlays as well. The only SG's that have dots are the Specials and 1st gen G-400's.

OP, I'm pretty sure the Fadeds had a satin finish, even if its hard to tell what it is by the color. The Ebay listing looked gloss to me.

I'm not sure what Epi means by "slim taper". I have an Epi ES-355 that was advertised as having a slim taper neck and it is one of the chunkiest necks I have ever felt (not complaining).

Thanks for all the replies.. Epiphone customer service confirmed its the normal g400 with "slim" neck from my serial #

I was told to try the '61 style slim neck as its much slimmer than the one I have. Guess ill just put this one up for sale & see if I can find another.

Thanks for all the replies.. Epiphone customer service confirmed its the normal g400 with "slim" neck from my serial #

I was told to try the '61 style slim neck as its much slimmer than the one I have. Guess ill just put this one up for sale & see if I can find another.

the "slim" neck on my '61 RI LPC SG is fatter than the "slim" on my SG DLX.

Sometimes real size and subjective feel of a neck can be different. I experienced that it may not be the neck alone but the overall design of the package. A slim neck on a slim and light guitar like an SG feels thicker for me than one of same shape does on a deeper and heavier guitar like a Les Paul.

I'm under the impression that the slim taper refers to the width of the neck/fretboard.

ie. The width of the fret board at the nut down to last fret being a slim taper ? Still as D profile which always feels more of a handful.

When comparing specs, Slim Taper refers to the neck depth obviously. Nut width and width at 12th fret are closely the same, regardless if the neck is a fatter 50s, late 50s rounded or 60s Slim Taper one.

There are other factors coming into play when it goes around the feel of a neck. Neck angles, fretboard radiuses and fret wire height affect the playability as well as body depth and position of the scale length compared to the overall length. Except most of the Norlin era SGs with a lower neck set, the string scale is a bit shifted to the fretting hand's side on SGs, compared to most other solidbody guitars. This gives them a different feel for both fretting and striking hand. To me a Fender Stratocaster feels "shorter" than an SG although the scale lengths say the opposite.

Archived