Gibson Brands Forums

Best Acoustic Strings

Larry Harris

Larry...

We dunno how much experience you have, but here's my take. I use strings I like a lot. Every now and then I try something else.

Most of the time I pick the same way on the same guitars. I'm a very gentle fingerpicker. I have a cupla AEs that I use for flatpicking, but I'm quite gentle with that, too. Almost always I'm running an AE as an AE, not trying to boost sound.

Bottom line for me is that some folks will tell me I'm a fool for liking the strings I like on guitars I like with technique I like.

I'd say that in ways you can make a case that the strings, the guitar and ... your technique ... are a triumvirate. So you're keeping the guitar, you aren't talking about seeing what difference one might find in tone through technique, so that leaves strings, eh?

m

Larry...

We dunno how much experience you have, but here's my take. I use strings I like a lot. Every now and then I try something else.

Most of the time I pick the same way on the same guitars. I'm a very gentle fingerpicker. I have a cupla AEs that I use for flatpicking, but I'm quite gentle with that, too. Almost always I'm running an AE as an AE, not trying to boost sound.

Bottom line for me is that some folks will tell me I'm a fool for liking the strings I like on guitars I like with technique I like.

I'd say that in ways you can make a case that the strings, the guitar and ... your technique ... are a triumvirate. So you're keeping the guitar, you aren't talking about seeing what difference one might find in tone through technique, so that leaves strings, eh?

m

Milod

very good advice - and the technique, guitar and strings very well described as a triumvirate because the tone will really depend a lot on all three together. Taste is very subjective so what sounds good to my ears might not to yours. Depends too on whetrher you're a strummer or picker (I like to try both but not great at either!). I have tried lots of brands and alloys but always come back to Elixirs or PB D'addarios because I like warmth and midrange over highs but that's just me.

Dodger

I have tried lots of brands and alloys but always come back to Elixirs or PB D'addarios because I like warmth and midrange over highs but that's just me.

Dodger

Mlod's right of course, strings are only one part of the "tone" equation.

But I'm with the Dodger on Elixirs - they seem to bring out the warm midrange tones of my Epis.

Plus they "feel" very comfortable against the flesh of my fingers. Other players, other styles, maybe other strings; it's all personal taste.

For me, the Elixirs have a feel and tone I'm very comfortable with.

Actually except for two archtops I'm experimenting on with various gauge flats, I generally use Elixir polywebs 9-42 on both electric and acoustic, except on one AE I've switched to using either Zebra 9-42 or a string-by-string purchase of polyweb 9-42 acoustic. I do have polyweb 10s on 2 flattop AEs that I use only for flatpicking.

m

I try different strings from time to time, but always come back to D'Addario EJ-17s. They're really good strings, very consisted from set to set.

Different strings react differently to your body chemistry, so it is best to keep trying strings until you find what feels and sounds good to you.

Archived