Gibson Brands Forums

How to recognise a custom from a classic custom

aris17561

Hello everyone...

Its about to trade with someone my les paul ( standard premium plus 2003 ) with his les paul custom. Its a good guy but in order to feel more safe for that I wanted to know how to recognise that it is a custom ? Becauae I saw that classic custom lps are so similar. The colour is a wine red so any advices ? Thank you very much !!!

Hello!

The Classic Custom (not to be confused with Custom Classic) has no binding on the back of the body. As Golden said, it has a chocolate-colored baked maple fingerboard (instead of Custom's ebony). These are the noticable differences.

Cheers... Bence

Baked Maple fret boards for one. The Custom Classic is a nice LP. It was a product of the rosewood issue with Gibson, and is a nice offering as a result.

Why do you want to get rid of the Standard?

I think that a custom has a better quality than the standard right ? One more reason is that the std has 50 neck which is very big for me... Am I think right ?

So the only thing is that the fretboard is darker in colour in custom than in the classic custom ?

I think that a custom has a better quality than the standard right ? One more reason is that the std has 50 neck which is very big for me... Am I think right ?

So the only thing is that the fretboard is darker in colour in custom than in the classic custom ?

As far as the quality is concerned, they should be the same. The Custom is a better decorated model than the Standard: it has mother of pearl block inlays, multiply binding all over the body/neck.

Yes, the Classic Custom's fretboard is more chocolate/caramel-like. All it's inlays (except for the company logo) are plastic, and no binding on the back.

The Classic Custom has '57 Classic pickups, while the Custom - usually - has the 490R/498T combination.

Cheers... Bence

There are contemporary Standard models offered made by Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Shop as well. Les Paul Custom guitars are made by the Custom Shop but I'm not sure for the Classic Custom and the Custom Classic.

I experienced quality issues with both Gibson USA and Gibson Custom guitars regardless of the model. In fact, yesterday evening it finally happened that for the first time all of the guitars I own per June 29th, 2013 are at my home. There always have been at least two of them at a time out for warranty repairs - not for setups which I do myself.

OK so to summarise

1 ) The fretboard is darker in Custom

2 ) There is a binding on the back in custom

3 ) The hardware must be gold ( He has changed the pups with black duncans ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) but I will check the bridge

About the key tuners ? Any noticable difference ?

Hello!

Look for the binding on the back - that's very hard to fake. That's the most obvious mark.

Here is a review of the Classic Custom:

...and the Custom:

Also note, the fretboard inlays much more shiny on the Custom.

Cheers... Bence

Well...they are definitely not in the same price range. Still, the CC is great guitar, but You can buy one cheaper than a Standard like Yours.

Cheers... Bence

Thank you very much all of you;.. But I have one more proposal from a friend of mine

So...

should I trade my premium plus 2003 for a classic antique ? [confused]

Hello!

The Classic Custom (not to be confused with Custom Classic) has no binding on the back of the body. As Golden said, it has a chocolate-colored baked maple fingerboard (instead of Custom's ebony). These are the noticable differences.

Cheers... Bence

Well...they are definitely not in the same price range. Still, the CC is great guitar, but You can buy one cheaper than a Standard like Yours.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bence,

sorry, but you were caught by your own trap... [omg]

Does CC in your post I quoted as second mean Custom Classic, or Classic Custom, or perhaps carbon copy, courtesy copy, or providing the e-mail adresses of every recipient to all the recipients :-k :P

[wink]

Just an interesting little tidbit some of you Gibsonites failed to mention: the original Classic Custom that came out sometime around 2007 has an EBONY fretboard. This model occasionally pops up now and then on E-bay. So, contrary to belief, not every Classic Custom model has a baked maple fretboard.

...the original Classic Custom that came out sometime around 2007 has an EBONY fretboard...

This ebony-'boarded Classic Custom came out in 1998. I've seen some with P-90's (as here) and others with open 'buckers.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Classic_Custom_Ebon.jpg

P.

This ebony-'boarded Classic Custom came out in 1998. I've seen some with P-90's (as here) and others with open 'buckers.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Classic_Custom_Ebon.jpg

P.

Man, I'd love to get one of those P-90 versions! But, my "guitar wad" is shot...

at least for the foreseeable future! I had a major SG Craze [scared] , this past year!

So, that's it, for now! [tongue] (I think?!...LOL) [biggrin]

CB

I kept that snap as, years ago, I had gone into London to buy one, CB.

The shop was offering it for sale at the princely sum of $3,300.........[scared].........it looked stunning, I grant you!

Unfortunately it had suffered a h/s break and the repair was none too professional so, regretfully, I declined their offer...

P.

I kept that snap as, years ago, I had gone into London to buy one, CB.

The shop was offering it for sale at the princely sum of $3,300.........[scared].........it looked stunning, I grant you!

Unfortunately it had suffered a h/s break and the repair was none too professional so, regretfully, I declined their offer...

P.

Yeah, I've had a few of those "Close calls" myself. But, something else/better

always seemed to come along, a bit later. So, I didn't mourn those lost opportunities,

all that much.

CB

Archived