Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico Classic Pro

poopcicle

Hey everyone, I need a little advice! I know it all comes down to personal preference but looking for a general opinion. I am deciding between a 1962 Sorrento reissue, a Thunderhorse and a 335 pro. I am leaning towards the 335 at the moment cause I am selling my Wildkat and would miss a semi in my line up. My question is about the newer Alnico Classic Pro pups that are in the 335 pro . Any experiences that can be shared? I have had a few (es 175, g400) in the past that had the older epi 57ch pickups and was never very happy always finding them exceptionally muddy so i am hoping the pros are more articulate and defined. I am not looking to throw a ton of money into what ever I buy and therefore want some thoughts on the quality of the classic pros.As much as I like the classic 335 shape and feel i dont want to have to do a pup swap out of necessity. I love the Sorrento but am afraid the minis will be to bright for my taste, the thunderhorse has burstbuckers and I love it but the explorer is not really my style and I am trying to stay in the hollow/semi family. I currently play an Epi 1960 tribute Lp and love the Gibby 57s in it and a Gibby Tweedy model SG with dual Burstbucker 1s in it that is my main axe. thanks for any and all help, input and guidance! Matt [thumbup]

I guess you will have to check it out for yourself. I can confirm that the '57 Classics and Classic Pluses are great pickups and make my Epi LP 1960 Trbute guitar sound very nicely, beside a few of my Gibsons featuring these pickups, too.

Since I dislike swapping pickups on principal, too, I understand your considerations, but as you may see from my signature, I own four strats of which none has the stock pickups. I bought these guitars knowing before what I wanted to swap the stock pickups for, and that I wanted additional piezos in two of them, just because I wanted Floyd Rose Stratocasters. This made it all worth for me. There also are two Gibson EB 2013 with passive EMGs and one Fender Nashville Power Telecaster with N3 Noiseless mod, all done to enhance the performance to my desire.

So in case you want a particular guitar, it can make sense to buy one and swap the pickups. I think there is nothing wrong with it, perhaps except you don't know precisely what it will sound like before. But as for my Strats, all of them modded using Fender Noiseless SSS pickup combos, I don't regret anything. Similar is valid for the other modded instruments of mine. I got and paid what I wanted, and this is what counts I believe.

Thanks, l upgraded a few over the years as well this is really about avoiding the cost of a semi semi hollow upgrade as I cant do it myself. Hopefully someone will have some insight!

As long as the new pro pups are better I think ill be ok.if I cant figure it out I will just go for the Sorrento.

I have never played the newer alnico classic pro pickups but have read several threads here stating that they are considerably better than the alnico classics (57ch), and there is generally no reason to replace them. You should be able to search for the threads.

I have never played the newer alnico classic pro pickups but have read several threads here stating that they are considerably better than the alnico classics (57ch), and there is generally no reason to replace them. You should be able to search for the threads.

Hi Gunner, thanks for the reply! I have read through a few of the threads as well, I guess Im just looking for a little last minute pep talk before I take the plunge!

I briefly played an Epi 339 with the alnico classic pros thru a Bugera V5 at a GC. It sounded cleaner with less overtone than the ProBuckers in my Ultra 339, which I do really like.

I may pick up another 339 with alnico classic pros. No reason to change them for my taste, but you really need to play them thru your amp or one similar to know for yourself.

Whilst were on the subject of pickups, does anyone know if its possible to buy the new pro buckers on their own or do they only come with the guitars that they are now on ?

I'm afraid they aren't available to buy freely. You can check on ebay, there is a seller who sometimes offers Probuckers with complete wiring for LP.

Archived