Gibson Brands Forums

My SJ 100

alexthegreat404

Hey everyone, haven't logged on in a few years but I do love to lurk and read about all your great guitars and experiences!

Anyways, a few years ago I made a topic here on an SJ 100 I bought off of craigslist. I was (and still am) a pretty broke student that still has no idea what I want to do. I just could not pass that guitar up, and I am thrilled to say I could not be happier. I have played some fantastic, older Guilds, tons of Martins and Taylors, and other Gibsons, and I honestly think I found "the one." Times have been tough here and there over the past couple of years and even put ads up to sell it. It was always out of desperation and I always got tons of replies, but thank god I never went through with it. Someone told me on here never to sell it and I honestly can say I won't (unless it was my only ticket to see Zeppelin perform again, although that won't happen). This guitar really sings, love the tone and playability, looks great too.

I don't know what has compelled me to share, anyone else have a J 100 on here? I am very interested in hearing about the ones like mine made from around 2007-2008 with the bubinga back and sides. Those new 1941 reissues look great too.

I don't know what has compelled me to share, anyone else have a J 100 on here? I am very interested in hearing about the ones like mine made from around 2007-2008 with the bubinga back and sides. Those new 1941 reissues look great too.

Yep mine is a 2005 with figured bubinga. I play it all the time. It's a great guitar. Here's a pic:

IMG_2429.jpg

Hang on to her buddy. I love the new 1941s too... Batwing bridges and all...

When I graduated college in the late 1980s I sold my Strat that I saved so long for. I needed the money. I regret it to this day.

Story of my life!.....almost! ... The one 'Ex-Wife' was a great call on my part, however [crying] .

When I first got back into playing after a loooong layoff, it was a (then) new 1995 J-100 Extra that jump-started everything for me. The sound of this guitar, with the mahogany back and sides - my first really serious instrument after grwoing up with down-market brands - just blows away everything I've tried since. It's got a bit of a funny looking lighter streak down the center of the top that hasn't bothered me a bit. In the 18 years I've had it now, that contrasting color has become a more accentuated as the finish ages and ambers. It's a big, loud cannon that sounds even better now than the day I got it.

J-100Extra.jpg

It is a pretty big guitar though, aBut nd I'm not a big guy (well... bigger than I was 18 years ago, but still...). I've have a polite little Taylor 812ce for sitting on the couch. [rolleyes]

Archived