Gibson Brands Forums

Eastman E5SS

MorrisrownSal

Never played one but you could get a real Gibson LG-2 for a similar price.

Eastman makes nice stuff from what I've played and heard. Can't see myself ever buying one of their guitars but hats off to them non the less.

If you only want something that sounds like a Gibson, don't get it. On the other hand, if you want to go into some new territory with an excellent guitar, you should. Eastman Music Co is one of the finest string instrument builders in the world; violins, cello, double bass, wind instruments, etc plus flattop/archtop guitars.

I have one of their less expensive archtops - something about like a one-pup ES175 so I don't have to take the old girl outa the house. It plays marvelously and sounds good either acoustic or electric. Doggone worth what I paid for it, IMHO.

So... if other Eastman instruments are of equivalent quality, I'd say they're fine if they play well for you and give you a sort of sound you might be happy with.

I'm not concerned about the craftsmanship although I do wonder about wood aging, etc. OTOH, the company claims its work with orchestral instruments gave them the connections to have high end woods for guitars as well. As it is, though, it appears this instrument will outlive me.

m

I own what I believe is the first experimental prototype to this guitar, an ET5-SS. Mine has mahogany back and sides, an Adirondack top, true 1 3/4 inch neck at the nut and a short scale. It has the fastest neck I've ever played. I got it from GuitarsPlus about two years ago. It is NOT a Gibson. It is its own animal. It is very balanced across the strings which I know fingerpickers like because one of the guys I play with is a fingerpicker and he keeps trying to talk me out of this guitar (he did talk me out of my Santa Cruz VJ years ago and I kick myself to this day) even though he owns a, I believe, '63 B25. I flatpick the bejeesus out of this little monster and it just keeps coming back for more. This guitar sold me on adirondack to the point I bought an Eastman E10-SS. About the best way to think about Eastman is that it is a more modern, boutique kind of sound. I own a Santa Cruz D/PW too and it is NOT a Martin D-28 but it does a lot of things very well. My Eastmans just strike me as powerful yet able to play softly too. My ET5-SS really shines plugged into a little tube amp with a soundhole pickup but it cuts it acoustically just fine when sitting in with bigger guitars. At the time Gibson didn't have a new LG-2 and I doubt if I would have spent the money asked to get a smaller guitar. I still primarily play my J-50 but I wanted something smaller for playing at home and for my old age (I can see my physical handwriting on the wall going into the future). Great midrange honk but not an overpowering bass and the trebles are rock solid. Like I said, balanced. I'm not really good at describing sound with words so I don't know if I've helped you or not. If someone pointed a gun to my head and told me I only got to pick one of my guitars to keep, it would be my ET5-SS. I'd see about the return policy and take the chance if you can.

I've played 4-5 of them when I make my once-every-2-3-months-trip to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Ks. Nice guitars. I don't see myself buying one, but if one came my way with the right price I'd certainly consider it. They seem to be put-together well and they sound pretty good. I'm sure they're worth the money. Don't think I currently know anyone who has one......On the AGF they've had quite-a-few people who rave about them.......Again, it all boils-down to what you like and can afford.

http://www.guitarspl...ic-custom.shtml

I am constrained from guitar purchases at this time, but on a slow day at work the mind wanders.

Has anyone ever seen or played these? Seems like an LG2 knockoff?

Yup. Had a 2012 prototype. Adi top, rosewood b/s. Very muddied tone from too much sustain. The nut was advertised as 1.75, but it was closer to 1 11/16. It is smaller and thinner than a LG-2. Sold mine and bought the real deal...LG-2ae.

IMG_20121212_184212.jpg

Archived