Gibson Brands Forums

Amp questions for my Gibson LP's

wickedout

I've got the Marshall DSL15c, and I LOVE it!!! [thumbup]

It's a bit more amp than needed for playing at home, and if you live in an apartment you're really going to need to keep it low. For just getting together with some friends and jamming it's awesome. If you're going to gig go for the 40 watt version, IMHO.

While all my Gibson's sound great with this amp, my SG Standard with the 490/498 pick up combo just freakin' smokes through this amp!

The DSL15C is a bad mofo amp! I haven't had a chance to riff on it yet. But I did riff on the 40 watt version of it. It's a beast!

I live in a house so I can loud or keep it tame. I only play it loud only when I'm with my friends. In the meantime I'll just keep practicing on my new Peavey Vypyr VIP 1! The little Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 amp has some bite. But it's not a tube amp and doesn't sound half as good as a Marshall tube amp. Thanks for the information! :)

The DSL15C is a bad mofo amp! I haven't had a chance to riff on it yet. But I did riff on the 40 watt version of it. It's a beast!

I live in a house so I can loud or keep it tame. I only play it loud only when I'm with my friends. In the meantime I'll just keep practicing on my new Peavey Vypyr VIP 1! The little Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 amp has some bite. But it's not a tube amp and doesn't sound half as good as a Marshall tube amp. Thanks for the information! :)

I live on a farm, so I can crank it up, but I do wait until the wife is out of the house to get that loud. The cats come out of hiding about an hour after I finish playing... [wink]

I play mainly classic style rock and some blues. I don't need much gain on the ultra gain channel (usually around 2 or 3) to get the tone I want for rock music. If I want to get heavier, and sometimes I do, I've got plenty of room to do it. I dont' gig, I just get together with some friends from time to time and mostly I play at home. So, this amp has my bases covered. [thumbup]

If this amp has a weak spot it's the reverb.

I've got a Line6 15 watt digital amp too, and it's fine on a clean channel. However, when you want some crunch nothing tops a tube amp.

I live on a farm, so I can crank it up, but I do wait until the wife is out of the house to get that loud. The cats come out of hiding about an hour after I finish playing... [wink]

I play mainly classic style rock and some blues. I don't need much gain on the ultra gain channel (usually around 2 or 3) to get the tone I want for rock music. If I want to get heavier, and sometimes I do, I've got plenty of room to do it. I dont' gig, I just get together with some friends from time to time and mostly I play at home. So, this amp has my bases covered. [thumbup]

If this amp has a weak spot it's the reverb.

I've got a Line6 15 watt digital amp too, and it's fine on a clean channel. However, when you want some crunch nothing tops a tube amp.

I'm also looking at this amp to the Laney Tony Iommi TI15-112 Signature! It's pretty mean amp! Had some great reviews online! We all know Tony Iommi can play!

I'm also looking at this amp to the Laney Tony Iommi TI15-112 Signature! It's pretty mean amp! Had some great reviews online! We all know Tony Iommi can play!

Then you got to get a Tony Iommi SG, too!!! [thumbup]

I've heard a lot of rock players rave about Blackstar amps as well...

I used to use a TSL100H and 1960a, absolute BELTER of an amplifier/cab setup, but was stupidly (read, ear splitting) loud when cranked to get the best tones from it. So, I run an Engl Thunder50 head and 2x12 cabinet. Plenty of oomph for gigging.

They do some smaller combos with inbuilt power switching, down to something silly like .5 watt. Worth looking into, but they are pricey.

Planning on getting SG soon! Maybe April of 2014! I wonder what Blackstar they are raving about? [thumbup]

SG's just rock! I love all my guitars, but I have the most fun with the SG. It's light, easy to handle, great upper fret access, and with the 490/498 pick ups it just kicks butt!

I know one guy who LOVES his Blackstar HT40 combo.

I have a Marshall DSL40C and I have it hooked up to a Mesa Rectifier cabinet. The DSL40C is an awesome little amp, it has a 12" Celestion also it has the effects loop that the DSL15c doesn't have. To me the loop option and more power are worth the extra $$. This little Marshall when matched with my 2013 Les Paul Traditional sounds really awesome. The DSL amps don't have a lot of reverb, but to me I could care less about reverb. It sounds great at low volumes or high, and if you want to gig the 40C would be a better choice. For a $100 more get the DSL40C you wont regret it.

Thanks for the great insight! I'm talking Rock n Roll and maybe a little metal head stuff. I want to be able to riff some AC/DC, Kiss, G&R and some Led Zeppelin just to name a few! I'm search of a good amount of sound with some great tone for my garage and my friends studio. I'm not going on tour anytime soon either. Just love to play and talk the history of rock with my family, friends and especially my daughter. Thanks again everyone!

For those types of sounds you're looking at Marshall or Orange amps. Vox will likely be too bright. Which exact model will depend on what your want to do with it.

I've narrowed down my search to 3 amps as I have them listed:

1. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSL15C/

2. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Club-40-40W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107220899-i1521959.gc

3. http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/158

Those be the three I like very much! What one would you get and why? If you like something else link it for me. Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!

Tube amps for sure, not solid state. I've heard the VOX AC15C1 is a good, affordable buy. I have typically used and hung on to mainly Fender amps over the past 15 years -- The Twin, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, and added a Dr Z Maz 18 w/reverb 3 years ago. I've a Peavy Delta Blues 15" and use it occassionalyy, prefer the warm and rounder sounding 6L6s and 6V6s to the EL34's and 84's. Just recently purchased for about $475 CDN a new Bugera V55. Yes, it's made in China, but the tone on clean channel is great, nice bottom end. Something very interesting about this amp's circuitry.... I mainly run and mix any 2 amps A/B'd for a really full sound, run the pedal chain through the front inputs (reverb, delay, compressor, boost/overdrive, chorus). Right now, I am running the Bugera with the Vibrolux Reverb. 1995 Les Paul Standard, 2011 Les Paul Classic Custom, 2 Les Paul 60's reissues w/P-90s, all sound great. You may want to consier shopping around for a good used amp from a reliable dealer/vendor.

Totally agree, the Ibanez TSA15 head and the marching 12" speaker cab are a great combo, I picked one up two months ago and am quite pleased with the sound and quality. Great bottom. Was thinking of adding another matching cab with 12" speaker. I find the tone and loudness to be sufficient for a 15-watt head. Usually at about 1-2 o'clock on the volume for clean channel and I don't even have the guitar volume full (Gibson or Fender), and guitar tone tweaked to taste. It's a great little amp, very portable, solid build. Check it out, you'll be surprised.

Done deal for my amp! Ended up with Blackstar HT-5R for a smoking deal! So I pulled the trigger. And let me say this, it's amazing and the tones are incredible! I played a (Ibanez) and was sold how great the crunch was. The Ibanez was really surprising on how it felt in my hands. I really liked it. But only left with a amp. The cleans were even better at medium to high volumes. And it compliments my Gibson Les Paul's! The ISF knob works awesome to if you want UK or USA tones. I would like to thank everyone for helping me out on my search. You people here are the best! Thank you again!

The first rule of guitars is to own lots of good ones - to buy every used guitar that you love that's priced at fair market value. You can get your money out of it when you sell it later. Really good instruments don't get cheaper, just more cheaply made (like those $4000 LP Customs that don't have ebony fretboards anymore.) Just stick to excellent ORIGINAL examples of brands that are well-known for good reasons (and Gibson isn't the only one, even if it's the first one you think of.)

Same with amps. Treat yourself. Own good stuff. Spend money. That's what you work for.

Names like Mesa, Fender, and Marshall are familiar for good reason. Sure, you can find good no-name, new-name stuff but if you had the ear to do that you wouldn't have to ask for advice in the first place.

Good equipment brings out the best player in you.

Pretty happy with my new Blackstar HT-5R combo! I own a Marshall to! I have the best of both worlds! \:D/

If you are happy with it, that's all that matters. I had a Blackstar HT-20 combo for a while, and loved it. I moved on to a Marshall 1974x clone, and it more suits my needs than the Blackstar did. Glad you found what you were looking for! Happy playing!

Archived