Gibson Brands Forums

On the hunt...

JamGuy

well… I guess I knew it would happen at some point; the quest for a "real" Les Paul. I have a LP Special and I love it but I've been hankering for a real deal, two humbucker, maple top, Les Paul. I've been making offers all over the place trying to make a straight trade with a nearly mint '81 Stratocaster. It seems like a fair deal to me as they have some debatable collectors value and this one happens to be a fine sounding/playing Strat. I absolutely cannot spend any money on a guitar right now so I thought a trade might be worth a try. We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to land a Model-T, Classic, Standard, Traditional or Trad. Pro.

I

Good luck. I wouldn't take three 81 stracasters for my Les Paul.

rct

I've really just been spending less and less time with ALL my single coil guitars… the other Strats I have, have at least one humbucker or a preamp installed. I've been getting on with my SGs a bunch. Who knows, it may be what someone is looking for???

IMO, you might be on the wrong forum here. I doubt many Gibson fans will give up a good Les Paul for a Strat. I suggest you look for buyers on some other guitar forum, maybe ultimateguitar. In the meantime, it might be helpful to give some more info on your Strat, such as pictures.

Cheers and hope you find a good deal [thumbup]

IMO, you might be on the wrong forum here. I doubt many Gibson fans will give up a good Les Paul for a Strat. I suggest you look for buyers on some other guitar forum, maybe ultimateguitar. In the meantime, it might be helpful to give some more info on your Strat, such as pictures.

Cheers and hope you find a good deal [thumbup]

Oh, I wasn't so much trying to work out a deal here in this thread. I posted something about it in the Trading Post and contacted a number of dealers yesterday. Seems I did find someone with a near mint Les Paul Trad Pro (in Merlot) interested in a straight trade. It's a 4 hour drive and I think we'll be making the deal this weekend if all goes according to plan! [thumbup]

Here's what she looks like… seems like someone might have changed the knobs and added a "Standard" truss rod cover but the rest looks good to go! It's not something that worries me terribly.

3fma.jpg

Oh, I wasn't so much trying to work out a deal here in this thread. I posted something about it in the Trading Post and contacted a number of dealers yesterday. Seems I did find someone with a near mint Les Paul Trad Pro (in Merlot) interested in a straight trade. It's a 4 hour drive and I think we'll be making the deal this weekend if all goes according to plan! [thumbup]

Here's what she looks like… seems like someone might have changed the knobs and added a "Standard" truss rod cover but the rest looks good to go! It's not something that worries me terribly.

That's a sweet guitar right there [thumbup] let us know how it goes.

Hey, it looks like you got a good deal, it's a nice LP [thumbup]

Can I ask, what differentiates the Traditional from the Trad Pro?

I'm not too up on all the models but I think the big difference is that the TradPro has push/pull coil tap, different tuners, and a different bridge pup…. but I could be wrong.

3fma.jpg

Jiminy Cricketts!!!

That's one sweet-@$$ lookin' axe!!!

I luv my Deluxe in Wine Red, and that one is similar in color and very very nice!!!

Best of luck.

It's like there are Ford folks and GM folks. A Strat can be a versatile and amazing instrument when the magic happens, and can be a so so turd when the fit ain't right or the wood ain't right or the neck ain't right. I love the bite of single coils and the cluck of the strat 2 and 4 positions. And the Tele! Damn! That is a rock solid plank with some definate spank. Seems like the bolt-on neck serves as a high pass filter.

I also love the GIbson P-90 single coils for the sharpness and clarity. My SG will bite from across the room! Clean or distorted amp, these things offer a definition and tone that are unparalleled. imho

But to swap a strat for the LP, you are going to need to come up with a very special strat, or a strat guy who got a LP for their birthday. slim

post-62537-069674500 1390698055_thumb.jpg

WOW!!! [drool]

Once the sun comes up and I can get some nice pictures taken I'll get some up here…

The guitar is KILLER, the pictures didn't do it much justice. Once I got home I took all the hardware off and cleaned and polished everything…. it's stunning. I have to confess, I find/found the matte finish to look a little lack luster [lol] (sorry) but seriously, it does nothing for me so I buffed it to a shine and it's amazing looking now. To each their own, I know some folks like it. What's awesome about it is that you actually can buff it to a smooth shine unlike Fender's HWY 1 series guitars, which when buffed, leave an orange peel effect which IMO looks like crap close up. The LP looks great when shined up. The only changes for her are perhaps some new PIO caps, and the gold/silver reflector knobs and thumb cutters that are on the way. I though it would look cool as a throwback to the 70's standards, and given that the previous owner put a Standard truss rod cover on it, I thought what the heck! I guess they're the same kind of knobs that are on that red Slash LP… not that I hate GnR or anything, but I have to laugh that I'm making this guitar more like his given that I'm a died in the wool hippy.

Anyhow, pics and video to follow!

Here she is… I have a few jam loops I've been working on this morning so I think I can get a video posted sometime today. I've gotten my hands on many instruments over the years, and this is hands down one nicest playing guitars I've ever owned. Yes, it's still new and we're on our honeymoon, but it plays (and sounds) ridiculously nice.

kqpn.jpggz8c.jpg

apx2.jpgm5nh.jpg

s1al.jpglox0.jpg

And a sound check…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltYx-rQtv4

Wow for a Strat you got the Deal Of The Century. Do you know anyone else that wants a Strat for a LP Standard? I love my Strat but for a guitar like that I would leave my hand no questions asked.

It's not actually a Standard, the previous owner added the TRC to a Trad Pro 2. I'm adding some new knobs, pointers, and pickup covers so it does in fact look more like a mid-70's Standard.

Either way, it's an awesome guitar and I was happy to unload that Strat… it's a cool guitar and deserves to get played, it just wasn't a guitar I was interested in holding on to.

Archived