Gibson Brands Forums

Oh no!

Buc McMaster

Well this little rascal was dry as a bone when I received it last Thursday.........poor thing. I've had it sucking up humidity since then and it's relaxed a lot and getting better with each day. In quite good condition to be over 80 years old. This model was cataloged by Gibson 1927-28 and was available as a custom order 1929-30. No telling what year this one is as there are absolutely no marking inside or out. This particular one is said to be one of only two built that has "Gibson" on the headstock (instead of "The Gibson") and that has the painted poinsettia fret markers. I have seen photos of a couple others with wood fretboards (instead of celluloid) and inlaid markers of MOP. It's quite a piece of Gibson history.

Strung it first with the Living Water fluorocarbon strings i use on the Collings.......nice but kind of quiet. This morning I strung it with a set of Aqulia nylguts and I think I like these better on this uke. The C string is quite high in the nut, being cut for right handed stringing, and it's a bit tough to play in the first position. I'll get that fixed pretty quick down at the shop.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9s5ZYpTcdc

I Cant see the picture Buc or view anything with the plug in acc...... talk to Stan Werbin at Elderly... He has one as well... I know mine was bought new in 28... From the original owners family... there fun to putter on..

The uke sounds good and the arrangement is dandy. However, you are sort of approximating the melody and I think it would be worth your while to go back and check on the original melody. For example, if you are playing it in G, the melody starts with four contiguous notes:

B C C# D

I could show the

B(octave higher) B Bb A

world how to smile

What you are singing there sounds ok, but not as good as the original melody. Rest is similar.

Thanks, folks. The scale length between a soprano and a concert is quite a jump.........little fretboard is tight quarters!

And Jerry you are right about the melody. I relied on an apparently unreliable source............the original is much better. Thank for the heads up!

Archived