Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green's actual guitar discussed...

pippy

Yes, he did it to himself, but clearly he must have had some level of it in his genes to begin with, but most schooled on the subject believe the Munich Acid trip/party was the catalyst to the end of his career and even his entire persona as we all knew it to be up to 1970. It is a very sad story!

He didn't "do it to himself". That is not how mental illness "works". Although, yes, I would certainly agree with you that the best way to bring on mental illness in an otherwise healthy individual is to take powerful mind altering drugs and that includes cannabis.

I do not know the genetic mental health history of Peter Green's family but the bare statistics are that if you have one parent who has suffered serious mental ill health (i.e. what we call "madness") then there is a 25% chance of the offspring suffering the same. Both parents mentally ill then it rises to some 2 in 5. But do not ever forget, that the trigger is always environmental - usually severe stress but drugs is the other main cause.

Please excuse my "innocent misunderstandings".

I have only been listening to Peter Green since 1966.

I first saw Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green, Kirwan and Spencer) in June 1969. I was amazed at how hard they rocked.

I do not believe for one instant he was on 'serious psychotropic drugs' the evening I saw him many, many years later in the Splinter Group. He (or whatever management he had at the time) had made a deal with a local recording studio - Jacob's residential studios, now closed - that Splinter Group would play the gig in return for recording time.

I know this because I knew - and played with, many times - the studio's owner Andy Fernbach, who told me that himself. However Green was apparently not very happy with the deal and left the soloing to Nigel Watson.

However I can confirm that he was given ECT (detailed in the book "Man Of The World", not the DVD documentary) and can also confirm that a potato farmer from Kent impersonated him during the 90s, taking in (for one) Roger Taylor of Queen. And I know that because I knew....yeah yeah never mind, my apologies - this thread is about a guitar so let's get back to that eh? The neck pickup was turned round, yes?

Please excuse my "innocent misunderstandings".

I have only been listening to Peter Green since 1966.

I first saw Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green, Kirwan and Spencer) in June 1969. I was amazed at how hard they rocked.

I do not believe for one instant he was on 'serious psychotropic drugs' the evening I saw him many, many years later in the Splinter Group. He (or whatever management he had at the time) had made a deal with a local recording studio - Jacob's residential studios, now closed - that Splinter Group would play the gig in return for recording time.

I know this because I knew - and played with, many times - the studio's owner Andy Fernbach, who told me that himself. However Green was apparently not very happy with the deal and left the soloing to Nigel Watson.

However I can confirm that he was given ECT (detailed in the book "Man Of The World", not the DVD documentary) and can also confirm that a potato farmer from Kent impersonated him during the 90s, taking in (for one) Roger Taylor of Queen. And I know that because I knew....yeah yeah never mind, my apologies - this thread is about a guitar so let's get back to that eh? The neck pickup was turned round, yes?

Perception is reality, I really only meant to try and convey that I wasn't trying to step on your toes or berate or assault your opinion or post in any way and it was on the chance you didn't know that stuff. I am pretty much a newbie here so I expect not to know poster's history and expect to create such conflict accidentally because I'm a long-winded communicator...

You clearly have a much longer history of following Peter Green than I do, and I admire that!

Frankly, in my ignorance of American airplay and pop-culture, I didn't even discover Peter Green or Danny Kirwan until I was 42...

I have been a devout fan and disciple ever since! I have immersed myself in as much knowlege (and ignorant speculation) as I possibly can on the subject because his '59 Les Paul is The Holy Grail to me and frankly so is his playing...

No offense or antagonism intended...

I'd love to hear more about your experiences with Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, and anything Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac or John Mayall's Bluesbreakers!

I think it's fair to say we have some serious PG, DK and GM lovers in this thread and, as it's my thread, I hereby welcome anyone with any views or ideas about any of these phenomenal guitarists to share their memories and stories.

Absolutely Anything. We will all love to read about it, I promise.

I know this is 'only the internet' but it's astonishing how much we can all learn about stuff we all thought we already knew by reading what others have to offer - whether an oldie (like me) or a newbie (like I have been in this thread!).

Before I saw the clip I posted in the OP I thought I knew quite a bit about the PG / GM 'burst. Well; I did and I didn't. That's what makes the clip so fascinating for me!

It's less than 20 mins long but I learned more about that guitar in those 20 minutes than I had done in the 38 years I'd been listening to the guys who actually played it!

As it happens I have a friend (whom I met here) who also knew Peter and Gary in those days and who had the opportunity to play the guitar back in the day.....

Carry On!

P.

Just my opinion, but I really feel that the spirit of Peter lives on in the guitar playing of Snowy White. The two are good friends, and I've hear that Snowy tells of how Peter found time to meet and play with the young, unknown, new to London, Snowy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_N9FQAPau0

I think Peter is still one of the most influential guitar players of the last century

Regards,

Ian.

That's not the cut from 'In the Skies' - I've just checked my vinyl.

Where did that one come from, Ian, do you know?

P.

EDIT : O.K., Google is my friend! Snowy White - "Goldtop - Groups and Sessions '74 - '94". Don't know that one!

I think it's fair to say we have some serious PG, DK and GM lovers in this thread and, as it's my thread, I hereby welcome anyone with any views or ideas about any of these phenomenal guitarists to share their memories and stories.

Absolutely Anything. We will all love to read about it, I promise.

I know this is 'only the internet' but it's astonishing how much we can all learn about stuff we all thought we already knew by reading what others have to offer - whether an oldie (like me) or a newbie (like I have been in this thread!).

Before I saw the clip I posted in the OP I thought I knew quite a bit about the PG / GM 'burst. Well; I did and I didn't. That's what makes the clip so fascinating for me!

It's less than 20 mins long but I learned more about that guitar in those 20 minutes than I had done in the 38 years I'd been listening to the guys who actually played it!

As it happens I have a friend (whom I met here) who also knew Peter and Gary in those days and who had the opportunity to play the guitar back in the day.....

Carry On!

P.

I couldn't agree more! I felt exactly the same after watching that clip for the first time a while back!

And I am also absoltely fascinated by anyone's stories who have actual experience w/Peter, Danny, or Gazza for that matter... And yes Snowy too...

I was going from other personal experiences related to me by another bloke from England whom had met Peter during the Splinter Group days and he said that from his experience it was apparent he was on what he believed to be at least Lithium and possibly other psychotropic drugs treating his Schizophrenia/mental-illness and that he was distant like he wasn't even in the same room with you when in conversation with him, and rather like a zombie. True enough I have zero personal experience with him and simply wasn't there. I was just basing my knowledge, as limited as it is, from another's personal observations as related to me...

I also find that particular topic quite piquant as when he was with Fleetwood Mac I've heard the other guys in the band speak of how he wanted to divest himself of the money and profits from what they were getting from their fame and fortune and how that money was somehow evil or cursed during the whole Green Manalishi period of reoccurring nightmares about the devil etc. in interviews & documentaries. Yet I also heard stories of how egotistical he was in his youth which would seem to contradict that idea. And then again from the personal experiences of JDGM; he clearly seemed to be upset by the lack of money he was getting from a gig. I suspect Bi-Polar disorder can also be attributed to him allowing him to swing to both ends of the spectrum like that... I may have even heard that confirmed, but can't remember at this moment. Very fascinating...

Now I have even more to go on!

Just my opinion, but I really feel that the spirit of Peter lives on in the guitar playing of Snowy White. The two are good friends, and I've hear that Snowy tells of how Peter found time to meet and play with the young, unknown, new to London, Snowy:

I think Peter is still one of the most influential guitar players of the last century

Regards,

Ian.

Yessir! It is quite evident that Peter had a massive influence on Snowy White... I find Snowy to be quite an enigma too. I really like his music and playing and some of the mystique that surrounds his famous '69 (I think) Goldtop. I've watched him and he does an out-of-phase thing with his guitar too. I don't know if it's purposeful or by happenstance, but his pickup is NOT facing the same orientation and is oriented in a stock direction. His is either wired out-of-phase purposely or it's possibly another undetermined circumstance...

I particularly like Peter & Snowy's collaboration that came after he had already left Fleetwood Mac if I recall and out of that/those session/s came "Lookin' For Somebody," and "Slabo Day," among other work that is very piquant and haunting...

Absolutely enjoy Snowy White and absolutely consider him to be within the whole Holy Grail/Peter Green inner-circle of people and things... Love his music too!

He has done some great tributes to Peter in some major international concerts too...

His Goldtop sounds stock in the middle position here:

And it sounds clearly out-of-phase in the middle position here:

I find him to be one of the foremost finger-pickers and find his finger-picking exceptional in both style and performance!

Some good pics of his axe and some good Biography stuff on Snowy

Snowy is absolutely worth adding to this conversation!!!

I couldn't agree more! I felt exactly the same after watching that clip for the first time a while back!

And I am also absoltely fascinated by anyone's stories who have actual experience w/Peter, Danny, or Gazza for that matter... And yes Snowy too...

I was going from other personal experiences related to me by another bloke from England whom had met Peter during the Splinter Group days and he said that from his experience it was apparent he was on what he believed to be at least Lithium and possibly other psychotropic drugs treating his Schizophrenia/mental-illness and that he was distant like he wasn't even in the same room with you when in conversation with him, and rather like a zombie. True enough I have zero personal experience with him and simply wasn't there. I was just basing my knowledge, as limited as it is, from another's personal observations as related to me...

I also find that particular topic quite piquant as when he was with Fleetwood Mac I've heard the other guys in the band speak of how he wanted to divest himself of the money and profits from what they were getting from their fame and fortune and how that money was somehow evil or cursed in interviews & documentaries. Yet I also heard stories of how egotistical he was in his youth which would seem to contradict that idea. And then again from the personal experiences of JDGM; he clearly seemed to be upset by the lack of money he was getting from a gig. Clearly I suspect Bi-Polar disorder can also be attributed to him allowing him to swing to both ends of the spectrum like that... Very fascinating...

Now I have even more to go on!

Yessir! It is quite evident that Peter had a massive influence on Snowy White... I find Snowy to be quite and enigma too. I really like his music and playing and some of the mystique that surrounds his famous '69 (I think) Goldtop. I've watched him and he does an out-of-phase thing with his guitar too. I don't know if it's purposeful or by happenstance, but his pickup is NOT facing the same orientation and is oriented in a stock direction. His is either wired out-of-phase purposely or it's possibly another undetermined circumstance...

I particularly like Peter & Snowy's collaboration that came after he had already left Fleetwood Mac if I recall and out of that/those session/s came "Lookin' For Somebody," and "Slabo Day," among other work that is very piquant and haunting...

Absolutely enjoy Snowy White and absolutely consider him to be within the whole Holy Grail/Peter Green inner-circle of people and things... Love his music too!

He has done some great tributes to Peter in some major international concerts too...

His Goldtop sounds stock in the middle position here:

And it sounds clearly out-of-phase in the middle position here:

I find him to be one of the foremost finger-pickers and find his finger-picking exceptional in both style and performance!

Some good pics of his axe and some good Biography stuff on Snowy

Snowy is absolutely worth adding to this conversation!!!

I am currently discovering Snowy, his sound and playing are amazing, soulfull.

Thank you. That's why I like this forum it helps to discover musicians I didn't know.

I wonder if anyone has 'The End Of The Game', the Peter Green solo album on Reprise which he made at De Lane Lea Studios shortly after he left Fleetwood Mac....? It's just a jamming album but IMO entirely worth it for the 1st track alone, 'Bottoms Up' which is 7-8 mins of the finest, most fluent guitar soloing Green ever did. Some of the greatest lead playing I have ever heard. Around the same time I was fortunate enough to see him and Snowy White jamming, just the 2 of them at a benefit for a small club in Surrey.

I had seen this live performance on The BBC from that very same era and holy cow the look in Peter's eye is like a caged animal! He was clearly deep in the throws of his mental illness and the irreparable damage done by The Munich Acid-trip by this point in his career and it was right at this time that his music took that very notable turn toward that sound he got in "The End of The Game."

Is that Alvin Lee playing percussions? Looks like him to me, but I'm uncertain...

That footage is haunting and I think you can see the madness in his eyes!

It's almost hard to watch after seeing the absolute pinnacle he was less than a year prior...

I think right in this time he still had his chops available in his memory and repertoire, but I don't think it lasted long after that...

But there was definitely something stark, fiery, and different about his playing just before he stepped-off...

Peter Green talking about getting a Les Paul because he needed to sound like Clapton when he joined bluesbreakers..................................................''If I had it to do over again,i would have kept the guitar I had.It was a Harmony Meteor.It was much better for blues than the Les Paul was. !! [omg][crying] .

H70_Meteor_1966_01_zps3c47717d.jpg

Thankyou for your response Jimi.

I thought some more and it was probably 1967 when I first heard Green - that was the year Fleetwood Mac were formed, and when the whole 'Clapton vs Green vs whoever' debate started. At that time Page was still in the Yardbirds and Beck was beginning to make 45s under the direction of Mickie Most.

In the UK, an awful lot happened between 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper' including the incredible advent of Jimi Hendrix. To us, Fleetwood Mac were another pop group - remember that they actually outsold the Beatles one year, maybe two - the singles were huge, absolutely enormous.

The Bath Blues Festival 1969 was the day before my 15th birthday! Here is a link to the site, yes I did see all those legends in one afternoon/evening - unbelievable!

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/the-69-bath-festival.html

Zeppelin were heart-stoppingly exciting, Mayall with the 'Turning Point' band a little disappointing to me, Taste (Rory Gallagher) - the first of many times I saw him, and 10 Years After closed it and really had to go some to follow the Mac.

I don't want to speculate on anyone's mental health (not even mine) as I am ignorant on the subject but Lithium was the drug given to Jaco Pastorius to help control his extreme mood swings, and we all know it is also the title of a Cobain song.

However I do not think Kirwan's problems stemmed entirely from the infamous 'German acid trip' - probably a different set of very complicated personal circumstances. Remember too that ultimately there was a big dispute with their then-manager (we won't name him) who employed a band called Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera to impersonate, that's right impersonate, Fleetwood Mac on an American tour shortly after the departure of Kirwan, leading to a massive lawsuit which of course Fleetwood won.

Thus it was completely surreal to read newspaper reports of the potato farmer (I think he came from Essex in fact) impersonating Peter Green in the 90s. You simply could not make any of this stuff up.

Also intriguing to consider; as the web is such an open forum, one or more of the people we are discussing may even see and read this. Unlikely perhaps but not impossible.....what then, does any of us know? Probably not much really. Have we got our facts right? I hope so. (Edit - I just watched the doc again and he does mention the ECT so I'll shut up)

Regards!

Also intriguing to consider; as the web is such an open forum, one or more of the people we are discussing may even see and read this. Unlikely perhaps but not impossible.....what then, does any of us know? Probably not much really. Have we got our facts right? I hope so. (Edit - I just watched the doc again and he does mention the ECT so I'll shut up)

Regards!

Please DON'T shut up, I thoroughly enjoy your anecdotes and personal experiences! I believe you have some very valuable insight that I am very interested-in!

Thank you for giving me a 2nd chance in spite of my long-winded diatribes... I know full well I go-on Ad-Nauseum at times and can come off sounding like I'm scolding people or even talking down to them and trying to brag about my knowlege, (more likely ignorance) but it's simply not true. I have a curse of over-analyzation to a fault sometimes...

I also understand how typewritten text; meaning one thing, can be perceived as meaning something entirely different as it is read; differently than it is written. So I don't get too flustered when I'm misunderstood or I step in it for myself and miscommunicate my meaning or intention. I half expect it...

I do think your input in this matter is invaluable and I'm learning a great deal from both you and others here on this subject...

I'm with ya, not agin ya...

I'm half hoping Danny Kirwan does read some of my posts... I started a Signature model wish thread in the Les Paul forum for a Danny Kirwan signature R6. I'd love to get a chance to tell him personally what a hero he is to me as a Blues guitarist! I adore his playing and his ultimate iconic presence from the Fleetwood Mac days and he's been a major inspiration for me!

As for Peter, in as much as I have a love hate battle of inner turmoil going on that leaves me in a love/hate frame of mind for losing the Holy Grail Pinnacle that he was to something that if not able to be blamed on the drug abuse, it could be at least a catalyst for losing that perfection, I still consider him to be Peter Green whatever his level of performance is these days, ain't none of 'em that young anymore so I'm good with being glad he's at least still around and still part of the fabric of our current guitar heritage and I would still be honored to speak with him and/or meet him!

If he were playing near my location I know I'd go see him!

• 2 weeks later...

Snowy's G-T is a 1957 one, Jimi.

His wiki entry mentions he bought it in 1968.

Nice snaps in the link, Jimi! Thanks for posting that!

P.

OK, that makes sense to me visually now and polishes-up my recollection on it too... Thanks for the correction!

I'd much rather have my facts straight...

I knew '68 had something to do with it, but I just couldn't remember what...

However I do not think Kirwan's problems stemmed entirely from the infamous 'German acid trip' - probably a different set of very complicated personal circumstances. Remember too that ultimately there was a big dispute with their then-manager (we won't name him) who employed a band called Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera to impersonate, that's right impersonate, Fleetwood Mac on an American tour shortly after the departure of Kirwan, leading to a massive lawsuit which of course Fleetwood won.

Thus it was completely surreal to read newspaper reports of the potato farmer (I think he came from Essex in fact) impersonating Peter Green in the 90s. You simply could not make any of this stuff up.

Regards!

Been lookin' up that Elmer Gantry fiasco, it's amazing how little there is to find on the impersonation thing on the web, but there's tidbits here and there that allude to it...

It was 1974 when the band's manager didn't like the time-off the band was taking (apparently) and he put the fake Mac together to keep some $$ flowing his way I guess...

Wiki says this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac

In one of the most bizarre events in rock history, the band's manager, Clifford Davis, claimed that he owned the name Fleetwood Mac and put out a "fake Mac". Nobody in the "fake Mac" was ever officially in the real band, although some of them later acted as Danny Kirwan's studio band. Fans were told that Bob Welch and John McVie had quit the group, and that Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie would be joining the band at a later date, after getting some rest. Fleetwood Mac's road manager, John Courage, worked one show before he realised that the line being used was a lie. Courage ended up hiding the real Fleetwood Mac's equipment, which helped shorten the tour by the fake band. But the lawsuit that followed put the real Fleetwood Mac out of commission for almost a year. The issue was who actually owned the name "Fleetwood Mac". While it would seem obvious that the band was named after Fleetwood and McVie, they had signed contracts that showed the band forfeited the rights to the name.[citation needed]

During this period, Welch stayed in Los Angeles and connected with entertainment attorneys. Welch quickly realised that the band was being neglected by Warner Bros., and that if they wanted to change that, they would have to change their base of operation to Los Angeles. The rest of the band agreed immediately. Rock promoter Bill Graham wrote a letter to Warner Bros. to convince them that the "real" Fleetwood Mac were in fact Fleetwood, Welch and the McVies. While this did not end the legal battle, the band was able to record as Fleetwood Mac again. Instead of getting another manager, Fleetwood Mac decided to manage themselves.[citation needed]

The fake Mac consisted of Elmer Gantry (vocals, guitar), Kirby Gregory (guitar), Paul Martinez (bass), John Wilkinson (keyboards) and Craig Collinge (drums). Gantry and Gregory went on to become members of Stretch, Gantry later joined The Alan Parsons Project and Martinez eventually became a bassist for Robert Plant's solo efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYv7FaYZgQ4

I also found this about the second of such incidents from the early 1980's: (as bizarre as even one would be) http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25966&page=2

The Guitar Magazine Vol 5 No 6 (June 1995) has an informative article about the Egg and Potato Man. The word about this "Peter Green" started in 1992.

Patrick Hinfen (Essex farmer, purveyor of eggs and potatoes) started hanging around guitar shops, introducing himself as "Jimi Hendrix" and "Beetroot". After a while people started thinking that it might be Peter Green....

David Edwards, then guitarist with the band National Gold and also manager of KME Guitars (guitar shop in Ilford) was contacted by "Peter Green", who was interested in guitars and guitar sounds. Edwards had met the real Peter in the early 80s, and says that Hinfens hands were very similar to Peter's: "....his hands were unusually large and porcelain-like."

Hinfen and Edwards started to visit the Gibson A&R Centre in London's Denmark Street, and the manager there, Jamie Crompton, says that Hinfen had "the same toothy smile as Peter - the shape of his mouth and teeth were very similar - and he had the big hands as well. It all seemed plausible." Gibson A&R Centre offered "Peter Green" to loan a red dot-neck 335.

Hinfen then wrote the foreword to the Gibson book "'Burst 1958-'60 Les Paul Standard."

Even Neville Martin (ex-Guitarist editor) was also fooled. Hinfen said that he would play with the National Gold on their new album. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Queen's Roger Taylor were also contacted and asked if they wanted to play on the album with "Peter Green", but only Roger Taylor were available. So Taylor donated studio time....

Hinfen's wierd appearance was accepted, as it was well known that the real Peter Green had psychological problems.

The recording sessions went on with Edwards doing most of the solos .. Hinfen did a poor version of "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues"!!! Hinfen also expressed interest in playing at Gibson's "Night Of 100 Guitars" centenary gig which Crompton was co-ordinating), but stressed that he had to be home and in bed by 9!!!

In the end Peter's brother Michael was contacted, and could confirm that Peter hadn't been playing with anybody. (In fact the real Peter was at Michael's home at the moment.)

So later Michael phoned Hinfen asking to speak to Peter. "Speaking", Hinfen replied. "You aren't Peter", said Michael. "I'm his brother". Hinfen told him then that he was just a fan of Peter.............. THE END

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction over these foggy notions and rumors that I didn't have a firm grasp upon... Now I do!

Very interesting stuff for sure!

Thanks my friend!

I thought some more and it was probably 1967 when I first heard Green - that was the year Fleetwood Mac were formed, and when the whole 'Clapton vs Green vs whoever' debate started. At that time Page was still in the Yardbirds and Beck was beginning to make 45s under the direction of Mickie Most.

In the UK, an awful lot happened between 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper' including the incredible advent of Jimi Hendrix. To us, Fleetwood Mac were another pop group - remember that they actually outsold the Beatles one year, maybe two - the singles were huge, absolutely enormous.

The Bath Blues Festival 1969 was the day before my 15th birthday! Here is a link to the site, yes I did see all those legends in one afternoon/evening - unbelievable!

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/the-69-bath-festival.html

Zeppelin were heart-stoppingly exciting, Mayall with the 'Turning Point' band a little disappointing to me, Taste (Rory Gallagher) - the first of many times I saw him, and 10 Years After closed it and really had to go some to follow the Mac.

I don't want to speculate on anyone's mental health (not even mine) as I am ignorant on the subject but Lithium was the drug given to Jaco Pastorius to help control his extreme mood swings, and we all know it is also the title of a Cobain song.

Regards!

I watched this again and the 2nd part goes very very in-depth about the subject of Peter's Munich Acid trip and his subsequent diagnosis of Schizophrenia. It is very very interesting...

A bit long, but it covers alot of ground and really answers alot!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to beat this dead horse any furher, but I wanted to add this piece of reference material to his thread...

He blamed the drugs for setting it all off, but at this time it sounded like he was certainly in some denial about the mental illness aspect...

Archived