Gibson Brands Forums

LG-2 Americana

SycamoreDan

It is hard to say whether it sounds boxy. It is one of the best small guitars I have ever played, and I am a big fan of the Martin 00-15m, which is near top in class in my opinion. The LG-2 has a great neck too. I played the one at Russo's they just got in this week. Do not play it - you will buy it.

By the way Rich on the forum here bought one. I am sure he will weigh in.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

a Google search shows the Americana was a limited edition. Price is close to $1000 more than the LG 2 American Eagle.

Is the Americana the same as the LG 2 American Eagle? I have the American Eagle and would say it is not a small boxy sound. It's closer to the J45 than a parlor. That's not to say I'd give up my SJ, but I'm very happy with it.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought there were two different models, but maybe I'm wrong. The American Eagle is a lot of bang for the buck.

There's a previous thread here where I put up a quick iPhone vid on YouTube with mine when I got it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109038-ngd-lg2-american-eagle/

Rich

Just checking out some specs/availability on the interesting little American Eagle. I'm a long way from new to acoustic guitars and/or Gibson, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Gibson and so many other manufacturers these days insist on sticking pickups and electronics of their choosing on factory acoustic instruments rather than providing that as an option if the customer wants their guitar so equipped.

If I'm gonna put $1500-$2500 or more into an acoustic, I'll select the pickup myself, thank you very much, or even whether I want one or not.

I have to say that I was pretty interested in the AE until I got to the pickup part. I have no interest whatsoever in paying extra for a pickup I don't want in the first place (or for one I wouldn't pick if choosing my own).

Anyone have any insight here, other than supposition? I'm curious.

Thanks.

Just checking out some specs/availability on the interesting little American Eagle. I'm a long way from new to acoustic guitars and/or Gibson, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Gibson and so many other manufacturers these days insist on sticking pickups and electronics of their choosing on factory acoustic instruments rather than providing that as an option if the customer wants their guitar so equipped.

If I'm gonna put $1500-$2500 or more into an acoustic, I'll select the pickup myself, thank you very much, or even whether I want one or not.

I have to say that I was pretty interested in the AE until I got to the pickup part. I have no interest whatsoever in paying extra for a pickup I don't want in the first place (or for one I wouldn't pick if choosing my own).

Thanks.

Just an opinion, but across the product line one can choose some models with or without the factory PU, like the Sheryl Crow SJ I have. I chose the one without. There are some that are offered only without the PU, like my Advanced Jumbo. I wanted to be able to play that one plugged in with my group, so I had a PU of my choice installed. Then there are those that come with one installed exclusively, like the AE, J35 and the new J15. These tend to be the more economically priced guitars. Once again my opinion only, but I'd bet the Gibson marketing guys determined they would do better with a "stage ready" guitar at that end of the market. There are other AE sized Gibsons that could be used as examples. Some with optional electronics, some with none and some with the LR Baggs system included.

I also bet if the guys at Gibson got feedback that they were losing sales of the J35 or the AE because the market wanted one for fewer $$ then they would offer it without the PU. So far that has not been the case. The J35 has been a home run.

Rich

Thanks.

I can't get my head around this line of thought at all :-s

Thanks, RichG. Oh, I'm sure it's a marketing deal of some kind. Just seems that they'd want the most flexibility available in order to appeal to the widest customer audience possible. I had a music store 'back in the day" and was a Gibson dealer for most of those years. While I can't say they were always the most customer-responsive line we carried, things like amplification, choice of cases and, in some instances, finishes, were usually left up to the buyer. I think that was a better way -- and that's true (IMHO) whether it's something like the AE or a J-200.

Blindboygrunt:

Don't think it's that tough to understand. I would prefer an acoustic without factory electronics so that I can install whatever brand I prefer --or none at all if I prefer it that way. The Baggs-electrified version would be fine as an option for those who like them, but I just don't like having something like an acoustic pickup shoved down my throat and paying for it whether I like it or not. FWIW, I'm not a Baggs fan. I much prefer the K&K pickup and an Orchid Electronics preamp/DI. Why would I want to pay for the Baggs or ??? just so I could then have it ripped out and replaced with what I like?

I'd guess their new-found popularity is due in part to riding what appears to be a current wave toward smaller-bodied acoustic guitars. Lots of folks (myself included) seem to be drifting away from the once-universal dreads and discovering (or re-discovering) the pleasures of the smaller bodies.

Whaddya think?

Thanks for the responses, guys, especially about the tone. I agree about the pickup. I too prefer the K and K, but if it is being offered for under $2K and it's what you want, I see it as a minor inconvenience to swap out the pickup. Then again, I'm planning on using it for live work and recording. I'm tempted to get an older LG-2, but I don't want to deal with the hassles and possible problems associated with buying a vintage guitar.

Just a question , but what is your cutoff for buying new or vintage? I had a bit of a struggle on the J45 Legend vs a vintage banner. I wanted a small body so I bought vintage LG2. They seem easier to find in nice condition for a decent price unless you're looking for a banner.

I'm less concerned about a particular year than about getting one in good condition that has the tone I hear in a lot of online videos. Right now, I have a Martin 000-15sm, and it just lacks a certain amount of bass and liveliness that I'm looking for. If you watch some youtube videos compliments of the folks at Bernunzio Uptown Music, you'll hear a couple of really nice LG-2s. I want to keep my cost under $2500.

I'd guess their new-found popularity is due in part to riding what appears to be a current wave toward smaller-bodied acoustic guitars. Lots of folks (myself included) seem to be drifting away from the once-universal dreads and discovering (or re-discovering) the pleasures of the smaller bodies.

Whaddya think?

Maybe so. I cannot recall a time over the decades I have not had one or two small body guitars laying around. So I have guess I just ignored this latest wave as they are nothing new or soemthing I need to discover.

Maybe so. I cannot recall a time over the decades I have not had one or two small body guitars laying around. So I have guess I just ignored this latest wave as they are nothing new or soemthing I need to discover.

Well, I suspect that may have something to do with the time frame and who a person was listening to etc. in their formative musical years. In my case, most of the performers I favored seem to have come from the "bigger-is-better" school of acoustic guitar thought, so I guess that's where I ended up for a long time. Until the last few years, probably the smallest bodied acoustic I'd ever owned was a Guild F-30 Aragon burst that I bought new in the late '60s. From there it quickly went to a J-45 and then to a J-200 as my primary playing and gigging acoustic. That J-200 and an outstanding 1977-built Yairi dread were my preferred personal acoustics up until 3-4 years ago. The guitars I've purchased since then have all been smaller bodies of one kind or another.

I played lots of different body styles/sizes and brands through the years -- especially while I had the music store -- but never was really interested in taking any of them home at the time. So it's kind of a re-discovery for me.

Archived