Gibson Brands Forums

Which Epi would you buy?

KrisKapri

Alright so I'm an intermediate guitar player and I've been looking around for a guitar under $500 and I love Epiphones, they're reliable and versatile and I've never really experienced playing any other type of guitar. Anyways, after a lot of research I think I've come down to two guitars. The Wildkat Royale and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro. I've played both and I liked the way the Les Paul played a little bit more, though the Wildkat was extremely good for it's price, it was just a little bit harder to play metal on it, but the clean sound was fantastic. I was wondering what you all think, if you had to chose one of these guitars to keep for over 5 years and not own any other electric guitars, what would your choice be and why?

Also, if you have any other guitars you think would be better, please please please don't hesitate to mention them. I like pretty guitars obviously, but they have to sound as pretty as they look.

Thank you for all the help, here's the link to the two guitars.

Wildkat Royale: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-wildkat-royale-electric-guitar

Epiphone Les Paul Standard: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENLPTLNH/sn13091510282

Thanks again!

Well, the fact that you mentioned the "Metal" genre, means (to me) the

Wildkat is OUT! Not a "Metal" guitar, really. Blues, Rockabilly, Jazz,

even some "ALternative," the Wildkat would be fantastic. But, the Les

Paul, will work for all those, as well...and, can do "Metal," too.

But, they're both great guitars! So, go with the one that will do what

you're most likely to need, and want...and, especially, the one that

plays, and sounds the "best," to you. [thumbup]

CB

Of my four electric guitars: two strats, Epi Sheraton II and an Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro, I would have to say the Les Paul is my favorite guitar to play period. The Sheri is my jazz/blues guitar. The strats are just strats and I like playing them also.

I don't think you can go wrong with the choice of the Les Paul they are nice.

Dennis

Of the 2 I would go with the Les Paul also.

I have an older standard Plustop and just got a 1960 tribute

and they are both really good.

If you are wanting to go "shredding" you will want the fastest neck you can find

so look until you find one! The joy of the "Hunt" so to speak!

In the price range you mentioned "Ibanez" makes some fairly good solid body guitars

that are focused more on the shred Metal style with fast necks. That said , a well set up,

low action, LesPaul, will hang in there with them all so it comes down to "what style do YOU want"?

I agree with everyone here. Go lp. You play a wider range of genres with that. P90s and a semi hollow body aren't made for metal. Look pretty but if you don't plan on getting any new guitars in 5 yrs, then go with the one that'll play most of your musical preferences.

In case it may cost hundred bucks more which are very well spent, I would recommend this one, available in five different finishes:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENTPFCNH/

I own one of these. Hardly dare to say that, but it is pretty close to the three Gibson Les Paul Standards of mine at a fraction of price. The Epiphone 1960 Tribute comes with Gibson USA '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus pickups which are well worth the expense - you may end up cheaper than with buying another model and pickups for modding.

And finally, there is a hardshell case included!

Just saying...

In case it may cost hundred bucks more which are very well spent, I would recommend this one, available in five different finishes:

http://www.sweetwate...etail/ENTPFCNH/

I own one of these. Hardly dare to say that, but it is pretty close to the three Gibson Les Paul Standards of mine at a fraction of price. The Epiphone 1960 Tribute comes with Gibson USA '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus pickups which are well worth the expense - you may end up cheaper than with buying another model and pickups for modding.

And finally, there is a hardshell case included!

Just saying...

I agree with Capmaster, Having just acquired one of these myself, its one of the best guitars I have found in 41 years

The pic is the Avatar photo

Of the 2 I would go with the Les Paul also.

I have an older standard Plustop and just got a 1960 tribute

and they are both really good.

That said , a well set up,

low action, LesPaul, will hang in there with them all so it comes down to "what style do YOU want"?

I've got an older ('96) Les Paul Std Plus Top as well, and it is a very nice guitar. Wouldn't part with it for anything!

LP_IMG_0529pb.jpg

LP_IMG_0521pb.jpg

LP_IMG_0486pb.jpg

LP_hdstk_IMG_0490PB.jpg

It's a toss up really. both of these guitars are very different. set up and action play a big role in how a guitar plays, maybe the Wildkat you played wasn't set up properly. I would say that the Wildkat is a much more versatile guitar than the lP plus top. but who doesn't want a Les Paul. you could get a cheap used Wildkat off the internet and then get something like a Les Paul Jr. Guitar Center has them for only $107.99 US right now. and I think both would still fit your budget.

Look for a LP Prophecy !

The Epi Prophecy LP GX comes with 24 frets, uncovered Gibson 490R/498T pickups including separate push/pull coil split options, and a hardcase stock. Perhaps the "Metal Version" of the Epiphone LPs... ;)

Thank you all so much for responding!

The only reason I'm leaning toward the Les Paul right now is because it seemed to be better with playing songs such as Thunderstuck or Master of Puppets or Eruption than the Wildkat, and I dont know if thats just me or the guitar. If it's me, I'll buy the Wildkat. If it's the guitar, I'll buy the LP.

By the way, I already have a Les Paul case, and I DONT have a Wildkat case, so that's another reason why my budget spiked $100, I can't go a dollar above 500. :/

Kris...

Hope you're happy with the purchase over the long term.

My schtick is one gets the general sort of guitar (electric/acoustic) that seems to help him/her play - and virtually all else is far, far less relevant.

OTOH, one also should consider that one's type of music, especially if playing for money or regularly with others, can change significantly in five years. For example, in the mid '70s I had two guitars I played most - one was an early AE used mostly with "old time" fiddlers and such promoting a lot of US Bicentennial stuff; the other was a Guild solidbody similar to an SG. An old archtop also got a lot of play after the Bicentennial in a country/rock trio because it was marvelously playable for what I was doing.

Bottom line in ways may include playability as a major consideration followed by general appropriateness for the material/venue. The old archtop likely would not have made it with a lot more volume, but it worked very well in small saloons, for example, and even with a baseball bat neck, it easily made a switch among styles appreciated by the audiences in the venues we played.

m

Actually, just bought the Wildkat for $350. Happy with my decision, it's too cheap to pass up that gorgeous guitar!

Thank you all so much for the help

Congrats, mate, and post pics! [love]

Did you find an appropriate case for sheltering her?

Congrats, mate, and post pics! [love]

Did you find an appropriate case for sheltering her?

Thanks a bunch! I'll make sure to :D

I actually didn't yet.. I don't have much more money to put into this guitar, I'm not going to travel with it, it'll stay perfect in my little room [thumbup]

Get a case (even if you go no where except home), they are relatively inexpensive and you will be more inclined to store it in the case, when and if you ever get one. Accidents always happen when you least expect them to. Also, here's a couple pic's of my LP standard pro +. Keep on saving msp_smile.gif This thing sounds great (even with the Epiphone pickups)msp_smile.gif

lpclose_zpse7c8e8b8.jpg

a8369c3f-e5dc-4998-8165-abdda10dba4b_zpsa132d3d9.jpg

How's she play? :)

I love all my Epiphones. This thing is as good as any guitar I've ever played when set up properly. It sounds great but it will feedback at high volume(like all hollow/semi hollow electrics). Learning to control feedback is just one more aspect of learning to play the (electric) guitar "properly". The neck on this is very nice, perfect size (for me), just the right size, very easy to play. msp_thumbup.gif

Get a case (even if you go no where except home), they are relatively inexpensive and you will be more inclined to store it in the case, when and if you ever get one. Accidents always happen when you least expect them to. Also, here's a couple pic's of my LP standard pro +. Keep on saving msp_smile.gif This thing sounds great (even with the Epiphone pickups)msp_smile.gif

lpclose_zpse7c8e8b8.jpg

a8369c3f-e5dc-4998-8165-abdda10dba4b_zpsa132d3d9.jpg

Hopefully at some point I'll have the money to buy one, but for now I need to save about $200 bucks for an amp. Any suggestions?

Hopefully at some point I'll have the money to buy one, but for now I need to save about $200 bucks for an amp. Any suggestions?

Around $200 my suggestion would be checking out the following when looking for most versatility and watts for the money:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Champ40/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang2V2/

and perhaps this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT20Plus/

Fender Mustang 1, or 2, version 2msp_thumbup.gif with a foot switch

Really, for $200 you're not going to get anything better. The 5 year warranty is a very good thing too. Register it online, and save your receipt. msp_thumbup.gif

Save for a wah or multi effects pedal thing too.

or this, and get a set of headphones to go with it

http://www.sweetwate...etail/VT20Plus/

Fender Mustang 1, or 2, version 2msp_thumbup.gif with a foot switch

Really, for $200 you're not going to get anything better. The 5 year warranty is a very good thing too. Register it online, and save your receipt. msp_thumbup.gif

Save for a wah or multi effects pedal thing too.

or this, and get a set of headphones to go with it

http://www.sweetwate...etail/VT20Plus/

That's awesome, thank you. Looks like the Mustang ii V2 is the way to go.. looks great. :D

Archived