Gibson Brands Forums

Tusq saddles?

jsghome

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sayin' Hey to another Dallasite.

Also something to consider, whatever material you decide to go with, your tone is going to change. That is a fact. I'm not saying that is a good or a bad thing, but it won't be the same. If you really like the tone it has now, I would suggest trying to go back with a new adjustable rosewood saddle like it has now. I would think they are still available somewhere, if not on Ebay. Tusq is going to brighten up the sound, while rosewood, and bone, tend to a bit warmer with a little more tone.

Anyone using Tusq saddles? I need a replacement for the adjustable bridge of my '64 SJ CW. Thanks.

SJCW1.jpg

I only use Tusq saddles , nuts and pins-they should increase your sustain significantly-I have them on all my guitars and they work great.

Moose

Tusq is a rather clever marketing tool for something that is virtually the same as the corian counter tops in kitchens. It is a play on the word "tusk" implying that it is as good as ivory. I've seen their adds, claiming more sustain etc....but I don't know what they are referring to...more sustain than a Bob Colosi fossilized Ivory saddle????? I don't think so!!!!

I just replaced the tusq saddle on my guitar with a bone one. It sounded really good with the tusq but sounds even better now. It is not as bright as before, but to my ear has a fuller, more balanced and even tone than it did.

Out of curiousity, why are you looking to use tusq?

I put a BC bone in my bird but went back to the tusq. The bone with the hog wood was just a little too warm for me. Now in a maple Dove' date=' I imagine the BC Bone would be killer!

[/quote']

Interesting. I've got a sitka/bubinga combination, and the bone is pretty darn nice. Did mellow it out a bit and give it a "cleaner" depth.

OP: beautiful guitar you've got there.

I just replaced the tusq saddle on my guitar with a bone one. It sounded really good with the tusq but sounds even better now. It is not as bright as before' date=' but to my ear has a fuller, more balanced and even tone than it did.

Out of curiousity, why are you looking to use tusq?[/quote']

Discovered Tusq while searching for saddles.

I'll check on the Colosi bone ones next. Will they have better or just different tones?

Interesting. I've got a sitka/bubinga combination' date=' and the bone is pretty darn nice. Did mellow it out a bit and give it a "cleaner" depth.

OP: beautiful guitar you've got there.[/quote']

Thanks. My father bought it for me in 1965.

Discovered Tusq while searching for saddles.

I'll check on the Colosi bone ones next. Will they have better or just different tones?

In my opinion the tone will be different (reread my description above). Will it be "better," well, that's for you to determine.

I put a bone saddle on my Sheryl Crow and loved it, more sustain and balance without changing the character of the guitar, so when I bought my CJ 165 I ordered a bone saddle right away, when it came I took off the Tusq, sanded down the bone, dropped it in, strung it up and began to play...not good... now my lovely CJ just sounded like a.....guitar, a nice guitar to be sure but not the great tone of the CJ I had before, so off came the bone and back went the Tusq, two very different guitars, two different reactions to the same change.

I put a bone saddle on my Sheryl Crow and loved it' date=' more sustain and balance without changing the character of the guitar, so when I bought my CJ 165 I ordered a bone saddle right away, when it came I took off the Tusq, sanded down the bone, dropped it in, strung it up and began to play...not good... now my lovely CJ just sounded like a.....guitar, a nice guitar to be sure but not the great tone of the CJ I had before, so off came the bone and back went the Tusq, two very different guitars, two different reactions to the same change.[/quote']

Have any idea what in the one guitar "responded" to the bone saddle, and why the second one didn't?

jsghome' date='

My 2007 Sheryl Crow is a spitting image of your CW (except for the adjustable saddle) and comes with a Tusq saddle. Works quite well, thank you. Same on my Seagull.

Cheers,

Les[/quote']

Found this Tusq on Ebay, which claims to fit older or classic Gibsons with adjustable bridges. Is this what is being used within the forum?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PQ-9016-00-TUSQ-ACOUSTIC-SADDLE-ADJ-FITS-GIBSON-NEW_W0QQitemZ370136557726QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item370136557726&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Have any idea what in the one guitar "responded" to the bone saddle' date=' and why the second one didn't?[/quote']

I have no idea why, but I like it. It illustrates to me the individuality of each instrument, I am sure my CJ sounds slightly different than any other, people who love wooden boats often think of them as living things, I think that way about acoustic guitars.

If the measurements are right, that would do the job quite nicely for your set up.

Archived