Gibson Brands Forums

'88 custom LP...value?

MichaelDH

Stopped at a pawn shop this morning and they had a custom LP, said it was a 1988. Played nice, but was pretty worn, torn and beat to Hell. The insert on the headstock was peeling, major scratches on the back of the body, pick up surrounds torn and bent, etc. Body cap was maybe an A or AA grade.

They had a price tag of $4,000.00 on it. A little extreme for the condition? I thought that maybe 1,000.00 or under, it might make sense as a restoration project, but can't see that kind of money for the wear and tear.

Norman's Rare Guitars, has a pristine 1990 (which is the closest in year, to the one

you're asking about), Les Paul Custom (Flame top/cherry burst), for $3,795.00. So,

if that one is "trashed" as you say, and a regular "black" model, without the figured

top...4 Grand seems to be WAY out of line!

http://www.normansrareguitars.com/gibson-1990-les-paul-custom-flame-top.html

Chicago Music Exchange, as one (1986) Charcoal finish, that's a lot more USED,

that they want a similar price, for. So...???

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/electric/brands/gibson/les-paul/gibson-les-paul-custom-charcoal-metallic-1986/

Whatever the Market, or "Demand" allows, as always. [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

Thanks for the responses and info. I thought about making an offer but wanted to get a little feedback first. Maybe before long I can go back, get a couple pics, and post them to get some additional feedback.

It's an 88 Custom.

Nothing collectible.

How much is a new Custom in your parts?

If I was to spend 4 grand on an 88 Custom I would rather buy a new one.

You gotta watch pawn shops.

99% of the time they are a rip.

You gotta keep your eyes open for that 1% deal they miss.

It happens, but for the most part they ask ridiculous prices.

At least around here.

I own an 89 Les Paul Custom in Alpine white in perfect condition and according to Vintage Guitar's 2014 Price Guide, value is rated from $2200 (Low) to $2800 (High). I'm assuming the Low to High refers to it's condition so yes - the $4k is waaaaay out of line. On the other hand, I wouldn't take $4k for my Custom because of the history I have with the guitar (memorable gigs with my brother before he passed away), it's in such perfect condition and it's the only LP Custom I own and I don't plan on ever buying another one.

I own an 89 Les Paul Custom in Alpine white in perfect condition and according to Vintage Guitar's 2014 Price Guide, value is rated from $2200 (Low) to $2800 (High). I'm assuming the Low to High refers to it's condition so yes - the $4k is waaaaay out of line. On the other hand, I wouldn't take $4k for my Custom because of the history I have with the guitar (memorable gigs with my brother before he passed away), it's in such perfect condition and it's the only LP Custom I own and I don't plan on ever buying another one.

[thumbup] Good decision! [biggrin]

I won't part with my 1980 LP Custom (Cherry Sunburst) either! Norlin era, or not!

It's always been a Great (playing and sounding) guitar!!

CB

No problem, man! [biggrin] Aside from it being beat up, how is everything else on it?

By the way, here's my 1982 Les Paul Custom:

qfo87Vc.jpg

It actually didn't play too bad at all. A lot of obvious wear, but might be something that can be cleaned up, have a few things replaced, and be put back into fairly good condition.

It actually didn't play too bad at all. A lot of obvious wear, but might be something that can be cleaned up, have a few things replaced, and be put back into fairly good condition.

Cool. Hope it works out to where you get it, man! If you do, be sure to post some pictures of it here! [biggrin]

Archived