Gibson Brands Forums

1963 A40 Mandolin Question

JReynolds10

I was recently given this mandolin and I know next to nothing about mandolins. It is missing a pick guard and the top of the tailpiece. Besides that it is in pretty decent shape. I wanted to get someones opinion that knows what they are talking about. What do you guys think of it? Is it worth spending a little money to get restored? What do yall think the value of it is "as is" if I wanted to sell it to buy a new guitar?

post-63877-036138900 1394036514_thumb.jpg

post-63877-068476800 1394036529_thumb.jpg

I play mandolin but know nothing about Gibsons... [biggrin]

The lower frets look worn as typical for a mandolin

Probably a serial number check worthwhile to establish authenticity

Then perhaps web search for similar instruments to compare asking/selling prices...

Good Luck...!!

V

:-({|=

I tracked the serial number and it is authentic and it came from Kalamazoo,MI in 1963. So I know I am good there. It has been in the family for close to 30 years. I have searched and searched for something similar but I am finding numbers from $800-$1400. I'd just want to know what some of you would pay for it so I don't screw over myself or whoever buys it.

I love this model - they're very affordable by Gibson mandolin standards and I actually like the sound of Mahogany over the equivalent age Maple A-50s. As-is you're probably looking at a few hundred dollars, strung up with a properly fitted bridge (and a fret dress if needed), playing at its best you might be looking in the high hundreds. $1400 is maybe achievable for a dealer with a good reputation but unlikely in a private sale, plus you're missing a few parts.

Or you could string it up and play it - it's a pretty great choice of mandolin to learn on!

Post-war Gibson mandolins are no nearly as sought after as the pre-War instruments. I would say you are looking at something in the $600 to $800 range depending on condition and originality. I do not see a value anything near $1400 as at that price range you are in pre-War A-1 (with money left over) or even A-2 territory

No there is no need to restore it. If I could encourage you, and I may not, sell it as is. Anyone who is knowledgeable will appreciate it in its "unrestored" condition.

I am not sure what "restored" means but would rather take in a basket of original parts, than restored. Just in case my luthier happens to better than yours.<g>

JR10, you'll get a more in depth answer on another forum next door - The Gibson Original Instruments forum , for banjos and mandolins. G'luck.

Actually, that forum is generally pretty dead.

The best place to inquire would be Mandolin Cafe - but honestly, Zomby pretty well nailed it.

It's a mandolin with potential & would be great for a starter, but it's not particularly high on the list in terms of demand.

Archived