Gibson Brands Forums

How do you like my headstock?

Norlinhoarderman

Whuzzat an aborted attempt at a refinish?

I just don't get how one gets to be like that otherwise...

It makes me sad and looks hideous, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to play it!

I'd only buy one looking like that for the right price; bargain basement throw-away price, and anyone knowing it plays phenomenally ain't gonna sell it fer that so I suspect I'd never buy a beater because to the owner it ain't just cheapo junk and they'd want fair value for it's potential...

About the only thing I won't consider are axes with a classic headstock repair... I just can't bring myself to do it...

Even though The Holy Grail has had just such a repair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOdXWLrxPk

I know I know... We've gone there before...

[scared]

My Word! Those Knobs are Horrible ! ! !........[laugh]

Headstock? Doesn't bother me too much.

If it were my guitar I'd probably spend some of my loose change getting it 'prettyfied' but I'm sure you're happy with the way it looks so Why-ever Not?

I've never had a T-Top'd guitar but they're meant to sound gnarly.

Altogether a rather sweet looking axe.

Apart from those f'ugly knobs, that is........

[thumbup]

P.

EDIT : Why did you post both pictures upside-down? Are you an Australian, perhaps?..............................:-k

[scared]

My Word! Those Knobs are Horrible ! ! !........[laugh]

Headstock? Doesn't bother me too much.

If it were my guitar I'd probably spend some of my loose change getting it 'prettyfied' but I'm sure you're happy with the way it looks so Why-ever Not?

I've never had a T-Top'd guitar but they're meant to sound gnarly.

Altogether a rather sweet looking axe.

Apart from those f'ugly knobs, that is........

[thumbup]

P.

EDIT : Why did you post both pictures upside-down? Are you an Australian, perhaps?..............................:-k

Guess this is about picturing closer to a player's view :rolleyes:

The beauty of the witch hat knobs seems to translate better this way, too [scared]

;)

Is that a broken headstock repair with the refinishing omitted after glueing?

I'm thinkin' yes after a rexamination...

I get it now...

It's too bad the crown was all sorts of messed-up by that...

But hey if the owner loves it that way, why not...

How do you like my headstock?

As far as busted headstocks repairs go, that one's pretty darn ugly, but....

I personally prefer to see the naked repair than some half-assed attempt to conceal and hide it. Even as far as a "professional" refinish after a major repair, I've always felt this was some kind of fraud and misrepresentation, unless actually necessary for playability.

I say rock on with battle scars.

Yeah those upside down pics suck don't know how I managed that. The knobs are beautiful aren't they..3 dollar knobs with the numbers sanded off..they don't look so terribly wrong from 5 feet away. At least they didn't ruin the serial number. I forgot this is the collector not necessarily player site but here is another pic anyway before I bow out. Have a good day ya all!!! Yee haw!image-26.jpg

As far as busted headstocks repairs go, that one's pretty darn ugly, but....

I personally prefer to see the naked repair than some half-assed attempt to conceal and hide it. Even as far as a "professional" refinish after a major repair, I've always felt this was some kind of fraud and misrepresentation, unless actually necessary for playability.

I say rock on with battle scars.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

...The knobs are beautiful aren't they..3 dollar knobs with the numbers sanded off..they don't look so terribly wrong from 5 feet away....

...I forgot this is the collector not necessarily player site but here is another pic anyway before I bow out. Have a good day ya all!!! Yee haw!

I think you've picked some of us wrong, Norlin.

From my own point I was just being silly mentioning the knobs. Sorry if the humour missed it's target!

As it happens I have a set of witch-hats on a guitar I've owned for almost 40 years so I can't hate them that much. But you weren't to know that, of course.

And it IS a sweet looking axe!

As I said in my post; I don't mind the h's much at all and I'm sure the guitar plays as well as you say it does.

You clearly have experience enough to know what makes a good SG.

Finally, as Cap says, we're all (mostly) players - only a few of us are collectors and I'm certainly not one of them.

P.

I think you've picked some of us wrong, Norlin.

From my own point I was just being silly mentioning the knobs. Sorry if the humour missed it's target!

As it happens I have a set of witch-hats on a guitar I've owned for almost 40 years so I can't hate them that much. But you weren't to know that, of course.

And it IS a sweet looking axe!

As I said in my post; I don't mind the h's much at all and I'm sure the guitar plays as well as you say it does.

You clearly have experience enough to know what makes a good SG.

Finally, as Cap says, we're all (mostly) players - only a few of us are collectors and I'm certainly not one of them.

P.

Yeah, I'm a player... I went and kinda butchered my 1st ever Les Paul; a Y2K Limited Edition Deluxe Reissue, (that I bought in 2012) by refinishing the neck w/Urethane because the Y2K nitro finish it was not cured/set enough for my hands and always felt gummy and got too much buildup while playing for me...

My '04 LP Standard LE (that I purchased in 2013) I have no problem with the nitro finish on the neck...

My neck finish on my Deluxe don't look great up close, and I'm going to see about doing a slightly better job of it this summer for my own satisfaction, but it plays very nice for me now and I love that axe!

I fuggered it a little by letting it dry in direct sunlight and it began to melt the masking tape where I masked-off the binding that for whatever reason I decided to mask-off and not refinish the last 3/16" of the side of the neck over the binding. I had to work at it for hours to get off all the making tape stickum and goo. It also left a pretty harsh transition line just off the binding. I'm going to finish right to the corner/edge of the fretboard/binding this time around...

My axes are for playin', not lookin'...

But I do like a new glossy lookin' axe myself...

I like witch hats only if the pots turn relatively easy and they aren't falling off on their own..I don't like looking for knobs on the carpet when I'm drunk. my 1977 Es 355 and 73 345 had them and they were ok. This SG has those crap ones you see on ebay in a bag of 100 for a dollar..big numbers like they have on Hiwatts or something..I had to sand off the numbers because I could see the numbers across the room and they looked way wrong. Someday I might get better knobs..all I have around here for spares is old speed knobs at the moment. It's a beater guitar for sure but it's cool that it's very loud not plugged in...I just kick back and play it without an amp sometimes. When it's plugged in I can't explain it but it sounds awesome to me. Back in 1988 I had a 1963 LP SG standard that sounded pretty good but my girlfriend slammed the door of my trans am on the case behind the seat and broke the neck off right through the case..this 69 sounds way better. I'm pretty sure gibson went with the large pickguard not to protect the finish but to help hold the neck in the body. Blah blah blah have a good day ya all! Yee haw!

Whuzzat an aborted attempt at a refinish?

I just don't get how one gets to be like that otherwise...

It makes me sad and looks hideous, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to play it!

I'd only buy one looking like that for the right price; bargain basement throw-away price, and anyone knowing it plays phenomenally ain't gonna sell it fer that so I suspect I'd never buy a beater because to the owner it ain't just cheapo junk and they'd want fair value for it's potential...

About the only thing I won't consider are axes with a classic headstock repair... I just can't bring myself to do it...

Even though The Holy Grail has had just such a repair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOdXWLrxPk

I know I know... We've gone there before...

Good job its his favorite guitar then, he probably isn't looking for a good price! [flapper]

Archived