Gibson Brands Forums

I like it but.......

bluesman0007

Let me start off by saying that I wanted an SG, I had looked at the brown Gibson SGJ but I felt like most of us, that the Epi's give you comparable instruments for less money. I would like to modify it a little, already didn't like the yellow pickup switch and painted it black. I was thinking that I like the wood grain of the body, but maybe to get a little more shine putting a coat or two or more of a clear coat of something. Any ideas, not interested in touching the neck just the body. As a side note when I changed the strings soon after I purchased the guitar I did try stinging over the stop bar and I haven't had any issues with tuning at all. This has been my Rocksmith guitar and I play a lot of alternate tunings and it doesn't seem to mind, stays in tune and easily changes. It did take a lot of the angle out of the strings up to the bridge. Just an FYI.

Can you post a pic of the strings where you went over the stop bar? Was thinking about doing this myself but have heard negative reviews about it, want stay in tune but I have read to that it takes alot of stress away from the head of the guitar if I remember right. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Can you post a pic of the strings where you went over the stop bar? Was thinking about doing this myself but have heard negative reviews about it, want stay in tune but I have read to that it takes alot of stress away from the head of the guitar if I remember right. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Here you go.......

IMG_1085_zps5f3ed181.jpg

IMG_1086_zpse5c2b627.jpg

I like the wood grain of the body, but maybe to get a little more shine putting a coat or two or more of a clear coat of something. Any ideas....

IMG_1086_zpse5c2b627.jpg

Bluesman0007,

Seriously?

First let me congratulate you on your new guitfiddle.....HNGD!!!!

How much more shine do you want? Looks gorgeous to me!

Willy

Bluesman0007,

Well, it is poly, You could try a small test spot in some hidden area on the back or bottom with some of these (or something like them):

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Hand_polishing/Micro-Mesh_Soft_Touch_Finishing_Pads.html

After that, I would be looking at some quality polishes. (nothing with silicon) Beyond that, you could remove all polish and

go to adding a gloss coat that is not "flat gloss".

Best I can guess.

Hope others know more,

Willy

First, that's a great looking guitar!

Second, I'd be worried about those strings. Putting a bend in wire reduces it's breaking strength by 50%, and those strings are tensioned up against a sharp edge. I'm not an expert (don't even play one on TV!), but that looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

I've never had an issue keeping tune on any guitar with a stop bridge. My experience is admittedly limited to the floating bridges (with trems) on my Strats and the stop bridge on my Sherry, but everything I've read supports the idea that decked and stop bridges are immune from tuning issues.

If that's not the case, I'd like to know more about it. I'd still worry about tensioning my strings against a knife edge, though. Did you bevel or de-bur that edge in any way?

First, that's a great looking guitar!

Second, I'd be worried about those strings. Putting a bend in wire reduces it's breaking strength by 50%, and those strings are tensioned up against a sharp edge. I'm not an expert (don't even play one on TV!), but that looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

I've never had an issue keeping tune on any guitar with a stop bridge. My experience is admittedly limited to the floating bridges (with trems) on my Strats and the stop bridge on my Sherry, but everything I've read supports the idea that decked and stop bridges are immune from tuning issues.

If that's not the case, I'd like to know more about it. I'd still worry about tensioning my strings against a knife edge, though. Did you bevel or de-bur that edge in any way?

To me, as I look at the bridge and saddles, to me, I'd say the strings would be more apt to break at the saddles and not the sharp edge of the bridge...but that's just me.msp_rolleyes.gif That guitar looks quite nice with the strings going over the bridge. We all know what "lives" under the bridge...lol

I really had no problems with tuning or string breakage of any kind with any of my guitars. I just wanted to give it a try and see if it made any difference in tone or anything else. The edge of the stop bar is not really a knife edge there is a little radius. I had read about some guitarists doing this and thought I'd see what was different. I've been playing it maybe 50 hours and doing a lot of alternate tuning and it hasn't been a problem at all. Not sure if I will do it again or not but all it costs are a set of strings. No other ideas on the shine.....?

Dennis

• 1 month later...

For the bridge, if it works for you, and it does, keep it that way unless problems occur.

As for adding Polly, why not get a good polishing wax an buff it to a shine first.

If you do not line the finished result, then try a Polly spray.

That's my 2 cents.

BTW, she looks great.

Archived