Gibson Brands Forums

What strings for LG2

King Freddie

I just get a Gibson LG2 from 1960. I like the neck more than the 1950 and older width and profile. I tried different sets of strings from my reserve but as I play on Martin Rosewood OM models,

maybe I need to change and adapt my preferences to this new guitar.

On this LG2 I shall play mainly blues. After trial and errors, the 11-52 gauge sets feel better from my kind of playing.

I now hesitate between 80/20 and Phosphor bronze ... As I have some Martin and D'addario sets in stock, I tried them.

But what is your opinions on the

Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings

Gibson Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings

These 2 sets are new to me. But maybe have you other suggestions ?

Many Thanks

When I had a '60 LG-2, I used Guild Phosphor Bronze light gauge, 12-53 or whatever they were in the 80s. Later on I switched over to D'Addario PB light gauge, and towards the end I was using John Pearse Phosphor Bronze light gauge strings.

FWIW, if I had that guitar back today I would string it with John Pearse 960L Pure Nickels in the 12-54 gauge. They will feel lighter than the bronze ones in the same size, and you will be shocked by how loud and clear the guitar will be. I recommend them also because the guy who taught me what I know of acoustic blues used to rave about the old Gibson Mona-Steel strings. I also think the clarity those strings provide will work well with the perfect balance of an LG-2.

I also prefer daddario ej lights on mine.the gibson mb strings are actually pretty good but they don't last for more than a day or two for me.

As far as the difference between 80/20 and pb.

80/20s are brighter but only for the first day or so, after that they are actually warmer than pbs of the same brand.

They both will sound good most likely, I prefer pbs on most guitars though.

I was having problems with the Gibson MBs on my 1959 LG3 - too bright with a ping - so I tried the dreaded Elixirs and it is...perfect. Took the nasty ring out of it.

I usually have those Gibson MBs on everything, but couldn't get them working on the LG3, which has a strange nylon saddle, I believe.

BluesKing777.

I was having problems with the Gibson MBs on my 1959 LG3 - too bright with a ping - so I tried the dreaded Elixirs and it is...perfect. Took the nasty ring out of it.

I usually have those Gibson MBs on everything, but couldn't get them working on the LG3, which has a strange nylon saddle, I believe.

BluesKing777.

I think I know exactly what your talking about. The masterbilts have some kind of weird metallic sounding overtone on some guitars. I noticed it on my eastman parlor guitar and the j45, but not on my lg2

I have tried many different brands, alloys, and gauges on my LG-2 and have settled on Gibson MB 80/20s...

The LG-2 is not shy in the trebles and midrange, and coupled with PBs, too brassy for me. 80/20s start off even more so, but quickly die to a warm mellowness. Month old 80/20s played with bare fingers brings out the best tones in my LG-2 .

Gday Your Highness King Freddy.

I've got a 1951 LG-2 currently sporting Martin 80/ 20's as i got them for a present.

I'm normally just a D'Addario lights bloke..EJ-16's. So at first I wasn't so fussed on the 80/20's but after a week I liked them fine.Had them on for months now I confess.

I think they have a good longevity to my ears...fingerpicking bare fingers mainly but ok with a pick too.

I have tried many different brands, alloys, and gauges on my LG-2 and have settled on Gibson MB 80/20s...

The LG-2 is not shy in the trebles and midrange, and coupled with PBs, too brassy for me. 80/20s start off even more so, but quickly die to a warm mellowness. Month old 80/20s played with bare fingers brings out the best tones in my LG-2 .

Same results on my Custom shop B-25, but especially with well played in 80/20 Mediums, tuned a half step down.

Same tension as lights then, but the extra mass brings this guitar alive

Archived