Gibson Brands Forums

Would you buy a guitar like this?

Randmo

Just surfin and found this guitar for sale, the bridge is lifted and the top is cracked. This particular one is overpriced considering the issues. But if you found something like this for the right price would you buy it? Looks like it just needs hydrated.

[imagejpg1_zps1a2b8089.jpg

Depends completely on what the guitar is. The repair is the same cost on a guitar that will be worth $200 afterwards, and one that will be worth $2000.

I probably wouldn't buy a modern guitar in this condition, but would certainly consider it for the right vintage guitar, depending on what else it needed and what I would end up with afterwards.

I'm with Nick, it doesn't bother me as long as the price reflects the condition. As long as there's no prior botched repair and the split is clean, the seam should come back together well with proper humidification. The repair is pretty simple once the seam is tight.

The split in the picture looks like a good candidate for repair.

I once bought a guitar with a well done neck (crack) repair, making the price too good to pass up. On the guitar you've shown, the split and bridge lift are easily fixable. As the others have said, it would depend on the guitar and the price.

I'd far rather be confronted with a gaping crack and the bridge hanging off than the same guitar slathered in epoxy by a well meaning 'repair' man. But as others have said, it would depend on the guitar whether dealing with the issues would be worthwhile.

Archived