but i can find no other 'examples' of such a model .. The closest thing

to it i've seen is an SG-400 Pro ...

Can anyone educate this 'beginner' ??

Also, what might be the best brand of 'roller bridge' to use to replace the

existing Tune-a-Matic ??

post-65280-000400700 1400279858_thumb.jpg

post-65280-072272900 1400279905_thumb.jpg

post-65280-014925700 1400279925_thumb.jpg

Need pic's of front, back and head. If possible, please post a few pictures of subject guitar. msp_smile.gif

hey thanks .. .i just uploaded pics that you thought would be useful ..

The head is the openbook with cut-off corners

Is china made and appears as quite good quality ..

Tune-a- matic ..

about 1.68" nut width

Could it be the SB400 Pro ??

Ideas welcome!

hey thanks .. .i just uploaded pics that you thought would be useful ..

The head is the openbook with cut-off corners

Is china made and appears as quite good quality ..

Tune-a- matic ..

about 1.68" nut width

Could it be the SB400 Pro ??

Ideas welcome!

Not sure about the "540" and "SB" designations you have mentioned. It looks quite like my SG, which is a SG-400...not pro, common Epiphone SG type electric guitar. Does your guitar have "push/pull" potentiometers ? (you can pull the knobs out and push them back in to make different tone sounds ?) If it can do that, it is an SG pro, if not, just the "400" designation, no "pro" or "plus". You are correct, they are nice indeed. msp_thumbup.gif

Maybe others will have differing comments.unsure.gif I'd play that msp_smile.gif

Not sure about the "540" and "SB" designations you have mentioned. It looks quite like my SG, which is a SG-400...not pro, common Epiphone SG type electric guitar. Does your guitar have "push/pull" potentiometers ? (you can pull the knobs out and push them back in to make different tone sounds ?) If it can do that, it is an SG pro, if not, just the "400" designation, no "pro" or "plus". You are correct, they are nice indeed. msp_thumbup.gif

Maybe others will have differing comments.unsure.gif I'd play that msp_smile.gif

Sorry! was my typo: SG , yes ... and thanks for the clarification .. Now to learn if it's finish is nitro ... which would give an allergic reaction to certain foam-lined guitar stands ...

jon

That guitar has a polyurethane coating. It IS NOT not coated/finished with nitro cellulose, it has a "poly" (polyurethane) finish. msp_smile.gif

That guitar should be fine with the stand you mentioned, because it DOES NOT have a "nitro" finish.msp_smile.gif It is coated with polyurethanemsp_smile.gif

Guitars with whammy bars use "roller bridges" in order to stabilize tuning issues. That guitar does not need a "roller bridge" because smile.gifit has no whammy barsmile.gif Guitars with whammy bars come out of tune with aggressive attack. A roller bridge keeps the guitar from coming out of tune as much . Without a whammy bar, a roller bridge is not necessary.msp_smile.gif

If you decide to modify the guitar by adding a whammy bar (usually a "Bigsby" brand "vibrato tailpiece" or something similar) then try a GFS or Wilkenson roller bridge. Without a whammy bar, your guitar really doesn't need a roller bridge.

Others may have additional comments.

The two types of finishes traditionally used on guitars are nitro-cellulose lacquer and polyurethane. Most guitar companies use polyurethane. Fender used nitro until the late 1960s and Martin and Gibson still use nitro finishes on their guitars, Epiphone uses polyurethane. Nitro finishes and polyurethane both have their advantages and disadvantages. The primary advantage of polyurethane is that it is very strong and durable. However, it dampens the wood, which prevents the guitar from fully resonating. Nitro-cellulose lacquer provides a softer finish that allows the wood grain to breath.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz3202PyyUG

Archived