Gibson Brands Forums

Recording at home

btoth76

Everything I remember from the unsuccessful attempts on PC recording about ten years ago is that it is very recommendable to use a dedicated PC for audio purposes only. This computer must never get any web connection and should use the operating system as is at the time of release exclusively. Any update might foul up audio editor performance. This point of view is shared by everyone using PC for recording. Most of these guys use Steinberg Cubase, some Ableton Live or Cakewalk Sonar.

No problems with Apple systems so far. As said by the users I know, they are much more reliable. No one who switched from Windows PC to Apple for audio applications would ever go back. Some also use the same Mac units for internet, too, and reported of no trouble due to it up to now. This seems to apply to Apple Logic as well as to Motu Digital Performer. They told me that Ableton Live works nicely, too, but I don't know anyone in person using it on Mac.

Funny thing... I've not had problems with the PC rig I'm using. And that PC is five years old and has more junk on it than you might imagine - which is why I also keep a batch of external hard drives around.

Granted, my setup is not for a band, just a mike and guitar or a "player" of some sort for vinyls, CDs or tapes.

Yes, it works quite well copying old cassette tapes and such and does the stereo as well as the input device. I guess it seems to me that the problem is in how the software might address memory or the CPU on some machines with some other software running simultaneously. It just ain't been a problem for me on two different PCs with WinXP and two different versions of Intel CPUs.

m

The guys reporting about performance problems told me about either weird things happening after system updates, and others ceasing to work anymore. It was about playing back MIDI sequences as well as audio settings like levels, EQs or FX assignments. They all performed multichannel recordings comprising fairly many audio and MIDI tracks, but still far below the rated system capabilities. The best way for recovering performance usually has been re-installing the original Windows system, XP in most cases.

Here's my setup.

studio_zps52fb448a.jpg

I use CUBASE 7.5 with EZDrummer (they just came up with V2, which is great). I also have my old Casio CZ1 keyboard, which is used as a midi trigger. I have my Vetta II amp, which I mostly put directly into a Steinberg UR44 audio interface (not pictured here). I also have Firestudio Project for bigger jobs (it's on the rack). I've got SM57s if I want to use mics for the amp recording though. All my old gigging equipment is in my basement and I'll pull various components up if I need them. I still have my old analog 4-track recorder, which is collecting dust! I mostly use the CUBASE for everything. This is all way more than I need, but it's a lot of fun.

Here's my setup.

studio_zps52fb448a.jpg

I use CUBASE 7.5 with EZDrummer (they just came up with V2, which is great). I also have my old Casio CZ1 keyboard, which is used as a midi trigger. I have my Vetta II amp, which I mostly put directly into a Steinberg UR44 audio interface (not pictured here). I also have Firestudio Project for bigger jobs (it's on the rack). I've got SM57s if I want to use mics for the amp recording though. All my old gigging equipment is in my basement and I'll pull various components up if I need them. I still have my old analog 4-track recorder, which is collecting dust! I mostly use the CUBASE for everything. This is all way more than I need, but it's a lot of fun.

Nice setup, spaceman. Way too tidy for me though :lol:

Hello!

I am thinking about establishing a home recording environment. As many of You might already know, I am a bedroom-player, without talent and ambition to become a pro.

I'd like to ask those of You, who have already found proven ways of making quality records at home, - obviously - without spending massive amount of money. In my case, buying expensive equipment simply makes no sense. I am looking for the best price-effective solution.

What I would like to become able to, is to record signals from front of my amps (also directly from my Low-Z LP Recording), piano, harmonium. Also to mix tracks, connect a drum computer.

Please share with me, how You do it? What equipment You are using (mics, cables, softwares, audio interfaces, etc...)

Thank You in advance... Bence

I converted the pc computer i used in college to music use, stripped the programs out and made space. Using Audacity for recording. there's a learning curve to engineering with Audacity, but it is free. Small passive mixer connected mono to the line-in of the computer. Desktop speakers are monitors. A couple of mics, a good dynamic and a condenser. That's pretty simple and effective, although I cannot quite get past the novelty of home recording ... try and take this setup seriously!!! ha ha. I have small tv tray yamaha keys plugged in now, one bass and one treble keys, trying to get good sounds. It's a challenge to get those small keys singing but you can. usb mic records drum track from bass keys, bass keys and treble keys live to one track. that's a simple way of doing the track. add guitars and vocals. enhance it with more keys. harmonica. whatever. portable keyboards can sound big through a tube amp and/or a powered speaker with effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Here it is! Arrived yesterday. (Sorry for the mess on my colleague`s desk - next to mine... [unsure])

2014-05-27121200_zps109d952f.jpg

After a half an hour of turning the knobs randomly - without opening the manual -, I could record something. Then another layer on top of it. Of course, it will take some time to master all the functions, but doesn't seems frightening at all. Works well with the Low-Z Les Paul too! [thumbup]

Now, I will set up a PC workstation soon, install the included Cubase LE7 and build some monitors. I'll keep You updated. I don't expect it all to happen fast, will see...

Thank You for all Your advices, again!

Best wishes... Bence

I don't know if your plans are to record something you enjoy or to record something creative but let me give you a little piece of advice in case that's what you're looking to do:

Before you get all inspired and get creative and get to work on that track you WANT to record....

record something you don't give a poo about and LEARN the stuff (software, hardware, doo daas)

re-create an easy song with an easy beat that's like 2 minutes long, one that you are so familiar with you could do in your sleep AND that you know what it should sound like.

Ani DiFranco once said, "And you gotta crawl through the desert between when you hear it and when you can play it with your hands..." and its so much worse when its recording 'cus when you're learning the equipment you get inspired and minutes later you get frustrated. Avoid frustration, learn the thingies THEN record.

Sopmeone on here gave me this advice and it was [thumbup]

There may appear sudden stage fright when the red light goes on, or switches from blinking to solid... [crying]

I think the aspect of staying cool can be as important as the manual and vocal skills. [rolleyes]

Hello Izzy!

There are two things I looking forward to.

One is, that we are making all kinds of promotional videos, E-learning stuff at work. We need to record the sounds in a professional quality - often we need to adjust those (de-essing, and such).

But, mainly: I am bored of just fiddling with my guitar, however not interested in forming a band. I'd like to experiment with arranging, creating backing tracks, and sophisticated guitar harmonies. As I think, that's the only way for me to boost my creativity at this point. That's what I really want. Creating instrumental music for my own excitement. :)

Hello Capmaster! Surprisingly, I didn't experience any stage-fright so far. I was very excited messing around with the device. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Izzy!

There are two things I looking forward to.

One is, that we are making all kinds of promotional videos, E-learning stuff at work. We need to record the sounds in a professional quality - often we need to adjust those (de-essing, and such).

But, mainly: I am bored of just fiddling with my guitar, however not interested in forming a band. I'd like to experiment with arranging, creating backing tracks, and sophisticated guitar harmonies. As I think, that's the only way for me to boost my creativity at this point. That's what I really want. Creating instrumental music for my own excitement. :)

Hello Capmaster! Surprisingly, I didn't experience any stage-fright so far. I was very excited messing around with the device. :)

Cheers... Bence

Glad your excitement about the new gear overrode that about being recorded. [biggrin] I remember these experiences, too. [rolleyes]

However, there's something I have to warn you of. De-essing, called de-ethhhing after the prothethhh, ith the motht needlethhh and uthelethhh thtep in audio producthion. Thome Thteely Dan recordingth thhould do ath bad ekthampleth. Got it? [lol]

Glad your excitement about the new gear overrode that about being recorded. [biggrin] I remember these experiences, too. [rolleyes]

However, there's something I have to warn you of. De-essing, called de-ethhhing after the prothethhh, ith the motht needlethhh and uthelethhh thtep in audio producthion. Thome Thteely Dan recordingth thhould do ath bad ekthampleth. Got it? [lol]

LOL!

Hello!

Here it is! Arrived yesterday. (Sorry for the mess on my colleague`s desk - next to mine... [unsure])

2014-05-27121200_zps109d952f.jpg

After a half an hour of turning the knobs randomly - without opening the manual -, I could record something. Then another layer on top of it. Of course, it will take some time to master all the functions, but doesn't seems frightening at all. Works well with the Low-Z Les Paul too! [thumbup]

Now, I will set up a PC workstation soon, install the included Cubase LE7 and build some monitors. I'll keep You updated. I don't expect it all to happen fast, will see...

Thank You for all Your advices, again!

Best wishes... Bence

If you like yours as much as I like mine, you'll be one happy guy.

Have you checked out the rhythms and insert effects yet? The amps/effects are quite convincing and combined with the rhythms you can remain happily detached from your PC ... at the lake ... running on batteries ... :)

Congrats!

[lol] Hello Capmaster!

Don`t tell that to my boss...He is convinced and very desperate about de-ethhhing. [biggrin] You know, He is the guy who gives me money for bread... :D

Cheers... Bence

If you like yours as much as I like mine, you'll be one happy guy.

Have you checked out the rhythms and insert effects yet? The amps/effects are quite convincing and combined with the rhythms you can remain happily detached from your PC ... at the lake ... running on batteries ... :)

Congrats!

Hello Bob!

Since - I stupidly - didn't buy a EU-style adapter, (it came with UK-style) - I had only a couple of hours to mess around with it until the batteries went dry...

But I did try the amps and effects - pretty much the same ones that I have in my Zoom MS-50G mini multieffect processor (v. 2 update). They are indeed very nice!

For the first time, I could try my '78 LP Recording's settings in Low-Z mode, through headphones. I loved that guitar, and now I love it even more. Fantastic tonal possibilities it has. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bob!

Since - I stupidly - didn't buy a EU-style adapter, (it came with UK-style) - I had only a couple of hours to mess around with it until the batteries went dry...

But I did try the amps and effects - pretty much the same ones that I have in my Zoom MS-50G mini multieffect processor (v. 2 update). They are indeed very nice!

For the first time, I could try my '78 LP Recording's settings in Low-Z mode, through headphones. I loved that guitar, and now I love it even more. Fantastic tonal possibilities it has. :)

Cheers... Bence

I guess you will love the Hi-Z direct recording tones of conventional magnetic pickups, too. I do this for flexibility when selecting virtual amps and cabinets, but sometimes use the direct signal with as is or with just a little low cut.

Once I had the experience with a UK wall plug instead of a CEE7/4 one. Luckily it was just about a wall plug - IEC connector cable because the unit came with a built-in power supply. Since it's the only way to make ends meet at the multiple socket power outlet in the 19" racks of mine, I switch from supplied cables with angled wall plugs to short ones with straight wall plugs from the start. So I just smiled when I found the improper power cord. The shop later changed the cable with a matching one without problems when I was there the next time.

However, it was about an expensive unit from a very reputable brand, an Apogee Big Ben digital master clock. After the British parliament renamed the British original, my bandmates and me switched to calling that apparatus made in USA Elizabeth Tower, too. ;)

• 1 month later...

Any updates on your R24 experience?

Hello!

First of all it`s fun.

It is a convenient unit for an enthusiast, for home recording. It`s a stand-alone digital recorder and a DAW interface, which cooperates with the included CuBase software. It has a drum computer, with huge amount of editable samples.

Also, it`s seems to me, that it was designed with guitarists in the main focus. It has all the guitar effects and amp simulation my Zoom MS-50G pedal has. You can connect Your guitar directly to a high-Z input, adjust the effects as necessary and record while listening to it through headphones, or speakers. It has a pair of very good quality condenser microphones built-in too.

Easy, convenient to use. Navigation, track assignment can be quickly done - smart operation. Records in pretty high-quality. Is it a professional tool? I guess it is not, but fulfills all the needs of an amateur (however I don't have clue what a pro might need in a recording device).

Dislikes: as most things these days, it's casing made of plastic. It gives me the impression of a fragile device.

Cheers... Bence

Archived