Gibson Brands Forums

JCM 800 question

bobby b

Hi, I am not a member of any Marshall or Amp forums so i figure this may be a good place to ask. I have a 89 LP standard ( with the Bill Lawrence HB/L & HB/R pickups ).

I also have a Mesa 50w combo that is great but I am Jonsin' for a Marshall. Years ago I had a JCM800 that I kick myself now for ever selling....so it goes.

I have the chance to get a 1982 JCM800 amp that was in a combo, the PO removed it from the combo case and made it into a head. Other than the fact that is a bit narrower than a regular Marshall head are the amps the same? Any thing I should be looking for?

Thanks y'all

Cheers

Hi, I am not a member of any Marshall or Amp forums so i figure this may be a good place to ask. I have a 89 LP standard ( with the Bill Lawrence HB/L & HB/R pickups ).

I also have a Mesa 50w combo that is great but I am Jonsin' for a Marshall. Years ago I had a JCM800 that I kick myself now for ever selling....so it goes.

I have the chance to get a 1982 JCM800 amp that was in a combo, the PO removed it from the combo case and made it into a head. Other than the fact that is a bit narrower than a regular Marshall head are the amps the same? Any thing I should be looking for?

Thanks y'all

Cheers

They made a JCM800 combo?

Here is the link .... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4467097149.html

The guy isn't replying now though so maybe he sold it...

There were a few of the combos though the 80's .... here is another for sale...... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4424186811.html

both vertical input versions just like the early JCM 800 heads .

I've seen a few people do this where they modify the combo cabinet and make it a head. In fact, I actually looked into doing something like this to my own JCM800 4210 combo (the combo version of the 2205 channel switcher). That one should be the same as a 2204 head, and either came out of a 4010 (50w 1x12) or a 4104 (50W 2x12) combo but I'm thinking because of the size it was probably the 1x12 combo. It says "functions perfectly" and while it's entirely possible - when these older Marshall's are left unserviced for a while can start to do weird things. After buying mine I had to have a tech go through the whole thing. Luckily I have a great tech and it wasn't that costly, but I would definitely think about that when negotiating price.

$600 seems really good for that amp given it "functions perfectly" as he says. Considering that a 2203 head or 4104 will run about $1000-$1500 in good cosmetic and functioning condition. Maybe it's priced that way because he modified the cabinet AND it's a little shaky cosmetically, but either way I would be suspicious about it. listen for excessive hum, volume drops, and if possible pull the chassis out and look for anything that might seem funky like and mods he may have done. If it powers on and rocks out I'd say $600 is a great deal. It's a 30+ year old tube amp so it's going to need some TLC, but if you don't mind shooting it over to your tech every once in a while then go for it.

Since the amp is exactly the same as the 2204 head when you plug into it you should expect nothing less that that familiar JCM800 80's rock tone.

here is one for sale on ebay with some pretty good pics so you can compare this to what a nice clean one would look like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MARSHALL-JCM-800-50-WATT-LEAD-MODEL-4104-GUITAR-AMP-VERY-GOOD-UPGRADED-/171313351611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e3124bbb

Marshall made seven JCM800 combos not including the Club & Country models.

Single channel amps: 4001=15W 1x12, 4010=50W 1x12(2204 equiv), 4104=50W 2x12(2204 equiv), 4103=100W 2x12(2203 equiv)

Dual channel amps: 4210=50W 1x12 (2205 equiv), 4212=50W 2x12(2205 equiv), 4211=100W(2210 equiv)

I like the single channel amps made before 1984. They're the easiest to work on. The pots are not directly soldered onto the circuit board.

The chassis were smaller on the combos so the homemade head boxes are usually smaller as a result. Lots of people have converted them. Other than that they're identical as far as

components are concerned. If it sounds good and you can get it for a decent price I would snag it!

Marshall made seven JCM800 combos not including the Club & Country models.

Single channel amps: 4001=15W 1x12, 4010=50W 1x12(2204 equiv), 4104=50W 2x12(2204 equiv), 4103=100W 2x12(2203 equiv)

Dual channel amps: 4210=50W 1x12 (2205 equiv), 4212=50W 2x12(2205 equiv), 4211=100W(2210 equiv)

I like the single channel amps made before 1984. They're the easiest to work on. The pots are not directly soldered onto the circuit board.

The chassis were smaller on the combos so the homemade head boxes are usually smaller as a result. Lots of people have converted them. Other than that they're identical as far as

components are concerned. If it sounds good and you can get it for a decent price I would snag it!

Awesome info .... I kind figured that the combo amp components would be the same as the heads, just wanted confirmation....cheers.

Yeah , I have been reading that early 84s and pre 84

's are the one's to snag , flying leads on the

's are pots..... and correct me if I'm wrong but the early ones are tube rectified..... the switch to Diode rectified, channel switching,fx loop etc.... came after 84 ?

cheers and thanks

The two '82s I have both have diode bridge rectifiers. I've never seen a JCM800 without one. I think Marshall switched to those in the '70s. Not sure when. Probably early to mid 70's. It does not affect the sound at all and is more stable and lasts much longer than a tube rectifier. You might be thinking of the phase inverter. That's a tube used in class AB or push pull amps which is what all JCM800 tube amps are.

The two '82s I have both have diode bridge rectifiers. I've never seen a JCM800 without one. I think Marshall switched to those in the '70s. Not sure when. Probably early to mid 70's. It does not affect the sound at all and is more stable and lasts much longer than a tube rectifier. You might be thinking of the phase inverter. That's a tube used in class AB or push pull amps which is what all JCM800 tube amps are.

I would like to respectably disagree. I've played around with my dual rec switching between the silicon diode and tube rectifier and there is a difference, not necessarily a difference in tone, but a difference in response from the amp, the 'sag' as it is referred. I like the tube rectifier response for playing clean and low to moderate gain rhythm and high gain lead/solo parts. Something about the attack i just enjoy.

I would like to respectably disagree. I've played around with my dual rec switching between the silicon diode and tube rectifier and there is a difference, not necessarily a difference in tone, but a difference in response from the amp, the 'sag' as it is referred. I like the tube rectifier response for playing clean and low to moderate gain rhythm and high gain lead/solo parts. Something about the attack i just enjoy.

Interesting. I use tube rectifiers on my home made 5W amps. 5Y3s. I personally don't notice but then I don't switch back and forth. I believe the sag results from the tube rectifier's inability to hold the voltage tightly on the tube plates under load, it sags. And that changes over time as the tube ages. I think that's why Marshall changed to diodes, stability and longevity and much cheaper. But I can see someone liking it. It should make your tubes run slightly cooler and that can affect tone.

• 4 weeks later...

So ........ dude finally got back to me

I GOT THE AMP!!!!

Could not be happier. such a ballsy amp.....I fargen' love it!

It was advertised as a 1982 but is in fact, a 1984 Canadian model50W JCM800 ( 4010 ) , basically an upside down 2204. The head cab is essentially the bottom speaker area of the combo cut out to leave only the bottom 'base and the top /amp section then these 2 parts were put together to make a head. Kinda crude box plus a couple of missing knobs..but oh well ..... it will be a project either to reno the existing 'box' or to build another. But I figure that $600 for the amp was fair enough...?!?

Early JCM800's that I have see for sale locally are usually around $1200-$1300 here in Vancouver Canada

The 1983(stamped) Drake transformers and the whole chassis are immaculately clean, no dust and grunge has settled on the chassis over the years I guess hanging upside down has it's benefits :)

It had been modde to 6550 tubes ( canadian models came stocked with EL34's ). While it did sound good with the 6550's I already have a high headroom 6L6 amp and wanted the classic JCM800 EL34 flavour as a go to option...without trying to get 'that sound' with pedals.

I luckily live close to the famous Mr Ho. (invented the Ultimate attenuator ). I got him to bring it back to stock and also put all new JJ 50uf+50uf 500V Filter Caps. He did it all for me right away!! He just said come back in about 2 hours... Was great to chat about amps tubes etc..with him too!

.....so $150 for new tubes/caps/un-mod/re-bias. I also thought was a very fair price

Sounds awesome with my LP ..... a perfect match ann covers alot that my Mesa etc.... can't get to.

Happy day !!

PS: BTW..... I stand corrected it is a diode Bridge rectifier ....... as are all ( most?!? ) JCM800's

Cheers

[thumbup]

Archived