Gibson Brands Forums

2014 ES-335 studios

hi13ts

First with the SG Original and now with this? Seems like Gibson is reading the forums. Pretty happy to see these guys. I'd rather a 2 vol/tone configuration, but this isn't too bad. Has anyone tried it yet? I was also discerning whether or not to pick up a Midtown Custom from zZounds until this came out. The Midtown is flashier with the inlays, binding, etc., but it surely can't match a real 335 tone. Please give a comparison of both if you've tried both.

New 335 studios: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/2014/ES-335-Studio.aspx

I really like the look of this. It fits well with the Les Paul Studio from an aesthetic point of view. Presumably we'll only get opaque finishes due to the laminated top and back, but the sunburst looks really attractive.

LP Studio's without binding, OK. ES-models without it, especially the body binding,

just look "wrong," to me. But, that's just Me! [tongue][unsure]

Even the Epi "Dot" Studio has body binding! :mellow:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Dot-Studio.aspx

CB

Yeah, I know, the first one was a turn-off because of that, but the more I see it, the less bothered I am by it. I bet a blatantly plain finish like ebony might accentuate its binding bareness more than the sunburst. The ES-335 is such a tough guitar to get because of prices, so I'm really anxious to try one of these out to see if it meets the sound/feel test. If it does, I may be able to finally own a 335 without blowing savings. Looks like a good gigging guitar if you're less-than-precious with your guitars onstage.

Still waiting to try out a Midtown. Those look great, but I can't imagine them having that 335 tone being only a chambered guitar and not semi-hollow.

I think they're a great design for the more contemporary (younger) players. I think it's a smart move on Gibson's part. Hey, I love the looks of my 335 and I've wanted one since forever. But, they are pretty old-fashioned looking and I'll bet the younger guys will take well to the newer visual design.

Oops. They called it a "semi acoustic" on the product description page. Is that right, or were they just semi-paying attention when they edited it? [biggrin]

Archived