Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-35 Collectors Edition

B1ues Boy

I posted this a while back concerning J-45's, and it got some member's panties in a twist, but it does make a point…..there have been several (even more) NEW models of J-45's since I posted this (please let's all update the list!!) but the point is, that it seems that the J-35 is going the same way as the J-45, and there ain't that much differences between the models….I know, I know….it's just marketing, and choice is good, but still….lol….again, this list makes me smile, maybe even laugh a bit….please update!!! Let's see if we can break 50!!!!

1.GIbson J-45 Classic

2.GIbson J-45 Modern

3.GIbson J-45 Custom

4.GIbson J-45 True Vintage

5.GIbson J-45 Pro

6.GIbson J-45 Artist

7.GIbson J-45 New Vintage

8.GIbson J-45 American

9.GIbson J-45 Legend

10.GIbson J-45 Studio

11.GIbson J-45 Pre-war

12. GIbson J-45 Deluxe

13. GIbson J-45 Limited

14. GIbson J-45 Standard

15. GIbson J-45 Studio reissue

16. GIbson J-45 Custom Koa

17. GIbson J-45 Custom Maple

18. GIbson J-45 Custom Rosewood

19. GIbson J-45 Long scale

20. GIbson J-45 Antique Natural

21. GIbson J-45 LTD 1960'S J-45 ,Ebony Black

22. GIbson J-45 LTD 1968 J-45 ,Cherry Red Finish

23. Gibson J-45 - Wine Red

24. Gibson J-45 - Vintage Sunburst

25.Gibson J-45 Cobraburst

26. Gibson J-45 Amberburst

27. Gibson J-45 Red Spruce Sunsetburst

28. Gibson J-45 Historic collection

29. Gibson Brad Paisley Signature J-45

30. Gibson John Hiatt Signature J-45

31. Gibson J-45 Celebrity

32. Gibson J-45 Reissue

33. Gibson J-45 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

34. Gibson J-45 Custom Vine Rosewood

35. Gibson J-45 Reissue Historic

36. Gibson J-45 V.O.S.

37. Gibson J-45 Pure voice

38. Gibson J-45 Koa Maui Wowie

39. Gibson Standard CST J45 Madagascar Rosewood

40. Gibson J-45 Western

41. Gibson J-45 Modern Classic

42. Gibson J-45 Gold top

43. Gibson J-45 Brazilian

44. Gibson J-45 Flamed Maple LTD

45. Gibson J-45 Mystic Rosewood

46. Gibson Kazuyoshi Saito signature J-45

47. Gibson J-45 Banner WWII

Ok,I get it...but....really,who cares if you just want a good guitar.As a player,we make the choice based on sound and playability,assuming we can afford the guitar.I leave the marketing to big business.

Based on what I think this particular J-35(Collectors Edition)will sound like,if it resembles my 2011 Fuller's '39 J-35 Reissue,it is a superb guitar.Don't care what came before it,nor should anyone else.

In this class of Slope(Jumbo) I've played a Kopp K-35A,Flamming J-35 and a Vintage Gibson 35(or 36)J-35 recently.The prices ranged from $4350-$10,000....I loved the Kopp and Flamming.The Vintage J-35 was one of the worst sounding guitars I've ever touched.......Went home,directly,and played my Fuller's 1939 J-35(acquired for $2800,last year, incl shipping and a rather long return policy).It was darn close to what I loved in the two private builders' "J's".So much so that I'm thinking it under priced for this level of USA made instrument,considering the specs.

So,at $3000,incl shipping, I see this new collectors edition J-35,with a nice Adi top,SB finish and current Gibson quality which has been clearly obvious over the last few years(I've only gotten interested in Gibsons a few years ago and fail to see any obvious flaws on a consistent level)it is a "fair deal"....I won't say "cheap" because in this world that phrase is over used,imo..even a thou is a lot of moola. -:)

Btw,I certainly don't want to seem disrespectful of other,contrary opinions here....Just my 2 cents.

Look…forget what color they are painting the horse these days….the label and name shouldn't matter one bit….in fact, go to the store and play them all blindfolded!!! This way you won't be swayed by "true vintage" or these other catch names, who knows, you may find a marketing-nameless regular old J-45 that blindfolded, will knock your blindfold off, and you will surprise yourself by what you choose!! Blindfolded brings everything down to sound and feel….and ultimately, that's what it's all about……not in specifications and a NAME!!! Take the blindfold test!! Surprise yourself!!THEN, get ready to go deep into that wallet!!

Ok,I get it...but....really,who cares if you just want a good guitar.As a player,we make the choice based on sound and playability,assuming we can afford the guitar.I leave the marketing to big business.

Based on what I think this particular J-35(Collectors Edition)will sound like,if it resembles my 2011 Fuller's '39 J-35 Reissue,it is a superb guitar.Don't care what came before it,nor should anyone else.

In this class of Slope(Jumbo) I've played a Kopp K-35A,Flamming J-35 and a Vintage Gibson 35(or 36)J-35 recently.The prices ranged from $4350-$10,000....I loved the Kopp and Flamming.The Vintage J-35 was one of the worst sounding guitars I've ever touched.......Went home,directly,and played my Fuller's 1939 J-35(acquired for $2800,last year, incl shipping and a rather long return policy).It was darn close to what I loved in the two private builders' "J's".So much so that I'm thinking it under priced for this level of USA made instrument,considering the specs.

So,at $3000,incl shipping, I see this new collectors edition J-35,with a nice Adi top,SB finish and current Gibson quality which has been clearly obvious over the last few years(I've only gotten interested in Gibsons a few years ago and fail to see any obvious flaws on a consistent level)it is a "fair deal"....I won't say "cheap" because in this world that phrase is over used,imo..even a thou is a lot of moola. -:)

Btw,I certainly don't want to seem disrespectful of other,contrary opinions here....Just my 2 cents.

Well spoken, MT, and matches my thoughts as well!

Dave in SLC

What MT says- :)

Archived