Gibson Brands Forums

It's time to redesign the guitar

Jayla

I'll weigh in

Written like the 12 year old.

"Why are they still making guitars with "real" strings that are difficult and boring to learn how to play and really make your fingers hurt? What is the point? Do we still slaughter our own cows? Dig our own wells? Work in the turnip fields for 18 hours a day, six days a week? No. Buttons have proven themselves to be much easier and more efficient."

Best to draw him a picture:

Because without someone doing the slaughtering, digging and turnip picking... This nicklenubbin air guitar player would starve to death for want of the pre-packaged hamburger meat that appears out of thin air, die of thirst first for lack of water produced by shiny metal work hanging on the wall and not know which end of a turnip to eat.... if'n he knew where to find one. ---------------- which means, without the blood sweat and tears of mastering a 15th century instrument... the 5 Crayola colored buttons would be ... silent.

"Better to be silent and thought a dolt than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Bet this neadertal doesn't even have a girlfriend.

It is what it is and it ain't what it aint. It's a childs toy. It ain't a man's instrument.

It is what it is and it ain't what it aint. It's a childs toy. It ain't a man's instrument.

#-o:-k#-o:-k=D> =D>

Like I said in a previous post. My 12yo plays guitar and was certainly inspired to do so by GH. My 4yo is another budding player. They even use the 335 version when they play - Dad's guitar!

In a cluttered tiny cramped little spare room there is a 1941 Edward Powers 66 key mini upright piano that I have "close" to being in tune and most of the keys work freely.

Somewhere in my house there's a big honkin' Casio keyboard with all the whiz-bangs and holy-craps. It could simulate angels or a nuclear holocaust and all points in between and does it all in an efficient and sterile fashion.

The Casio could go away and I'd never miss it. The old thrice-painted uglyass $75 runt piano is my friend, complete with real strings and tactile feedback. If I'm nice to it, it's nice back. If I'm bad to it, it's bad back. I like it a lot.

I guess a 12 year old kid would get more instant gratification out of an electronic keyboard but the old orphan piano is much more gratifying in the long run. That relates to the whole guitar thing I guess......

i read this article and yeah its a bunch of $hit...in the sense that we need buttons instead of strings...there is a reason the violin, guitar, and other stringed instruments have been around so long...and don't worry i dont think this kids blog is going to change the face of music...

but he does bring up one valid point...why not redesign the guitar?

i'd be curious to see what happened...

the closest thing i can think of that resembles a guitar overhaul would have to be the Carbon Fibre guitars that i am seeing now...

blackbird for starters has one they call the "rider"

its carbon fibre...has no truss rod...and has stereo sound holes...one in the head of the guitar where the truss rod cover normally goes and one above the low E string...

a waterproof...virtually indestructible guitar that can be used as a canoe paddle if you lose one??

not too bad of an idea!

I'll have to go back and reread it, as I thought the writer was being ironic! (I read it late last night and could be mistaken.)

Whatever the case may be, the argument he is making, whether intended ironically or not, is BS of course. I just found the article interesting because it highlights what I find to be a fascinating trend: people more and more choosing "virtual" activities over "real" activities: rather than really learn to play the guitar, they'll learn to play a game simulating playing the guitar; rather than play tennis, they'll play a game simulating playing tennis; rather than sit and play with their kid, they'll watch a video with their kid showing a celebrity sitting and playing with his kid; etc. It's amazing! I wouldn't think you could *pay* people to do this s***, that is, to prefer a simulation to the thing itself.

Of course I realize that a simulation is a thing too, albeit at a once remove from the thing it is simulating, and that having an on-line conversation like this is like, well, simulating a real ... well ... okay, whatever.

am i the only one that can see this for the British humor that it is?

perhaps it was done that well, but i think the writer intended to be so over the top that it would be obvious he was joking.

read his other blogs. they are all over the top.

perhaps it was done that well' date=' but i think the writer intended to be so over the top that it would be obvious he was joking.

read his other blogs. they are all over the top.[/quote']

This was definitely my take on it.

Modoc! We are in accord!

perhaps it was done that well' date=' but i think the writer intended to be so over the top that it would be obvious he was joking.

I'm with you. I think it's pretty darn funny.

....I guess a 12 year old kid would get more instant gratification out of an electronic keyboard but the old orphan piano is much more gratifying in the long run. That relates to the whole guitar thing I guess......

It probably smells better than the box of chips Casio too.

Could be. I've never understood British humor... humour much.

I thought it was hilarious. Ironic as well. I've read many similar articles and it certainly gave me the impression that there was a strong hint of sarcasm the whole way through, no?

british humour i reckon eusa_think.gif

Man, that was hilarious! He was definitely being sarcastic.

He was right that this sub-culture of Air Guitar or Guitar Heroes is breeding a sub-generation of air heads who think that every thing comes easy and have no appreciation of the creative process of music making nor the technologies behind the gadgets and devices that they take for granted.

Man' date=' that was hilarious! He was definitely being sarcastic.

He was right that this sub-culture of Air Guitar or Guitar Heroes is breeding a sub-generation of air heads who think that every thing comes easy and have no appreciation of the creative process of music making nor the technologies behind the gadgets and devices that they take for granted.[/quote']

Plus there's the implicit idea that for such people the simulation of the activity has come to replace the actual activity.

Comedy or sarcastic...We are trying to find the easy way out in all aspects of life. Think about the last 10 yrs give or take a few. You can play on-line card games, dating, shopping, medical advice...whatever. We text instead of talking, email instead of actually writing a letter....Pick up food from a quick store instead of cooking. I don't know exactly where I am going with this but the world it is a changing......

read his other blogs. they are all over the top.[/quote']I picked it up. I mean, they threw in a hurdy-gurdy reference. Pre-medieval instrument references mean one of two things - a report on pre-medieval instruments, or humour.

And don't let that 'U' fool you - I'm born-and-raised American. I don't have an advantage when it comes to British humour.

Archived