Gibson Brands Forums

Why missing fretboard dot on 3rd fret?

cliffenstein

AJ-220S missing the dot

DR-220S has the dot

AJ-500 has the dot

DR-500 missing the dot

Anyone have any clue why?

Beats me. I bought an LP Custom because it has a fret marker on one ... ;)

Beats me. I bought an LP Custom because it has a fret marker on one ... ;)

For years I was wondering if leaving out the first fret's markers makes other Les Paul guitars inferior. Now you confirm my suspicion being reasonable. [scared]

[biggrin]

Regular EPIPHONE:

AJ-220S missing the dot

DR-220S has the dot

MASTERBILT reverses it:

AJ-500 has the dot

DR-500 missing the dot

Anyone have any clue why? I do not like the missing 3rd fret dot....looks unfinished.

that's strange - any AJ220s I have seen in the flesh (or should that be in the wood?) have the dot and all pictures on UK dealers' websites do too but when i checked Musician's Friend there was no dot - but Sweetwater does!

I think it's a wrong stock picture on the MF website - if they're all made in the East surely they're all the same? Checked a few European websites like thomann.de and the dot isn't there! Looks like the same stock photo

Oh wow...that's so freaking super weird...even the video footage of the VS doesn't have the 3rd fret dot. Good find...maybe I will buy it after all! I'd have to play it in person, though...ain't gonna chance acoustics to mail order.

Oh wow...that's so freaking super weird...even the video footage of the VS doesn't have the 3rd fret dot. Good find...maybe I will buy it after all! I'd have to play it in person, though...ain't gonna chance acoustics to mail order.

If you do end up having to go online, I highly recommend sweetwater.

If you do end up having to go online, I highly recommend sweetwater.

I won't have to go online for an AJ-220S. I have quite a few Guitar Center outlets in my area, so I would just try out several guitars and choose the one that feels and sounds the best to me.

that's strange - any AJ220s I have seen in the flesh (or should that be in the wood?) have the dot and all pictures on UK dealers' websites do too but when i checked Musician's Friend there was no dot - but Sweetwater does!

I think it's a wrong stock picture on the MF website - if they're all made in the East surely they're all the same? Checked a few European websites like thomann.de and the dot isn't there! Looks like the same stock photo

I think you're right about Musician's Friend's stock pictures not being up to date. I remember one not too long ago that had a Gibson truss rod cover in the pic and Epi hasn't used those in a long time.

I have a theory about the missing dot at the third fret. the markers main purpose is to easily find your way around the neck without really having to think (or count). you really don't need it at the third fret do you?

that's just my opinion but if anyone can find out, I think it's interesting that it's not there...

AJ-500M and R both have the third fret dot, as well as the EF-500R. DR-500M doesn't, maybe it's because on the DR the markers are nice little diamond looking shapes and it was a big enough cost saver to eliminate them from the whole production lot?

de1f02.jpg

It's kind of a diamond with little slashes through it -

16gdfus.jpg

I won't have to go online for an AJ-220S. I have quite a few Guitar Center outlets in my area, so I would just try out several guitars and choose the one that feels and sounds the best to me.

DUDE! Don't get the AJ-220S if you can get your hands on the new Masterbilt AJ-45! And according to musicians friend the AJ-500M is coming back next week too ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-masterbilt-aj-500m-advanced-jumbo-acoustic-guitar )

Seriously, just save up a bit longer and get the Masterbilt. Even a used AJ-500M in the $400 range would be sssoooo much better! I PROMISE you will be happy that you did!

Here's one off eBay for under $400 including shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Masterbuilt-AJ-500MNS-Acoustic-Guitar-/221499207363?pt=Guitar&hash=item339261aec3

I'm not going to buy another guitar for a few more months. We'll see where things are at that time. I REALLY like the lack of fretboard binding on the AJ-45ME, but I like the regular Epiphone headstock shape better. Perhaps I'll just get another Texan in the burst. Then again, perhaps I'll get a Hummingbird Pro so that I'll have a square shoulder dread. I'm a bit all over the place right now.

Hey you've got both the 220S and the 500M, how do you think they compare?

The 500M is definitely a nicer instrument, and I would expect it to be since it cost over twice as much. If you were to look at and play both instruments side by side, I pretty sure you'd be able to identify which guitar was the more expensive instrument.

I not very good at describing guitar sounds, I'd say the 500M has a more complex sound. However that's not to say that the 220S isn't a very nice playing and nice sounding guitar. I really like them both.

p.s. THe 500M does have a third fret dot.

Archived