Gibson Brands Forums

Practice with an amp!

onewilyfool

I've got this little Ibanez Troubadour T-20 (practice) amp……which is easy to transport, and has some nice little effect, but the main reason I practice with it is because I can hear every missed strum or pluck, and to sound good, I can't be sloppy or unfocussed. Great way to practice hitting clean notes and to listen when one is "off" tempo…..never as clear as when one is amped….was having fun working on clarity today!!

Also one of the reasons I got my little 4 channel mixer...sort of like 'live practice'....

It can be a real shock to go from back room to stage, and anything we can to to improve helps.

BluesKing777.

BK…I remember my first open mic…I had never played standing up, I had never played amped or mic'd before…..lol……trial by fire!!!

BK…I remember my first open mic…I had never played standing up, I had never played amped or mic'd before…..lol……trial by fire!!!

Ha ha...

So it went well then?

Though open mic nights make better memories than a life less musical like working in an office or factory, it can be your first mid life crisis!

BluesKing777.

Plug into Garageband and practice with headphones, that'll kill you. :) The downside, though, is that you can play much lighter, so while practicing amplified will help you play clean, it will give you a false sense of dynamics.

Practice with a metronome, too. Turn that on in Garageband, slap on the phones and face the heavy scrutiny!

P

Yes... I have really gotten into amplifying myself. PLAY IT LOUD....PLAY IT PROUD [thumbup][biggrin]

Many Friday / Sat nights I turn up the volume, play guitar through an amp and sing with mic and PA. Not only can you really hear yourself, but it also gets you over that old shyness that causes so many players to play softly and tentatively. Especially with singing since most of what you hear of yourself singing is the reverberations going through your head. Especially me since my head is mostly hollow [flapper]

Of course, there is also singing and playing guitar in a very reflective room like a bathroom along with singing outside where you can't hear your own voice at all. Gotta mix it up!

Yes... I have really gotten into amplifying myself. PLAY IT LOUD....PLAY IT PROUD [thumbup][biggrin]

Ha, I really like that, NH!

OWF's original question was about 'practicing with an amp', so I guess he is practicing for something?

I enjoy playing through my little mixer with the mics and headphones - it is closer to a 'live' situation, but no...NERVES!

Can't practice that!

But we can get our riffs/songs/lyrics/guitars/tunings/mics/mixer/leads/tuners/slides/strings/picks/gadgets and spares up to scratch and the rest is...///....

BluesKing777.

Ha, I really like that, NH!

OWF's original question was about 'practicing with an amp', so I guess he is practicing for something?

I enjoy playing through my little mixer with the mics and headphones - it is closer to a 'live' situation, but no...NERVES!

Can't practice that!

But we can get our riffs/songs/lyrics/guitars/tunings/mics/mixer/leads/tuners/slides/strings/picks/gadgets and spares up to scratch and the rest is...///....

BluesKing777.

Can we use the work "gig" now???

haha ! yah then a few days ago I picked up a guitar after a set up and the Luthier sat down and was watching me try out the newly set up guitar and I got so nervous I strummed a few chords and told him it sounded great. Dohhhhh!!! What is wrong with me??? [cursing][scared]

You can, but gigs make someone gag, Magog...

Another handy electro acoustic thing to practice a bit is to use some in-ear monitors - a lot of the live shows use them to save monitoring hassles. I have a nice pair of Shure IEMs for amateur home use, there are better ones but - the sound through the mixer to them is crystal clear and also a real shock!

So you turn up for the big support gig and the roadie says.......here...use these....they're clean.....Really, I rather have my own ear wax.....

BluesKing777.

Archived