Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter 12 string --->>>update: NGD

BigKahune

Duane's thread on the Gibson 12 selection got me thinking of Gibson 12 strings again. I've been looking for a big bodied Gibson twelve string for a few years (like a Humingbird or J-200), but they are rarely made and very hard to find. We they do show up for sale they sell quickly. Sometime ago I saw Fuller's had an Advanced Jumbo 12 string, but I was too late. So I've decided to seriously check out the smaller dred - Songwriter 12 (SW). It has the rosewood body I prefer (my other 12 strings aren't rosewood), and would save quite a bit of loot over a custom rosewood body order. I've thinking SW Deluxe 12 with ebony board & bridge, but I'm not sure what I'll end up with.

I know there are/were some SW Deluxe/Studio 12 owners on the forum - I was hoping someone might be able to sort out the model names and specs. As usual Gibson keeps it confusing enough that some sales listing are not correct.

The specs are a bit confusing on the recent incarnations. Of recent models, going back to like 2007, there's a SW Deluxe Modern Classic 12 (no headstock crown inlay) spec'ed with ebony board & bridge. There's SW Deluxe 12 (with headstock crown inlay) that is sometimes spec'd with ebony board & bridge, and sometimes with rosewood board & bridge. And then there's the recent SW Deluxe Studio 12 spec'ed with rosewood board & bridge. Despite the "Deluxe" moniker, none of these recent models seems to come with a bound fretboard. It also seems that the factory installed pickup has changed once or twice.

Any help appreciated.

^ I guess no one's got any idea what the heck is going on with the specs on this guitar. Oh well, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Welp, I settled on a used 2008 "Songwriter Deluxe 12-String" (the model name on the label doesn't include "Studio"). It's a 16 inch dreadnought and in excellent shape. It appears to be made very well. This version has an unbound ebony fretboard and ebony bridge - nice, and a top grade Sitka top. It's been quite a few years since I had a 12 with rosewood back and sides, and I really like it. It's got good base for a 12, and the overtones just add to the lush sound and tone. It's got surprisingly strong projection and volume. Very satisfied with this purchase - snagged it for $1600. . B)

SW12front_zpsb89f17f7.jpg

SW12top_zpsbb4a96bb.jpg

SW12back_zps76475e25.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

And for the tips Wily. I've been owning/playing 12 string guitars since the early 70s.. B) . This was an internet purchase, but the seller had good pics, of course one never knows. Also, there were none of these in my area to check out, so it was gamble. I got lucky - this one is well made with virtually no wear, tasty sound/tone and great projection.

Neck reset - No worries at this point. The action at 12 is under the Gibson spec (7/64 base, 5/64 treble) and the saddle has room.

Action_zpsde55b3f2.jpg

Fret wear - The frets look brand new. The original owner said he didn't play it much and the frets bear that out - they look brand new to me.

Frets_zps30dea032.jpg

Congrats, BigK, looks like a very nice catch. [thumbup] Love the natural finish, and the attractive back, too. [love][blush][rolleyes]

I think that in particular on a 12-string guitar every little piece of usable fingerboard width is fine, so I wouldn't mind her missing fret nubs. B)

Archived