Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby Install

lazarusvt84

I wanted at least one guitar with a trem so I chose my LP Studio 60's Trib to install a lefty B7. I also ordered a Vitamate V7 to avoid any hole drilling (a bareback mount leaves stop-bar screw holes showing a bit)...but had to slightly bore out the hole in the B7 to line up with the V7. The folks at Vitamate told me I'd have to make a small mod in order to fit a Lefty 7 on the V7 (they only make one model version for either dexterity...only lefties have to make a small mod). Here she is.

48ZhW0S.jpg

It took a while for the new strings and the trem to settle down tuning wise...but with a little nut sauce and some patience, it seems to hold tune well and there is no loss of tone or sustain. In fact, I think sustain is improved. Dunlops fit better through the tailpiece strap button hole vs Schallers.

It took a while for the new strings and the trem to settle down tuning wise...but with a little nut sauce and some patience, it seems to hold tune well and there is no loss of tone or sustain. In fact, I think sustain is improved.

The vibrato spring may take some days for its initial fatigue and be stable forever after that.

An improvement of sustain seems not that unlikely. My Maestro SGs surpass their fellow hardtails with that.

i LIKE that ! glad you got it worked out.....

also...IF you ever want a bit higher handle (once the spring breaks in) just slip an appropriate sized coin under the spring.

Not being a trem officionado...the trem height feels right...but one fella whined that it was a whole 2 inches off the guitar and returned it. Thanks for the tip.

I've been mulling the vibramte / bigsby upgrade myself....

I like the fact that it's reversable!!

this is putting me one step closer...

I was/am concerned about marks on a nitro finish over time...which is why I first considered going bare back...until I noticed the exposed holes (stop-bar screw holes). If the V7 pads do leave marks later on....you can always perm mount it and address the holes.

Archived