Gibson Brands Forums

guitar polish

g6120

I have seen responses to a similar thread as yours indicating that, from experience, they are all about the same. I have always stayed with names I figure I could trust...Gibson, Martin, Fender.

I have been using Dunlop 65 for a while now, though. It's about 10-bucks for a bottle that is just a tad over the legal airline limit for liquids (got one confiscated by TSA about a month ago).

Anyway, works great ! Good luck.

Common people, time for a reality check. Polishing fine figured woods finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, is something that has been does for about 100 years. There is nothing different in those 2 ounce bottles you but at the guitar shop than what you would buy at the grocery store for about 1/4 of the price. Gibson didn't invert the fininshing process, nor did they invent the finish. Any good furiture polish will do. I've been using nothing but Lemon Pledge on my guitars for 35 years, and I challenge anyone to come up with something better at a reasonable price.

As a matter of fact, it's the only thing I use on the leather interior and dash board of my car also.

Common people' date=' time for a reality check. Polishing fine figured woods finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, is something that has been does for about 100 years. There is nothing different in those 2 ounce bottles you but at the guitar shop than what you would buy at the grocery store for about 1/4 of the price. Gibson didn't invert the fininshing process, nor did they invent the finish. Any good furiture polish will do. I've been using nothing but Lemon Pledge on my guitars for 35 years, and I challenge anyone to come up with something better at a reasonable price. [/quote']

Many of the store brand furniture polishes contain silicone and you don't want to use that on your guitar. You also don't want to use any store brand polishes that may contain citric acid (real lemon oil). The acids in lemon oil break down the finish of nitro finished guitars. It may also aid in the corrosion of the frets and reduce string life. If you have a guitar with a polyester or urethane finish, this may not be the case. But I sure wouldn't use it on nitro finished guitars, such as Gibsons.

Also, this is a direct quote from Gibson's website:

Do not use furniture polish or automotive polish or any abrasive polish. It may remove or destroy the finish.

I like the Preservation Polish from Stew-Mac...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Cleaners' date='_polishes,_lubricants/Preservation_Polish.html

Never tried the Gibson... wondering how that "little bit" of nitrocellulose works...

The trace amounts of nitro seems to fill in and hide very small surface scratches.

well took a ride out to the local music store and bought the gibson polish and there were a few other brands which between me you and a lampost ive not ever heard of .

im remember buying martins polish back in the 80s and was not at all pleased as it left a film that was tough to get off so that took a dive right into the basket real quick .

ive gone the furnature polish route back in the 70s as well and that leaves traces that are tough to remove -

im sure theres some good polish of other brands that are worthy but ive been pleased with gibson so i dont see getting off that track .

g6120

Common people' date=' time for a reality check. Polishing fine figured woods finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, is something that has been does for about 100 years. There is nothing different in those 2 ounce bottles you but at the guitar shop than what you would buy at the grocery store for about 1/4 of the price. Gibson didn't invert the fininshing process, nor did they invent the finish. Any good furiture polish will do. I've been using nothing but Lemon Pledge on my guitars for 35 years, and I challenge anyone to come up with something better at a reasonable price. [/quote']

Haven't noticed alot of furniture out there lately with a nitrocellulose laquer finish...

Guest NattyBumppo

I only use a "polish" (currently using Dunlop 65) a few times a year. The majority of the time I just give them a wipe down with a soft, mivro-fiber cloth spritzed with distilled water. At the rate I use polish that little bottle of Dunlop will last me 10 years.

I have been using GHS Guitar Gloss for ten years with excellent results on both vintage and new instruments - especially new. I have tried most others recommended here like the Dunlop, but prefer the cream polishes as they are easy to control and work with and I like the wax on wax off method.

The only attribute of GHS I don't care for is the way the polish buffs off like toilet paper lint and goes everywhere. I am a lazy person who likes to clean the bout when I put the guitar back in the case to remove my forearm debris and this polish leaves balled residue on the lining. Otherwise it works perfectly, is affordable and removes dirt while it polishes.

I am a lazy person who likes to clean the bout when I put the guitar back in the case to remove my forearm debris and this polish leaves balled residue on the lining.

My arm also leaves a residue on the face of the guitar and I've never found a good way to get it off. Does the Gibson polish cut that gunk too?

Personally, Ive found that cloths that you clean glasses (spectacles) with work really well with the gunk that gets left from where your arm rests. Failing that the cloth that came with my imac for wiping the screen works really well too LOL. And when it gets polished I use the Gibson polish (white and orange bottle) which smells amazing too LOL.

• 1 year later...

I like the Gibson spray polish in the orange bottle. It has bits of nitro lacquer in it help fill any imperfections. All the Gibson polishes and maintenance products will be safe for the nitrocellulose lacquer finish of your Les Paul.

Others can point of other polishes.

Someone mentioned that using lemon oil on the fretboard might tarnish the frets...is there something else that can be used to oil the fretboard. I've been using lemon oil for years...but I know that Martin Guitar Co. does not recommend the use of lemon oil.

There is a lady in a SD folk group with a Yahama -- very clouded milky finish = furniture polish. Caution: used real guitar polish and follow manufacturers recommendations. Imagine the COST of stripping a guitar and then re-spraying the finish (about 8 to 10 coats of laquer and lots and lots of buffing). The cost would be prohibitive. Best to spend a little more ($2?) for the right polish. Best also to use less polish and more soft cloth. I have a cloth made by "Planet Waves" I got it at Blue Guitar (San Diego). it has polish in it and I use it on all the guitars. (oh yes I have used the Gibson spray bottle and the Luthier's Choice and Virtuoso) -- all great.

No polish at all for me. Microfiber cloth is all I need; I got one from Googalies that works really well but I'm not sure it's different from any other. A puff of moisture from my breath when the dirt is really tough. I've tried a bunch of different guitar polishes and I haven't really been wild about any of them. On the other hand, Maguire's #9 car polish did a great job of buffing out scratches on my Les Paul.

Suprised nobody mentioned Virtuoso cleaner and polish. Made for nitro. Considerd to be top tier. I used it on a 50s gibby that had never been cleaned and it removed 5 cloth fulls of brownish crud and then polished it to a full gloss..

Actually the polish never touches the wood - just the finish, so you're talking about 'chemistry'. Martin polish is made by Guardsman which is recommended by fine furniture mfctrs. I think you're safest using a polish made specifically for guitars. ACE is also right - a small amt of moisture and a microfibre cloth take care of day to day..I've used Meguirs to take off the blotch where I got lemon oil from the fretboard on the neck. G'luck!

Archived