Gibson Brands Forums

New Recording #777

BluesKing777

Nothing short of awesome! That little box is responding to the attention you've given her recently.

OK, some serious questions:

1) how did you get interested in hard-core blues, seeing as how you're a boy from Melbourne, as I recall?

2) are you basically picking these up from recordings, or from some other source?

3) picks (if any)?

4) strings?

Sorry to distract from the performance, but you've got this stuff down so well that I have to ask.

Nothing short of awesome! That little box is responding to the attention you've given her recently.

1) how did you get interested in hard-core blues, seeing as how you're a boy from Melbourne, as I recall?

2) are you basically picking these up from recordings, or from some other source?

3) picks (if any)?

4) strings?

Sorry to distract from the performance, but you've got this stuff down so well that I have to ask.

Thanks Nick!

Some tech difficulties...

I will have to get back to you about those questions - the track is not working on my iPad for some reason, but ok on my pc. Probably haven't paid my Soundcloud subscription or something...

BluesKing777.

3) picks (if any)?

4) strings?

I can't get it to work on my Ipad still! I am up to date with the latest software, Soundcloud isnt!

So answers slightly backwards:

4) strings?

I gave the luthier a set of my Gibson MB12s, but they feel like Martin SP to me, so he may have lost the Gibs....I have worn the tone off them already.

3) picks (if any)?

No picks - bare thumb and index finger only, except on double stops that aren't brushed which get the index and middle....

I went to lessons in the city (not from Melbourne)when I about 12 and the tunes we were learning were pretty naff until he played us "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" and from then on anything 12 bar was in sights. I got in the local stadium concerts for free by a friend who was the usher for a short but fruitful time, and saw all kinds of weird and wacky shows from the back area (hiding until later)... Little Richard, Chuck Berry (got a guitar pick that flew to me!), Yes with Steve Howe doing a sensational solo spot on classical, and the big, big, big hitter Freddie King which I tried to play for another 20 years!, and then Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, still trying that one too! My friend then (quite unreasonably I thought) took another job and that was the end of the free concerts, but I went to every single blues gig that came past for many years..... Blues Lover from the go!

The tune above is very loosely based on the recording, but mainly has ingredients from lots of sources that were the roots of country blues....

BluesKing777.

I'm right beside nick here.

and I've said it before myself also. your versions of these songs are pretty much as good as it can get in my opinion.

no vocal histrionics , no musical masturbation , which always ruins performances of this genre.

just superb.

I'd buy your albums , as long as you didn't feck around with your formula :)

can white men sing the blues ?

absolutely

The SoundCloud track doesn't seem to be working at all now..... I guess they have had a meltdown.

Oh, technology!

When clicking on the link, it comes up with :

'Oh No!

Sorry! We can't find that track.

Did you try to access a private track, but were not logged in?

Maybe the track has been removed.

I don't have an album, but if Soundcloud ever decides to work again, you can listen to all the tracks I have there for FREE! Can't get any better price than that.

BluesKing777.

Archived