Gibson Brands Forums

What epiphone les Paul is good for a frist guitar

tazz3

Hi tazz, the most important thing about getting a first guitar is that it is playable. The height of the strings above the fretboard is crucial to whether or not you feel comfortable holding the strings down when you play. If the strings are too high it can put you off playing completely.

So yes, any Epiphone should be OK as a first guitar, but whatever you buy take it to a guitar repairer or a friend who knows how to sort it out. It's called a 'set-up', and a basic set-up shouldn't cost too much. If you buy from a store they may do a very basic setting of the bridge height, but a decent set-up will cost a little more. But it is worth every cent to have your guitar playing properly.

It is something you can learn to do yourself and there is lots of info here and other places online.

Tazz,

The BEST "first" guitar is the one that makes you drool, that you cant put down, and makes your girlfriend jealous.

Seriously, a lesson I learned the expensive way was that as a new player looking for a first guitar, you're not going to notice or feel the differences between most models, except for the obvious things like size or weight.

Get the one that calls to you, infects your dreams, and then like Vomer said, have it "set-up" and get your game on!

Good luck!

Hello all I was looking at the les Paul special II for 169 dollars is this a good guitar and does it have the 1.68 nut width or should I get a better les Paul like the 100 thanks

Hello Tazz, and welcome here.

Both your suggestions are fine and allow for full adjustment, important for nice playability, clean intonation and decent sound. These are the very things when about playing fun I think.

You could also save on a Studio. The set neck makes them the cheapest way of buying "the real thing" to me. The real Les Paul thing, that is. [biggrin]

Good luck for trying out and deciding, mate! [thumbup]

KVL nailed it. And as Jeffery said, don't forget the amp. It doesn't have to be expensive, but don't get a 'cheap' cheap one. Amps are awesome now compared with the cheap solid state stuff I had as a kid, and modern modelling amps like Fender Mustangs etc can sound pretty good.

If I had a choice between an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and an Epiphone Les Paul 100 electric guitar, I'd get the Les Paul 100, or a Epiphone Les Paul 1 (I have 2 of those...lol, 129 bucks, great guitars, really), so that's it from me. I've never owned an Epiphone LP 100. With a bolt on neck, I guess it would sound OK. Actually, I have played several Epiphone LP 100's in the various guitar stores I go to around here, again, great guitar, but, I like the LP Special 1's better, they are less expensive than a 100, sound and play just as good (hey, they sound and play as good as my Gibson's, after a proper set up, really :) . They might not be (well, "might not" may be an understatement...lol) as fancy as a more expensive Epiphone or Gibson, but after an application of fret board oil, and a good set up, the Special 1 Epiphone electrics I have are fast, slick and sound sweet. I really can't say enough good things about them (the Special 1), but hey, that's just memsp_biggrin.gif

so, what do...you....think ?

Here's a demo (not me) of the Epiphone Les Paul Special 1. I think this would be a great starter guitar, or a "go to" guitar for anyone. With a new nut made out that tusk stuff, or something similar and polish up the neck with some fretboard conditioner, and new strings and maybe better tuners at some point, and you'll be all set. You could modify it by adding a cheap Bigsby if you wanted, better pickups, but, as is, man...for what these things cost, I think It's a great instrument, a "rock machine"...dig it

Thanks for al the great advice,yeah I been looking at the fender mustang amp.if u have a decent amp then the guitar will sound better then a cheap amp.

Yeah my friend can do a set up truss rod and stuff like that.

After pondering it a while, I'd get this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENTPBCNH

A beauty at a reasonable price.

^Very nice^^, but I don't think I'd recommend that as a "first" guitar (or a frist one either...lol)

I own one of these in Faded Cherry and can definitely recommend it as first, last and whatever in between guitar which it was for me. [biggrin] Simply great, and as advertised by Epiphone, most Les Paul for the money. [thumbup]

Hello all I was looking at the les Paul special II for 169 dollars is this a good guitar and does it have the 1.68 nut width or should I get a better les Paul like the 100 thanks

If i were you i would buy the Les Paul standard . It is a great all around guitar it would be a guitar you can be proud of and resale is better on one then the others. Maybe a little more money in the beginning but a lot nicer guitar in the end .

1.68 nut width

Les Paul Special I

300px-Lpspecial-I.jpg
magnify-clip.pngEpiphone Les Paul Special I

• Epiphone 700T & 650R humbuckers
  • Basswood body
  • Nickel hardware
  • Bolt-on mahogany neck with "D" profile
  • Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
  • Stamped, 14:1 diecast tuners
  • Black speed knobs
  • 1 Vol. 1 Tone controls
  • 3-way selector switch
  • 24.75" scale
  • 1.68" nut width

Although most forumites will already know, I repeat here that the lack of individually adjustable saddles makes intonation a trial-and-error game of changing strings and looking for a tolerable compromise.

When adding the buy of a wraparound replacement to the price of the guitar, settling with one featuring TOM and stopbar might be the cheaper solution.

Ask the music store if they'll take it back, after you learn a bit on it. Then, if you stick with it (I certainly hope you do), get a Gibsonmsp_cool.gif

Don't beat on it too much, unless you intend to make it your own "relic" msp_cool.gif

Archived