Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pickguard Replacement

ServantOfGod

Thanks, i will do that, it should be that the string is not properly attached into the bridge pin, some of them look just right in place and not to high. By the way:Stewart MacDonald have a video on his website about how to modify the pins (I don't even have the tools to do that).

Depending on the material of the pin, I modify them with small pieces of sandpaper, small files, or emery boards (used for filing fingernails). You don't need anything fancy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just came back from Fuller's. They have a nice collection!!

6505FF51-3865-47EF-839B-1C700E719C78_zpsgcyrhwrk.jpg

They do have the pickguard . When I saw it I was amazed . It looks nice, but is a different material. This is a rubber material, and not the tortoise . It is $ 150. I was about to buy it when I thought it could be devalued by this change. Another thing that put me off was that they said they would charge me $ 150 to install it because it is hard work. Any ideas ?

WOW!! ...$300 total for a fake rubber Gibson Hummingbird pick guard from Fullers? I must be missing something here. Still I an not surprised. Gibson has made their HB original pick guards OFF LIMITS...Unfortunately it is a good reason NOT to buy a Hummingbird, particularly a used one and not under warranty, which you will still pay thousands for....because Gibson will never allow you to replace it..even at $500 and up. Very poor Gibson policy indeed. I am sure Gibson has tied Fuller's hands on this issue. I can see it if your ordering 500 Gibson Hummingbird Pick Guards ..but ONE for your own guitar! Disgraceful policy. Particularly when Gibson KNOWS many of these pick guards lose their pattern and NEED replacement. Very disappointing.

WOW!! ...$300 total for a fake rubber Gibson Hummingbird pick guard from Fullers? I must be missing something here. Still I an not surprised. Gibson has made their HB original pick guards OFF LIMITS...Unfortunately it is a good reason NOT to buy a Hummingbird, particularly a used one and not under warranty, which you will still pay thousands for....because Gibson will never allow you to replace it..even at $500 and up. Very poor Gibson policy indeed. I am sure Gibson has tied Fuller's hands on this issue. I can see it if your ordering 500 Gibson Hummingbird Pick Guards ..but ONE for your own guitar. Disgraceful policy.

I don't know if call it fake. It is original and it is the actual guard that they are using on the current birds. They showed to me. And it looks very different on mine, but it is what they are using now, they said taht it is better and doesn't peel off.

I don't know if call it fake. It is original and it is the actual guard that they are using on the current birds. They showed to me. And it looks very different on mine, but it is what they are using now, they said taht it is better and doesn't peel off.

I own a new 2013 Gibson Hummingbird standard...the pick guard is by no means rubber..but thick hard molded high quality plastic and quite three dimensional and beautiful I would say. My hummingbird is in my icon showing the pick guard...does it look like this..if it does GET IT!

I own a new 2013 Gibson Hummingbird standard...the pick guard is by no means rubber..but thick hard molded high quality plastic and quite three dimensional and beautiful I would say. My hummingbird is in my icon showing the pick guard...does it look like this..if it does GET IT!

Yes, you are right, it is hard molded high quality plastic but is not tortoise, that's my point. It looks nice :) better than my faded guard.

Yes, you are right, it is hard molded high quality plastic but is not tortoise, that's my point. It looks nice :) better than my faded guard.

Oh I see, perhaps they will sell it to you for the $150 and you could put it on yourself....the thing is, there must be something not right or not original about it...Hummingbird standard pick guards are in fact a rich tortoise color, mine is anyway...so it does not appear to be an authentic Gibson pick guard or it would be the Gibson color would it not?..just wondering. I can understand you need one...a Hummingbird without the pick guard..or a severely marred and worn out pick guard really looks bad on a guitar like this. I would LOVE to see a picture of the fuller hummingbird pick guard they are referring you to. Do you know if pictures are available for it? thx

Oh I see, perhaps they will sell it to you for the $150 and you could put it on yourself....the thing is, there must be something not right or not original about it...Hummingbird standard pick guards are in fact a rich tortoise color, mine is anyway...so it does not appear to be an authentic Gibson pick guard or it would be the Gibson color would it not?..just wondering. I can understand you need one...a Hummingbird without the pick guard..or a severely marred and worn out pick guard really looks bad on a guitar like this. I would LOVE to see a picture of the fuller hummingbird pick guard they are referring you to. Do you know if pictures are available for it? thx

No It didn't took fake at all. It just don't look like the one on my 2006 bird. It looks different, and it is exactly like the one on the new birds.

Buy the pick guard from Fullers and install it yourself. Just take your time when removing the old and installing the new.

I wouldn't do that by my self. I just spoke with someone at Rockin Robin and he said that he will charge no more than $50 to remove the old one and install the new one. This will be done next week! I am excited.

Just to clear up some confusion here . The ones Fuller's sell are neither rubber or tortoise. They are the red see through type that comes on the True Vintage model. I prefer that look. I replaced the tortoise pickguard on my '94 with one purchased from Fuller's. Embarrased to say, but I don't have a good picture of her now. This is the best I could find. This is my 1994 Hummingbird with the True Vintage pickguard.

imagejpg1_zps5321b85e.jpg

Just to clear up some confusion here . The ones Fuller's sell are neither rubber or tortoise. They are the red see through type that comes on the True Vintage model. I prefer that look. I replaced the tortoise pickguard on my '94 with one purchased from Fuller's. Embarrased to say, but I don't have a good picture of her now. This is the best I could find. This is my 1994 Hummingbird with the True Vintage pickguard.

imagejpg1_zps5321b85e.jpg

Thank you for your response, we love to see more pictures. You just convinced me to buy it. Although I'm not sure that is the one used in the true vintage I am sure that is what comes in the modern standard model. They showed me and looks exactly the same. They said that is what Gibson is using to keep the design free of wear. Which is under the pickguard. So you can play it and play it and nothing will happen to the beautiful design.

I can't say if it is an actual Gibson True Vintage pickguard or a run that Fullers had made by someone. I have had it side by side with my buddie's True Vintage and we could not tell the difference. I fell in love with that clear pickguard when the True Vintage Hummingbird came out. I just happened to mention it while in Fuller's one day and Jeremy went in the back and came out with that, I had to have it.

As far as size, it was a direct match to the one that came of my 'Bird.

One other thing. I would have it put on by someone who knows what they are doing. These see through guards will show any bubbles that form under the guard when being installed. I would mention that to whoever you have install it, so they take extra precautions.

I have seen this being discussed on here as an issue, even on new True Vintage models from Gibson.

One other thing. I would have it put on by someone who knows what they are doing. These see through guards will show any bubbles that form under the guard when being installed. I would mention that to whoever you have install it, so they take extra precautions.

I have seen this being discussed on here as an issue, even on new True Vintage models from Gibson.

It's good to know that. Who installed yours?

About a year after I got my Hummingbird the paint started to wear off the pickguard. I wrote Gibson and they sent me out a brand new one. That was around 2003.

That's absolutely right, I call them and they said that they could do that if i were the original owner. But I am not, so I they told me that I should order it from Fullers. I was lucky that they had one in stock.

Archived