Gibson Brands Forums

Cool tip II

AXE®

When recording I like to put down a basic guitar track first with a click track for timing.

After establishing the baseline you can add backing or rhythm guitar(s)

The first basic track is played in more of a percussionary mode and can be pushed to the back of the mix if desired.

Then adding the bass drums and vocal tracks...

This is how I do it, your results may vary.

Ideally, I like to record the entire band at once for rhythm tracks as I feel you get more energy that way. But, if you're using a drum machine, then I can see doing it your way as long as you can get the drums right after recording the guitar; personally, I like to get the drums down first.

When recording I like to put down a basic guitar track first with a click track for timing.

After establishing the baseline you can add backing or rhythm guitar(s)

The first basic track is played in more of a percussionary mode and can be pushed to the back of the mix if desired.

Then adding the bass drums and vocal tracks...

This is how I do it' date=' your results may vary. [/quote']

This is pretty much how I do it too. I don't have time to be in a band right now, so I write and record my own stuff. The only difference is since I'm using either a drum machine or drum loops - I will sometimes start with the drum track which of course, I can always change it later.

Good tip.

• 1 year later...

Bump the wisdom.

What I am curious about now is what is the technology available now for home digital real time multiple input recording.

Last time I was in an actual studio we were using a 16 track 1 inch tape ampeg machine.

I have some basic software that I like from Cakewalk that is simple and suits me alone.

But if I wanted to record a band playing live in a home studio so to speak that would require what.....thousands of dollars of equipment ?

To correctly mike a drum set is like what 4, 5 channels......

Bump the wisdom.

What I am curious about now is what is the technology available now for home digital real time multiple input recording.

Last time I was in an actual studio we were using a 16 track 1 inch tape ampeg machine.

I have some basic software that I like from Cakewalk that is simple and suits me alone.

But if I wanted to record a band playing live in a home studio so to speak that would require what.....thousands of dollars of equipment ?

To correctly mike a drum set is like what 4' date=' 5 channels...... [/quote']

For about $1000- $1300 you can get 8-12 tracks of simultaneous recording, assuming all you need is the recorder/mixer.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-AW1600-Audio-Workstation?sku=245013

12 tracks here: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-D3200-32Track-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=242061

Archived