Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar

Tanner1994

The Ibanez SA is a great guitar, but the GSA is basically crap. Ibanez' quality has gone down hill a lot lately and the Gio's are probably even worse. For less than the MIM Strat, you can get this instead. Better quality, mahogany as opposed to agathis, better trem and a True Duo pickup in the bridge that has a coil split. I had a black one a while back, I'd still have it if I didn't get my first Highway One Strat. But, it's your call on what you get, but I'd seriously recommend avoiding a GSA.

So, Tanner, what do you intend to play? I'm not particularly into that LP-Rock, Strat-Blues, Tele-country kind of mentality, but, well, it might help.

The Ibanez SA is a great guitar' date=' but the GSA is basically crap. Ibanez' quality has gone down hill a lot lately and the Gio's are probably even worse. For less than the MIM Strat, you can get this instead. Better quality, mahogany as opposed to agathis, better trem and a True Duo pickup in the bridge that has a coil split. I had a black one a while back, I'd still have it if I didn't get my first Highway One Strat. But, it's your call on what you get, but I'd seriously recommend avoiding a GSA.

+100000000

You can't even compare one with another The SA260M is waaaaay better. Also, the blue one looks so sweet with the maple neck =)

well i am 14 so my only money making is allowance so i am looking for a guitar in the $200-$250 zone. even though is said i was looking at a MIM my dad really loves strats and he said he would help me pay for the strat but if i chose the ibanez he wouldnt help me out. but i chose the ibanez.

According to my reading; not from playing experience.

Ibanez is one of those guitar companies that has gone through many hands. Starting in Japan under a different name in the early 20th century (between 20s' and 30s') I think. Eventually it was led by a U.S. division out of Pennsylvania. Quality is considered (according to my readings) to be moderate to good.

I guess this isn't much of a review, but it's all I could remember and I left the reading material at work.

Tanner1994:

My son and I went through this same exercise when he wanted a guitar. I'll tell you the outcome and how we got there.

At the time, I knew nothing about music or guitars. I had never even touched an electric guitar. He, on the other hand, had studied music for ten years and, at the age of 15, was pretty handy with a piano and a saxophone. When he took an interest in guitar he wanted something he could buy from his earnings working chores at home. He was looking at the Fender Squier kit that comes with an amp and other accessories.

Since I knew nothing about guitars, and because it was a lot of money, I started to ask questions. To shorten the story a bit, I did some research of my own and suggested that he consider a better grade of instrument because the Squiers are at the bottom of a product line, and get mixed reviews. The pattern we discovered was that people will buy them, and then soon either give up, or buy something better.

The Fender Mexican Stratocaster, on the other hand, seemed very highly regarded, and a true bargain. There were various warnings that you should play the instrument before buying it to ensure you get a good one, and that the pickups are not as good as the American Standard versions of the Strat. My son also inquired about a good amp, and some friends of his recommended a Fender G-DEC Junior.

Taking his classic rock musical interest into account, we selected the Mexican fat Strat, which has two single coil pickups and a humbucker. This turned out to be an excellent choice for him.

I more than helped him buy the guitar and amp. I bought it outright for him because he had demonstrated a keen interest in music and did not own an instrument personally. (The keyboard is shared with his sister, and the sax belongs to school.) He got the blue Fat Strat and G-DEC Junior. Later I bought him a Roadrunner hard case and a professional setup for the guitar.

I liked the instrument so much that I soon bought an American Strat for myself.

For the music I am interested in, the American guitar sounds better, but there is precious little difference. The Mexican guitar is very good and I believe it is an excellent value. My son cherishes it, and he now plays it in the church band.

The point I would like you to consider is that you should avoid the low end of any product line. Generally, they are flawed. The rule of thumb is "buy cheap, buy twice". In other words, you pay the first time to get the cheap thing, and then pay again to get what you should have bought in the first place.

We eventually sold that amp and replaced it with a Roland Cube 30x. The reason for our dissatisfaction with the G-DEC Jr is that the sound quality was poor. The Cube is much, much better. We did not realize at first how important a good amp is to electric guitar sound. It is very important, and should be considered part of the instrument.

I believe it will cost you about $600 to get good equipment, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Actually it stated in Spain and moved to Japan and the division in the US was first ran out of a little warehouse that became the US head quarters. I know this because when I purchased that 770dx it came with a really nice book; all you wanted to know about Ibanez and were afraid to ask................ lol The Japan guitars are really good guitars and I would put the 770 up against even higher end Gibsons (except for the pain jobs) as long as you could compare feature to feature if Gibson had a guitar like this and Kramer no longer counts. Hey remember when Kramer Americans were the stuff for guitars' date=' had one long time ago. It met a untimely death....... The Korean guitars from Ibanez are OK but the Indonesian guitars are not equal to the better MIM Strats. Not to late to get a few strat and take your cash and add different pickups etc... [/quote']

I stand corrected and yield to your superior intellect on Ibanez.

Archived