Gibson Brands Forums

A Harp-LESS Gibson???

onewilyfool

Ok- that's got to be the most bizarre thing on these pages for a while. One would like to be able to think they could imagine what most things would sound like. Then there's OWF's find.

Can't imagine, but this instrument has seen some changes.

Originally:

ScreenShot2014-11-14at82017PM_zpsa55af05e.png

Now this:

ScreenShot2014-11-14at82733PM_zps4dcd663f.png

Acturally 62burst has pictured it perfectly. A luthier removed the neck and harp arm, cut off the upper bout base side curl by continuing the top line from the treble side upper bout across to the bass side, then reinstalled the neck on center - a very nice job. I'd love to give it a strum - I expect it would sound good. I would like to see JT comment on this.

3480635993_be3e3d06eb.jpg. ScreenShot2014-11-14at82733PM_zps4dcd663f.png

.. luthier removed the neck and harp arm, cut off the upper bout base side curl by continuing the top line from the treble side upper bout across to the bass side, then reinstalled the neck on center -

Well, kind of on center. When giving a closer look at the topography of the arched top via these reflections, the bass side does not appear to contour back down to meet the side until further up, higher into the "harp" part. A real head scratcher; how to do this? Install a bit of wood in the side to make up for the difference where the arch does not yet resolve to meet the top, or do a complete re-top (def looks like an old re-fin)? The rosette looks orig, though ... or does it?

Reflection on a 100 year old L-4 (left), reflection on top contour of a black harp guitar, (right):

ScreenShot2014-11-15at84248AM_zps997d26af.pngScreenShot2014-11-15at84044AM_zps4be74aa1.png

I hadn't given a thought to the actual work envolved. Interesting. A re-top would be expensive, but re-positioning the neck (expensive on it's own) might have required it. The top doesn't look like it has a factory finish on it, so I'm thinking it was probably re-topped. Below is another view of the Craigslist modded harp-guitar - the neck looks original and the finish checking looks vintage. It's a nicely done mod - the owner spent some money. I wonder when the mod was done?

00c0c_kiy6x3X8MAx_600x450.jpg

It's nothing more than a wall-hanger at this point. I wouldn't give $100 for it.

Hey, I would give $125 for it. Even a Gibson Quasimodo needs a home and a shot at being made playable

Also might be the only way to figure just what horrible tragedy befell that guitar.

Archived