Gibson Brands Forums

A little advice

Wakefire

Hi I was wondering what guitar I should get as far as electrics go. I was looking mainly at SGs just because I like their style. My price range for the moment is anywhere from 200 to 350, maybe 400 dollars, so I was looking at Epiphone. I know that's a quite a low range but I'm pretty poor #-o

There were a few that I was looking at and those were the epiphone g-400 and the g-310.

Or do you think I should save my money for something a little higher quality? Keep in mind, though that I'm going to replace the tuning machines with high quality ones. Also I'm going to buy new pickups or wind my own. Plus I'm going to adjust the action and see what it is as far as intonation. I do want this puppy to last in case I have trouble making more money.

Well, if you guys have any experience with either of those or Know of one that's not too much more expensive give me some recommendations. Also, if you know of any other companies that make cheap yet high quality guitars that you or a friend have had good experience with just let me know.

Epiphone G-400 '66 Reissue. Great guitar with no mode needed

Is that the "vintage" G-400 that comes with faded finish and only in brown and dark red? If so, you can't beat that guitar for the price (and for 200 or 300 more).

I owned one when they came out, everything with that guitar is fine, you dont have to "upgrade" a thing, those pickups are really nice!

+10 for the Vintage G-400 from epi.

I think if you're going to drop in new pickups and tweak it anyway just go with the Epi G-400. The Gibson Faded Series are okay, but bang for the buck just feels a little better on the G-400 to me. They come with decent hardware and tuners nowadays, so it's a pretty solid machine. Plus, some smaller (NON-Guitar-Center) dealers would probably include a case for $400. That's what I'd do. And HAVE done...lol

H-bomb

for about 250 more than the g400 u could get one of the prophecy sg's i have the one with emg's and a midnight ebony finish. they come with grovers and they stay in tune for a bout two weeks at a time. and the emgs scream and my friend has the LP version with DF's and they sound almost exactly the same. the hardware seems it could last forever and all-in-all they are great guitars especially for the money

Dude, listen to H-Bomb. The Epiphone G-400 (1966 Limited edition) is more guitar for less money than the Gibson SG Specials/Faded.

Trust me, there's one in my avatar over here that plays nearly as well as those two Gibsons in the pic. I used to own an Angus Young Ed. SG, and this guitar plays exactly like it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I am gonna go with the g-400. The Prophecy series does look good, though and I found the one with the EMGs in a local guitar dealer for $550 in perfect condition. The only thing is, I don't know how much longer it's gonna be there.

I think if you're going to drop in new pickups and tweak it anyway just go with the Epi G-400. The Gibson Faded Series are okay' date=' but bang for the buck just feels a little better on the G-400 to me. They come with decent hardware and tuners nowadays, so it's a pretty solid machine. Plus, some smaller (NON-Guitar-Center) dealers would probably include a case for $400. That's what I'd do. And HAVE done...lol

H-bomb[/quote']

10-4 on that. Epis rock. They gotten real good as of late. Prolly gonna see em go south like when the good Fenders started comin outa Korea and Fender put the stops to that.

i have a vintage g-400 and love it.

its really good for the money and plays quite well.

its stays in tune very well and the hardware is okay.

they are much better than the g-310s which have sns (sticky neck syndrome) and a crappy bolt-on neck which loses all the good upper fret access sgs are meant to have.

they are much better than the g-310s which have sns (sticky neck syndrome) and a crappy bolt-on neck which loses all the good upper fret access sgs are meant to have.

Yeah, the inset neck joint is the only real turnoff to me about the 310. They COULD make 'em like the old Ibanez lawsuit ones (or my Aston...or the 90's bolt-neck double-cut LP Juniors) with the neck joint in the right place, and could even make the heel smaller so it wouldn't feel too much different than a late 60's style heel. The 310 sounds pretty good as-is though (I used one for slide for a while stock and it sounded just fine), but I can't lose my access all the way up, that does defeat the purpose in my book.

H-Bomb

sorry to change the thread' date=' i happened to notice your supreme is it? can we see a couple of pics? PWEASE!!!![/quote']

Well, If someone could tell me how to upload photos, I'd be glad to post some pics.

I'm going against the grain (when I get me money right), and changing to chrome hardware. I'm also adding the half-pickguard BWB.

Should look pretty slick. I'm puttin' gold hardware on the 'Paul, if I don't sell it first!

I have an Epiphone G-400 standard (a 62 Reissue) and it's a great guitar. Cost me $400 tax-in when I got it new. Several months after, I modified it to Gibson 61 Reissue specs - cost me about $476. (57 Classic pickups, Grover tuning heads, and professional installation.)

That would be my recommendation. Get the G-400 and upgrade it when you can afford it.

Archived