Gibson Brands Forums

please tell me I got a good deal....

tomscotland

welcome to the forum!

im not so good at currency conversion, but looks like a good deal

hes right when he says the sg has the fastest neck in the world, imo

the forum is great for asking any questions, stupid or not, very good people on this site who love to help you

They looked the same in '03 and '05. You just have to go by the serial number. Perhaps he bought it new in '05 and just assumed it was made that year.

The ebony is nice. I have an ebony 335 and wouldn't want any other color. But you just have to wipe it down with a guitar cloth every time you put it away. It keeps you honest about guitar care!

Do you like how it plays? It sounds as if he never had it set up professionally, and most need a little tweaking to make perfect.

They looked the same in '03 and '05. You just have to go by the serial number. Perhaps he bought it new in '05 and just assumed it was made that year.

The ebony is nice. I have an ebony 335 and wouldn't want any other color. But you just have to wipe it down with a guitar cloth every time you put it away. It keeps you honest about guitar care!

Do you like how it plays? It sounds as if he never had it set up professionally' date=' and most need a little tweaking to make perfect. [/quote']

Yeah, thats what I reckon. Its going to be treated to a set up asap, I'd like the action a touch lower and the intonation tweaked a bit. Plus I've just changed the strings on it, taking it down to a .009 high E instead of a .010

HNGD!

Thanks!

Any tips for getting a nice Angus tone on a solid state amp? Yes, I know - can be difficult, but, the closest approximation I can get is to lose the mids and about 8 on bass and treble, gain set at about 2/3.

I have a Fender deluxe 90.

I also have one of those 15 watt marshall mini-stacks and a nice new 5 watt peavey nano-valve.

Tips?

Up until a few weeks ago you could have got a brand new one for around £800 but the prices have gone up now to more like £950-£1000.

At £675, I'd say he probably got back what he paid for it, or maybe more, so I reckon the seller had the best end of the deal. However, if you look at it from your perspective, you've saved £300 against the price of a new one which is OK if it's in excellent condition.

I suppose that's the nature of Gibsons. When new prices go up so do second hand prices. So, on the positive side, you could probably sell it and get back what you paid.

I'm not sure the 9's will help you with the Angus tone. But you should get it the way you like it and feel free to experiment--that's what makes it fun. I'm sure Angus could pull it off with nines, and maybe does!

It sounds like he uses a strong attack and possibly the higher action and bigger strings to go with it--just a guess. To get those nice chords, I need a nut with low regulation and 10-48 strings and fairly low-profile frets. Just me, so I don't bend the strings out of tune.

The closest I can get is to turn the amp up pretty high into its sweet spot and use the SG's volume knob to dial it back to just at the break. The 335 with '57 Classic plus in the bridge does that tone also, BTW. I think a lot of that Angus break you won't get without a tube amp at least a little like the Marshall. So much of these signature tones are determined by how the guitar is played and also a pretty big amp allowed to express. You'll never nail the tone as long as you have to pinch your amp's volume for a small room. Lacking that, you'll need a distortion effect to emulate and clip like a tube amp. But you should get close enough if you keep trying.

Angus plays pretty clean and straight. No fx what so ever. And this is where the problem may be. You have to crank up your amp quite a bit to get such tone. And personally I think that the standard has the wrong pickups. But that´s another thing. You may come close as it is. Or even better, try to find a tone that you like - even if it´s not like Angus´s. Heavier strings, as Rigormortis suggested, are also a point. Angus himself once said he´s using 10 - 48, the heavier the better. But he can´t handle heavier gauges.

Enjoy your new guitar...

Kurt

I'm not sure the 9's will help you with the Angus tone. But you should get it the way you like it and feel free to experiment--that's what makes it fun. I'm sure Angus could pull it off with nines' date=' and maybe does!

It sounds like he uses a strong attack and possibly the higher action and bigger strings to go with it--just a guess. To get those nice chords, I need a nut with low regulation and 10-48 strings and fairly low-profile frets. Just me, so I don't bend the strings out of tune.

The closest I can get is to turn the amp up pretty high into its sweet spot and use the SG's volume knob to dial it back to just at the break. The 335 with '57 Classic plus in the bridge does that tone also, BTW. I think a lot of that Angus break you won't get without a tube amp at least a little like the Marshall. So much of these signature tones are determined by how the guitar is played and also a pretty big amp allowed to express. You'll never nail the tone as long as you have to pinch your amp's volume for a small room. Lacking that, you'll need a distortion effect to emulate and clip like a tube amp. But you should get close enough if you keep trying.

[/quote']

I've read in a couple of places that Angus used Ernie Ball 9 - 42s. I reckon this is because of his heavy vibrato style. As you say however, his pick attack is very heavy. Maybe Malcolm uses a thicker gauge for the heavy pwerful chords he uses on the rhythm guitar.

Hi Tom...welcome to the forum. Nice SG! If YOU love it...you got a good deal! There will always

be one that's "cheaper' date='" better deal, more this or that...no matter what you paid for it, you know?

So, Enjoy it!! Play the Haggis out of it...;>)

CB[/quote']

He´s absolutely right. And it´s always better to get what you like for say 675.- pounds than buying a compromise for say 575.-. The RIGHT GUITAR is always worth the money as long as you can afford it and as long as it isn´t over priced. And yours sounds quite okay price wise.

Kurt

Archived