Gibson Brands Forums

Saddest sight ever

Rabs

I read somewhere that Vince Gill lost a large portion of his vintage guitar and amp collection along with Kicks Brooks who lost some 50 J200s.

Can someone help me feel bad for someone that lost 50 J200s?

rct

Damn near as bad as the Holocaust pictures... [sad]

I can understand the Holocaust analogy because those bins of flooded guitars look like corpses in mass graves. I can't think of a horror that can be near as bad as the Holocaust. One difference is that the Nashville flood was a "natural" disaster, and people inflicted the Holocaust on other people. Man's inhumanity to man has no equal.

I can understand the Holocaust analogy because those bins of flooded guitars look like corpses in mass graves. I can't think of a horror that can be near as bad as the Holocaust. One difference is that the Nashville flood was a "natural" disaster, and people inflicted the Holocaust on other people. Man's inhumanity to man has no equal.

Kinda like a raid?...lol

guitars, money, can be replaced. Can't replace poeple, though. Not the same way.

I mean, the pain of "loosing" stuff is real, but in perspective, not the same as loosing loved ones.

But what money CAN or CAN'T buy, a real consequence is when because of monetary consequences, or lack of money, companies or operations can and do cease to exist. Often due to temporary situations.

In a way, Gibson has survived a "holocaust" both natural and man-made. It's a horror, kinda like the thought of loosing your house or possesions.

In a way, Gibson has survived a "holocaust" both natural and man-made. It's a horror, kinda like the thought of loosing your house or possesions.

I'm rather new to all things Gibson, having bought my son an acoustic Gibson for his birthday this year. I have an electric Gibson waiting for him for Christmas.

Not knowing anything of Gibson's rich history, I have garnered what I could from various internet searches and have discovered that Gibson is a true American success story, having endured the depression, WWII and an environmental and trade protectionist battle waged by men in suits. It is sad to say this last battle is probably not over.

I am Canadian, and I could have chosen a Canadian guitar manufacturer when I selected the acoustic guitar, but I didn't. I simply purchased "the best guitar" in our local music store. Happy with that one, I stuck with Gibson when choosing the electric guitar for Christmas.

Canada and the USA suffer similar trade wars as we try and adjust to the global economy. I'm glad to be able to support our largest trading partner. After all, if I buy a Gibson guitar, Gibson will come to Canada for Sitka Spruce. I know international trade is more complicated than that, but it is a start in the right direction. Now, if Mr. J. could put in a good word for us when we export wood to the USA because I don't want to lose my home or job. I don't want to be the victim of an eco/economic trade war.

Say "Hi and thanks" to Henry for me...

The U.S. and Canada have an interesting relationship. We're obviously siblings as nations go.

Where I live there are a lot of Canadian transplants - but I don't really know of anyone from here going from the US to Canada in recent years. I find that interesting too.

I personally find it objectionable when we've gone from a driver's license to get one across the border to needing a passport as though living in Europe - especially out here in the boonies where there's little difference in life in the Prairie Provinces and the U.S. Northern Plains. But that's a problem of governments and egos of those bureaucracies and arguments over this or that largely due to conditions on the more populated areas. (I used to tease a friend in Toronto that he was a "southerner.")

Ah, well...

The Gibsons regardless should be of value throughout a musician's life; gifts from a father make them valuable far beyond the dollars expended for them.

m

I like Gibson guitars. The company that makes them is less important to me than the guitars they make. My opinion of management one way or another is almost completely irrelevant to that. It seems like Gibson has turned some kind of corner, because the local shop I like is back to carrying Gibson and Epiphone. They gave up in frustration a few years ago, but now they are back in the fold. The have always sold Fender, and they sold Ibanez for a while. Maybe they still do. They sell Rickenbacker, Martin, Gretsch, and some others, but Gibsons are always the ones I pick up first. The flood was probably insured, if not Gibson overcame a huge setback. I don't know enough about the wood raids to have an opinion. I understand that there are those with the opinion that it was politically motivated, but I flat don't know and don't have an opinion about it. So, there you have it. I like Gibson guitars, especially the ones with '50s shaped baseball bat necks. That's all there is.

If you've been hit by a fire or flood, as I have and as I've been part of in various ways, you know that it's not a matter of insurance covering theoretical losses, but the loss of part of one's life as an individual and, as a group. It's loss of time, additional money, stink, loss of little stuff that has functionally no value but has great meaning.

As a corporation, I'd say Gibson was exemplary in coming back from that - and so were many other folks in Nashville and environs, including our own Searcy. Some places more or less give up. Gibson didn't. When you figure how many employees also were involved in the flood, and had their own personal losses as well, it is something special how they returned.

Ditto, by the way, a lotta other places in Nashville, for which the entire community deserves a great deal of recognition.

As for the federal raids ... Let's face it, even a more credible accusation of far more horrid "white collar crime" than were suggested and later dropped in the Gibson situation - it's not normally done with drawn firearms in a SWAT-type building assault. Whether politics per se or simply somewhat overzealous feds, it was a bit much to swallow and appeared to be aimed at functionally shutting down the company.

m

I personally find it objectionable when we've gone from a driver's license to get one across the border to needing a passport as though living in Europe

That's a gut reaction by the Bureau of Homeland Security or whatever their name is.

The funny part is that the 28 countries in the European Union don't have border checkpoints anymore. Within the Schengen Area, as it is called, passport controls have been abolished. I've gone back and forth from Spain to France and never seen a border guard.

In response to 9/11, the USA is swinging to the right while Europe has been swinging to the left, particularly since the end of the Cold War.

Jeff-Senn-Guitarss-Page.jpg

Also flooded was the Musicians Hall of Fame.

Schermerhorn-flood-damage2-May-2010-590x393.jpg

The Schermerhorn Symphony hall. Thats two Steinway concert grand pianos, valued at $100,000 each, and a $2.5 million pipe organ you're looking at.

bradfloodguitars1.jpg

"Sound Check" is a massive rehearsal and storage facility here where most of the big acts store their gear. Here's Brad Paisley's collection that he had stored there.

The Ryman as mentioned.

Tennessee%20Floods_Stur(4).jpg

My Old Webb Pierce will be in there some where.. sad sight.. you would think they would have takin more pride in the Items they have be givin . what a waste of history..

The problem with suggesting whether the US is swinging "right" or "left" has to do with where one considers a starting point.

To me, given I take something like 1959 as a starting point, we've gone far, far to the left. In fact, if you take 2009 as a starting point, ditto.

If you take, instead, 2010 as a starting point, yup, swinging to the right, but a "lefter" right than in '59, for certain.

Harry Truman in today's world would be pretty far right of center, IMHO. And @#%@#$% I'm old enough to have greeted him and shaken his hand.

m

Archived