Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

PeteWilson

Good evening, all! She who must be obeyed decided that I have been good enough this year to warrant a new ES-175 Premium. It arrived today, and I have spent some time playing it. I really, really like this guitar! I got the sunburst, and I must say that it favors the sunburst on my '56 ES-125. I am a bit concerned about the thin lacquer finish, and ideally, I would prefer a gloss finish. I have not changed the strings yet, that is for tomorrow. I think it shall get some DR Black Beauties 10-46. I love those strings on my Riviera P93 and on my ES-335 Pro. Tonight, I play. I will post some pictures in the next day or so.

Play well,

Pete

Howdy, all!

I have now had the chance to play this guitar, after having replaced the strings. The only "bad" thing I have to say is that the tuner machine keys are slightly larger (thicker) than will fit my string winders...I think I can correct this with a drill on the winders. I am liking the lacquer finish, but I will have to find out to properly care for the finish...

I am loving this! My trip into jazz has begun..

Play well,

Pete

I kinda got the impression that the new Epi 175 is kinda an archtop version of the flattop Masterbuilts - great guitars for the money but with the lesser finish compared to their Gibson counterparts.

So far the new Epi 175 has been getting stellar reviews.

Me, I think that perhaps even a third rate 175 "type" is well worth it as long as it has a nice neck and the same basic player geometry and playability.

m

• 1 month later...

I kinda got the impression that the new Epi 175 is kinda an archtop version of the flattop Masterbuilts - great guitars for the money but with the lesser finish compared to their Gibson counterparts.

So far the new Epi 175 has been getting stellar reviews.

Me, I think that perhaps even a third rate 175 "type" is well worth it as long as it has a nice neck and the same basic player geometry and playability.

m

Milod, the neck is perfect for me! Others may like a more "chunky" neck as is on the Masterbilt EF-500R that I have, but this one is very nice. The geometry is good for me! It is quite comfortable to hold and to play. It is rapidly becoming my favorite electric.

Very nice indeed!!

FWIW: I can get a bit anal about things.... so take this with a grain of salt, but I found that on similar guitars that have the forward strap button placed there ... that if you cut out a piece of appropriately shaped wide plastic tape or etc (of your color choice) then remove the button and put the homemade plastic "washer" under the button felt, it can go the distance to keep from getting swirls from the strap, ground into the finish around the button, and if done right ... it can look factory.

I would not recommend doing this on a nitro finish instrument (you would want to use something that would not react with the nitro) but on a poly/enamel finish it will keep that are looking new.

Anyway ....nice guitar!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Pete...

Best of luck... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting - and it's apparent you've a good instrument for your forays into new pathways for your guitar journey.

Nick...

Everything I've read of these is that they're marvelous players that can play more than well enough.

I personally do not think every guitar "type" and geometry will fit everyone whether from playability or sound criteria, but I think the 175 geometry is about as close as I'm gonna get.

m

Very nice indeed!!

FWIW: I can get a bit anal about things.... so take this with a grain of salt, but I found that on similar guitars that have the forward strap button placed there ... that if you cut out a piece of appropriately shaped wide plastic tape or etc (of your color choice) then remove the button and put the homemade plastic "washer" under the button felt, it can go the distance to keep from getting swirls from the strap, ground into the finish around the button, and if done right ... it can look factory.

I would not recommend doing this on a nitro finish instrument (you would want to use something that would not react with the nitro) but on a poly/enamel finish it will keep that are looking new.

Anyway ....nice guitar!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks! I may try that!

Archived