Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pins

killyridols

There are some who believe that bone bridge pins and saddle replacement do and don't make a guitar sound the same or better depending on various factors that can and sometimes may bring about perceived and possibly imperceptible tonal variations.

truthfully there has been a fair bit of debate on this topic and IMHO the final answer is that if you want to try swapping bone saddle and bridge pins...it is not very expensive and is easily reversible. If you want to try it....go for it and then decide if you like them. It is very much what makes you happy.

Replacing the nut is, at least for me, a bit more expensive because I would take it to a qualified tech or luthier.

I personally think that this "upgrade" has made my guitars sound better, but everyone's ears are different.

I have ordered from both these sites and been happy.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

http://www.stewmac.com/

I replaced the nut, tusq saddle, and plastic bridge pins with bone on my Gibson. The sound is definitely different, and I believe that the new saddle is mostly responsible for that. With bone the guitar sounds a bit richer, fuller, and not so bright, which I find an improvement. The tone is also a lot more even to my ear. I'm happy to have made the change, but still have the original saddle if for whatever reason I want to use it again.

If you're going to replace the pins, which I think is a good idea, I strongly suggest you consider using unslotted pins, though you'll need a luthier to slot the bridge for you. Mine recommended the unslotted pins, and you'll find a good explanation in this thread as to why. I did some additional research and went with unslotted pins. Won't change the sound any, but I think it's a worthwhile improvement.

I was thinking of replacing everything to bone, except the nut(I believe it is bone).

So I started with the bridgepins, I replaced the plastic pins with buffalo horn bridge pins.

And I couldn't really hear any difference..

So.. then what the hell, I decided to keep it stock. because when I bought the guitar, she didn't have no bone or buffalo pins, and I liked the sound of her as is .

Anyhow, here goes my 2cents, I think it is better to have the right fit than to find a denser material...

The more consistent and solid the material you use for your nut and saddle, the better sustain and energy transfer you get.

Pins, on the other hand, simply hold the strings in place. If you invest in decorative pins, make sure they are the right size because the most important issue with pins is fit, not material.

As someone previously said, if it makes you happy to purchase decorative pins made from exotic materials - go ahead - just don't expect them to have any impact on tonality.

I could be totally wrong, but I can’t see how the nut material would cause much effect since as soon as you fret the string or use a capo the nut is taken out of the equation ….I have wondered why they don’t make the nut out of the same material as the fret itself…similarly I’m not sure if pins would make a lot of difference since the saddle and the bridge would take out much of the string vibration. As I see it, it is the saddle that must have the most effect.

I could be totally wrong' date=' but I can’t see how the nut material would cause much effect since as soon as you fret the string or use a capo the nut is taken out of the equation ….I have wondered why they don’t make the nut out of the same material as the fret itself…similarly I’m not sure if pins would make a lot of difference since the saddle and the bridge would take out much of the string vibration. As I see it, it is the saddle that must have the most effect.[/quote']

If the nut material is soft or inconsistent there are sustain problems. Don't believe me? Install a plastic nut in place of what you have now.

I'm thinking of replacing my Bob Colosi bone nut' date=' saddle and pins, with Bob Colosi nut, saddle and pins.......any opinions???? Do you think there will be an improvement in sound quality????[/quote']

:P Only if you replace them with Bob Colosi Fossilized Walrus Ivory.

I actually met Bob Colosi at the crossroads. He told me the price was very steep but that after our deal....I would be pleasantly surprised at how great my guitar would sound. There was a great clap of thunder and lightning as I agreed then after I "Signed on the dotted line" I went home and I installed my FWI saddle and pins. Upon tuning up I played a fantastic version of Terrapin Blues. Which I have never attempted to ever play before.

I was so excited that I ran out to the living room and proceeded to play an impromptu version of Layla (which I have also never played before but was able to improvise and perfectly merge the electric version with the acoustic version) that immediately brought tears to my Wife's eyes. The Colosi saddle and pins seemed to have made my guitar sound incredible and as I broke into Classical Gas I just knew that this was worth the "price" .....Hell **** Cheney had done OK after "HIS" deal. Immortal Soul .....shmool ...DAMN my guitar sounded good !!!

I grabbed a slide and suddenly for the first time in my life .......starting playing Death Letter Blues and knew Son House was spinning in his grave crying that he had never sounded this good......

Of course ...the last couple days haven't been so great after my Wife left me and I think someone poisoned my dog....The alcohol numbs the pain while my guitar just sings what ever my heart desires. I called my Boss and told him to F*#!@ off and the more I play the better I feel......maybe I should eat something??? I think it has been 3 or 4 days now.

I just wish the voices would stop .....STOP!!! ...maybe if I play my beautiful sounding guitar louder I can drown them out .....

Thanks Bob ....the saddle and pins are great. I think I will play that Robert Johnson song again....what was the name of it ????..........Crossroads .......yah....that was it.........

Can't top that.

But, Yes a bone bridge saddle properly made will change the sound for the better, over plastic.

I think the most critical thing for sound is actually that the string pulls over the bridge and down to the pin in a good angle. If the angle is not great enough, the sustain suffers. This is a function of the bridge height and saddle height. A good pin that pops up easily with your pin lifter is a thing of beauty. I pretty much hate the plastic pins that don't fit and get stuck, but I doubt they affect sound.

Archived