Gibson Brands Forums

The day the British invaded America

Edlo

On this day February 7, 1964 the Beatles landed at New York's Kennedy Airport and history was made. They would for ever change the face of rock n roll. A day that still feels like yesterday.

Yeah, it does! Seems almost impossible, that it was 51 years ago!!! [scared] A "Cosmic Shift" in the paradigm,

and a great one, at that! There will never be another, like them...IMHO.

CB

Yeah, it does! Seems almost impossible, that it was 51 years ago!!! [scared] A "Cosmic Shift" in the paradigm,

CB

Yesterday the wife and I went to the opening of a Beatles exhibit at the Woody Guthrie Center/Museum in Tulsa. It was interesting and disappointing at the same time. No original Beatles instruments. But same make/model/vintage representations. Mostly a lot of literature. Hand bills, posters, tickets, contracts and set lists from both pre famous days in England & Germany. And from famous concerts in the U.S. Many handwritten notes/letters/autographs etc. They did have Paul's Nehru Jacket from the Shea Stadium concert. Focused exclusively on the early pre hippie Beatles. Nothing post 1965 or 66.

I always liked this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSAY6ZXEhI

The Animals seemed to have a different edge that was more biting and ballsy to me...

I also love these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_KQYVPadQ

I got to see them live in '82 (I was 14) during the; "Give The People What They Want" tour. They were awesome!

CB

Amen to that brother.

I was born June 11 1964 as I was a little boy some of my first memories are watching Beatles movies and cartoons. It sealed my fate for the rest of my life. I was so happy they released those movies remastered. The Yellow Submarine was wonderful on blu ray. The Saturday morning cartoons became public domain so no remaster for them. The Beatles belong next to Elvis and Jimi Hendrix in my religion. First American Idol, First Super Group, and First Guitar Hero.

I also watched those Saturday mornings show as well, good times

My own story goes like this.

In early 1964 I was an 8 year old with a 'butchie' haircut living on Long Island. I had a beatnik 17 year old aunt who loved Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Pete Seeger and lived in the East Village. She would take me along on some of these shows with her and I thought she was the coolest person to ever walk the earth.nShe even played the guitar which I constantly desired and ached for.

On one Saturday night she showed me a feature story in the old New York Post about a group that was making huge waves in Britain and were about to hit the US and the Ed Sullivan show. She suggested to me that I would look cute with one of their haircuts. They were GIRLY haircuts! No WAY was I going to wear a GIRLY haircut.

Next thing I know every radio station I listened to, WABEatleC, WINS, the WMCA goodguys, all they were playing was this Beatles stuff. Even their band name was kind of weird and odd. I mean, who would name their band after cockroaches?

Well, the Sullivan show finally happened and I sat mesmerized with my jaw dropped low into my lap. I fell so deeply in love with those guys, and especially George (he played the biggest guitar) that the next day I vowed to begin wearing my hair long, and to start really learning guitar.

Somewhere I have a photo of myself with my aunt and her guitar dated March of '64 and my hair is decidedly shaggy in the front.

The Beatles immediately became my very favorite group, and though in the intervening years I have fallen in love with music as diverse as Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Duke Ellington, hardcore punk, pop, and whatever, I have always loved the Beatles best of all.

Archived