Gibson Brands Forums

Wam Bam Thankyou Ma'am

Marshall Paul

The other lead git player in our band has just pulled the trigger on his first SG today, a 2014 SG Standard in white (looks sexy) without all that new fruit on it. He wants to put a trem system on it and asked me if I knew of any good ones. I don't own any SG's so I wouldn't know but I said I would put the question foreward here in the forum and see what happens. He wants one that's small, lightweight and unobtrusive, no bigsby style systems he reckons.

So, what do you reckon guys, you denizens of the SG world (lol). What could you recommend for him please?

I would stay with the stopbar. The Lyra/Maestro on my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs is virtually useless. Tuning stability is insuffiecent even with roller bridges.

If your bandmate wants to go the whammy route, there's nothing beyond a Floyd Rose, but SGs are a bit thin for this mod. I'm very pleased with my guitars featuring FRs stock - Gibson, Fender, and Ibanez as well.

Bigsby B5 is the one that doesn't need any holes or mods and won't leave marks if you decide to take it off....it's the one with "vibramate V-5" which i think is the mounting pad/plate. I beleive that one particular model has a short tail on it especially for SG's.....here we go, found it......Cheers!

(I know he said prob no Bigsby, but this one is fairly low profile)

From the website -

"Bigsby B5 with Vibramate V5 fits flat-face solidbodies. This B5/V5 combination won't fit a classic large-pickguard SG, or a Flying V (order the Short Tail kit)."

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Archtop_Guitar/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bigsby_B5_Vibrato.html#reviews

Archived