Gibson Brands Forums

Dove loses feather

E-minor7

just my little opinion, we've all known about the $ grabbing policies of gibson and martin, mostly over the past 15 years. Both companies built SUPERB guitars from 1987 until 2000, seems history repeats itself. my own little opinion of many complaints as well as my own, and its cure, a good suppository !

Ouch. Take it all off, I'd say!

Exactly what I did - and in fact kept doin' over the next 4-5 days.

Never really liked the original neck. It was too thick and U-shaped (squarish) - especially when comin' straight from the H-bird.

So this was the opportunity and there I went. It brought me closer to the guitar and I even think the sound changed a bit to the rawer.

Well, that is placebo, isn't it. .

Scarred - Dove%20loses%20feather%202%20Winter%20-%202015.jpg

No - as seen, I didn't take it all off. It would have been a huge job and given the guitar a whole other identity.

It would have involved the head-stock and there would have been risky territory where the heel meets the body.

This is it for now - it's quite smooth, but there is a minor bulge to the south and there only.

Again - have to add that the bare zone is defined by the nature of the loose lacquer. It peeled off in shells there only.

The 2 long spots be the sides at the h-stock is sanded away though. In my attempt to get the ideal C-shape.

I say get it like you want it. Its apparently a keeper in the tone dept. A '96 is fair game. The only new Gibson I have ever bought is a 2004 LP Jr. LOVE IT! Its the only guitar that I own that I want to relic. Not afraid of putting honest dings and wear on to. I even scuffed the neck a tad with steel wool and leather to make it smoother. It is the perfect player and a keeper. Even mucked with the electronics some.

Are you the original owner with warranty. That's what it's there for. If not, you can have the neck refinished for not too much. Or, steel wool it down to bare wood and leave it or polyurethane it yourself. Given what you have, I would have it refinished professionally if there's no warranty.

just my little opinion, we've all known about the $ grabbing policies of gibson and martin, mostly over the past 15 years. Both companies built SUPERB guitars from 1987 until 2000, seems history repeats itself. my own little opinion of many complaints as well as my own, and its cure, a good suppository !

??? What? They're both making as good of, or better, guitars than ever.

Archived