Gibson Brands Forums

White Button Tuners

Allie

One of the reasons I changed tuners on my 2008 J-50 was because I really disliked the look of those big washers and screw-in bushings. You are right that there will be a mark when you remove them, but I was able to sand it down with good results. I was a bit nervous, but it didn't take very long at all. Of course, there's always the chance that you could do some real damage if you sand it down too far, and some people may not be comfortable with that risk. I used these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Micro-Mesh_Touch_Up_Stick.html

Here's the 2008 J-50 with new tuners on the left and originals on the right FWIW. Stewmac sells the bushings to adapt the holes to the correct size. I used a small c-clamp to press them into the holes with a wood block to pad the headstock.

2008_new+old.jpg

Thanks, I already have the Kluson Deluxe white button tuners on the way and they will arrive this afternoon. I'll know better when I have them in hand just which way I'll go with this, I'll let you all know then. Maybe a pic or two if I figure out how to post them.

Allie: Tutorial on posting photos: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

I just acquired a '57 J-50 that has Kluson replacement tuners on it with stark white tuners on it, which are in sharp contrast to the nicely aged binding, so I am mildly interested in this.

Thanks duluthdan, I'll work on that pic post thing so I can let you see the results I get, I'm hoping I can repeat the sharpie trick with equally as good of results.

Allie--

I sent you a PM regarding this if some of your options don't pan out.

I got it, Thanks I'll keep it in mind. I'll know more when the tuners arrive. I'm on the end of the UPS route so I won't see them until late today.

The good news about the Kluson white button tuners I received....They are NOT bright white but more of an off white, however they are still not as yellowed as the rest of the guitar binding so I will try the sharpie trick to bring them more in line with the binding. The bad news is I still haven't had the time to figure out how the picture posting is done and I have grandchildren in basketball tournaments all weekend so I will not be doing much with this whole ordeal until at least the first of next week. I do have the tuners installed and I like what I have so far and if I'm not able to find the right shade of sharpie I'll live with what I have, it's that close. I also would like to add that when installing the tuners I went with new Gibson Masterbuilt medium gauge 80/20 PB's and I really like the sound and they are half the price of the Elixrs I have been using. Just thought some may want to know that.

...also they new tuners have the screw in bushings but with the smaller button style tuners they some how don't seem to be so out of place now. I'll get the picture posting thing figured out and let you all see for yourself so you can make a clear choice as to what you would do in my case.

I have officially given up.....I opened an account at photobucket and took some pics with my 'much smarter than me' phone and have no idea how to transfer the pics to photobucket...... sooooo, I'm 'dead in the water' at this point but my 12 yo granddaughter is coming to my place for the weekend (I'm siked, she's taking to the guitar!) so we'll be figuring this out in about a heartbeat and I'll post a few pics this weekend.....I do have to add that these new white button tuners make my guitar sound MUCH nicer than before [lol], Or maybe it's the Gibson Masterbuilts meds. IDK, that's the trouble with changing more than one thing at a time, it's next to impossible to tell what made the change :) I think it was the tuners though :lol:

I have officially given up.....I opened an account at photobucket and took some pics with my 'much smarter than me' phone and have no idea how to transfer the pics to photobucket...... sooooo, I'm 'dead in the water' at this point but my 12 yo granddaughter is coming to my place for the weekend (I'm siked, she's taking to the guitar!) so we'll be figuring this out in about a heartbeat and I'll post a few pics this weekend.....I do have to add that these new white button tuners make my guitar sound MUCH nicer than before [lol], Or maybe it's the Gibson Masterbuilts meds. IDK, that's the trouble with changing more than one thing at a time, it's next to impossible to tell what made the change :) I think it was the tuners though :lol:

Don't feel bad. I gave up a long time ago, after a long time trying, to post pictures. But - to salvage something here - a new song title? "White Button Tuners and Black Diamond Strings" ?!

I'm 2 years into teaching my (now) 13 yo grandson. It is a humbling experience. Also causing me to use up some of the patience I managed to save over the decades. Good Luck! ENJOY!!

Don't feel bad. I gave up a long time ago, after a long time trying, to post pictures. But - to salvage something here - a new song title? "White Button Tuners and Black Diamond Strings" ?!

I'm 2 years into teaching my (now) 13 yo grandson. It is a humbling experience. Also causing me to use up some of the patience I managed to save over the decades. Good Luck! ENJOY!!

Thanks, I don't feel quite as bad now. I know what you mean about the patience lol, something I never was blessed with although as I age I seem to be mellowing a bit.....I think your onto something with that song title keep us up to speed!

Don't feel bad. I gave up a long time ago, after a long time trying, to post pictures.

It really shouldn't be hard to post a picture. Just get the picture on your computer somehow. If you have a digital camera, you should be able to connect it directly and download the pictures. If you have a smartphone, you could take a picture, e-mail it to yourself and save it. If you still use a film camera, you would need to scan the print. Regardless, just make a note of the file name and where it is located on your computer.

Now when you reply to a thread here, look underneath the box where you type your text. Click the button that says "Choose File", then browse to the location on your computer where the file is saved, select it and click the choose button. Now click the blue button "Attach This File".

That should be all you need to do. The site seems to impose a limit of 500KB of attachments though. That should be enough to attach several photos, but if you want to post a lot of pictures, you will need to host them off-site. You can get the most out of the 500KB limit if you make the photos smaller.

It really shouldn't be hard to post a picture. Just get the picture on your computer somehow. If you have a digital camera, you should be able to connect it directly and download the pictures. If you have a smartphone, you could take a picture, e-mail it to yourself and save it. If you still use a film camera, you would need to scan the print. Regardless, just make a note of the file name and where it is located on your computer.

Now when you reply to a thread here, look underneath the box where you type your text. Click the button that says "Choose File", then browse to the location on your computer where the file is saved, select it and click the choose button. Now click the blue button "Attach This File".

That should be all you need to do. The site seems to impose a limit of 500KB of attachments though. That should be enough to attach several photos, but if you want to post a lot of pictures, you will need to host them off-site. You can get the most out of the 500KB limit if you make the photos smaller.

What Boyd said! ^^^^ Or just wait for your granddaughter... [wink]

Or just wait for your granddaughter... [wink]

I am still at the point where I need to help may grandaughter with things (she turns 5 this weekend). But the day when she will need to help me is coming…. [flapper]

Huh?

Let me clarify.....I'm a low tech guy living in a high tech world. [confused]](*,)

Archived