Gibson Brands Forums

Do you use coiled or curly cables?

skilsaw

Sorry for me jumping on this topic again, but I completely forgot to mention that I prefer coiled cords on headphones in most applications. [biggrin][thumbup]

Au Contraire, Cap, if you hadn't bumped it I'd never have seen those snaps of you with the Type 4 SG...Cool!

From pretty much the same time (probably '80 / '81) here's me and my '64 (before I returned it to Lake Placid Blue) with MY coily - suitably colour co-ordinated, of course..........[blush]

MeandStrat1980cut-out_zpsc5e02c35.jpg

[laugh]

P.

Sorry for me jumping on this topic again, but I completely forgot to mention that I prefer coiled cords on headphones in most applications. [biggrin][thumbup]

I haven't warmed up to the coil head phone cord on my new Sennheiser HD 280 Pro head phones..It feels so heavy hanging from one side..

Au Contraire, Cap, if you hadn't bumped it I'd never have seen those snaps of you with the Type 4 SG...Cool!

From pretty much the same time (probably '80 / '81) here's me and my '64 (before I returned it to Lake Placid Blue) with MY coily - suitably colour co-ordinated, of course..........[blush]

MeandStrat1980cut-out_zpsc5e02c35.jpg

[laugh]

P.

[thumbup]

Sorry, no pics available, but I used to played my roadstar-red Ibanez RG 430 with a bilious green textile strap through a neon-blue straight cord, no matter if I wore a white collar shirt and a tie along with a dark-blue evening suit, or a white T-shirt and blue jeans, optional with a grey work coat #-o

By the way, my only blue guitar is a Lake Placid Blue Strat. B)

I haven't warmed up to the coil head phone cord on my new Sennheiser HD 280 Pro head phones..It feels so heavy hanging from one side..

This is a good call. Coiled single-sided cords are best when used with a source at a short distance and considerably below ear level. If that's not possible, either a straight cord and/or an additional extension cord are/is more comfortable.

My open 1980's Beyerdynamic DT 880 and DT 880 S have double-sided coiled cords which I love. I had to get accustomed to the single-sided cord of my DT 770 Pro 250 which is all in all my favorite headphone, in particular when performing or recording anything but drums. I also have a Sennheiser eH 2270 with detachable straight cord. While playing and/or recording drums I use a DT 770 M with single-sided straight cord, but this application calls for extension cords anyway. The operating range as technician is requiring that as well as the distance between drummer and recording gear.

Closed headphones are best when making music, so I use my open DT 880s very rarely.

My first electric guitar came about in 1970 or so. I promptly got a coiled cable; after all, Hendrix used one! Didn't last. Been using straight cables ever since.

I have two U.S. made cables that were re-branded...I think they may say "Dyna-Mike" on them? I have to go check! Anyway they have been through over 11 years of gigging, use at home, etc. with no noticable loss of conductance / tone. I used George L's to connect my pedals and then from the pedals to the amp.

Newton's Law of Co-axial Cable; two, or more, cables, within twenty feet of each other, will completely entertwine faster than they can be seperated. They do not, however, breed when thus tangled...[too bad, that last part...]

In the mid / late 90s, in our originals band, we discovered a local store called "Ross, Dress for Less". Ross has a variety of things, including really cool, albeit machine-made, Turkish style rugs. Inexpensive and very robust. We started running as many connector cables and other cables, as possible, under the rugs, keeping them out of the way. Again, not exclusively, but as much as possible. Helped tremendously- looked cool. Lots of bands do it.

Brian

Newton's Law of Co-axial Cable; two, or more, cables, within twenty feet of each other, will completely entertwine faster than they can be seperated. They do not, however, breed when thus tangled...[too bad, that last part...]

Brian

[lol] [lol] [lol]

I picked up one of the coiled VOX Cables a while back & use it straight into the amp that is usually 3-5 feet away up in the studio..

It's great quality but I still prefer my straight Nuetrix cable for getting away from the amps..

CABVX090BK.jpg

The handy goodie bag I have full of guitar strings & is always at hand in my workstation..

I have one curly black heavy duty cable. The rest of mine are all straight. I remember some curly cables going out on me back in the 70s. These were cheaply put together. Like everything there is good and bad.

Archived