Gibson Brands Forums

nashville tuning

jannusguy

Definitely better for a dread or jumbo.

I have cheap Silvertone that has a decent sound that I put into Nashville tuning from time to time to play some of Keith's stuff as authentically as I can get it. He learned from one George Jone's guitar players back in the 60's.

It also can enhance rock songs that aren't typically played acoustically as it adds some texture to the sound (especially if another guitar or guitars are used, or even other instruments) with it's drone.

It's stringing the guitar in standard tuning, but using different string gauges. Generally the strings (E-> G) are an octave higher than 'normal.' To do it you get a set of strings for a 12-string and go from there. Here's an overview i found online:

(it does take a little getting used to, the only wound string is the low-E so it takes a little time to get used to the feel)

Nashville tuning is a little more involved than just tuning your guitar differently. It's also known as high-stringing a guitar because different strings need to be used. It creates a 12 string effect on a 6 string guitar. The simplest way to explain it is, you use the high octave strings of a 12 string set of strings on a six-string guitar. The first two strings of your instrument (high E and =D> remain unchanged, and the lower four strings (G through low E) are tuned an octave above standard tuning. It is possible to buy ready-made string sets for Nashville tuning but they may be hard to find. You can use a 12-string set ( just use the octave or thin strings) but that's kind of expensive. The best way for you may be to buy the strings individually from your local music store's single-string bin.

The gauges for a medium set would be .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low.

A light set would be .010, .014, .009, .012, .018, .027 high to low.

All strings are unwound except for the low E which is wound.

Very interesting - I had been taught many years ago that Nashville tuning was the practice of tuning all instruments the same as a guitar (banjo, mandolin, uke etc.) so any guitar player could smash out a tune on them. I did not realize this high stringing method was the truth in Nashville tuning - certainly sounds like fun. I would like to try it on my Telecaster.

Interesting topic. Google is your best friend at times like these. Found that JustStrings.com sells a set of strings just for Nashville tuning. I have only one acoustic guitar so I don't think I will be trying this soon........but hey you never know. Here is the link to the Nashville tuning strings:

http://www.juststrings.com/sit-p1025nt.html

I also found out in my searching for info that David Gilmoure/Pink Floyd used Nashville Tuning on "Hey You" and "Mother" from "The Wall".........interesting. Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam also uses this tuning on "Can't Keep" from their album (showing my age, I still say album) Riot Act. Vedder plays a version of "Can't Keep" on the Uke too. That dovetails nicely with what Ballcorner said. As a matter of fact I believe "Can't Keep" was originally written on the Uke.

Rob

Robekert,

You have only one acoustic? Run, don't walk, to the nearest emergency room.

Nashville Tuning may vary slightly, but the raison d'etre is as follows: Many pop tunes over the years call for a 12-string guitar. But 12-string guitars are a pain in the *** to play, tune, and keep tuned. Then someone in a Nashville recording studio a long tme ago had an epiphany: Why not get rid of the lower octave strings entirely, just to get the needed high octave sounds, and in fact transfer those treble strings to an easy-to-play 6-string guitar? And also have another player (or the same player overdubbing) play the same part on a normal 6-string. Combined in a multi-track recording session, the two tracks sound like a wonderful, well-intonated 12-string guitar, but neither session player even raises a sweat trying to manhandle a real 12-string. This works so well that almost no "12-string" tracks are actually played in the studio on a real 12-string guitar anymore.

Can you explain why? I was thinking of doing this to my Baby/Travel guitar. Still might do anyway' date=' just want to understand why things work, the science of it all! :-k [/quote']

They're bigger, have more resonance and the interplay of the different octaves of the strings off of those bigger bodies is what gives Nashville tuning it's uniqueness. It gets it's name from the many Nashville based country players who used the tuning and they all played big dreads and jumbos.

You can certainly use it on a small body, but the sound won't be as unique.

I've done some researching on this topic a while ago. The first session player to use this tuning was a rhythm player for the early Everly Bros. tunes. I can't remember his name, but I know he died recently. He did most of the complicated rhythms on the big hits they had. He played along with Chet Atkins on the Everly's late 50's and early 60's recordings. I know this because I'm in rehearsals for a Everly Brothers Tribute show and I had to do a lot of research to put it all together. They say that when several acoustic guitars are playing at once, the one with the Nashville tuning will really stand out, sort of like a Resonator Guitar.

They're bigger' date=' have more resonance and the interplay of the different octaves of the strings off of those bigger bodies is what gives Nashville tuning it's uniqueness. It gets it's name from the many Nashville based country players who used the tuning and they all played big dreads and jumbos.

You can certainly use it on a small body, but the sound won't be as unique. [/quote']

Thanks for that Todd, always nice to understand why things are the way they are!

Cheers mate

that's cool. i did the easy try it out way by capo'ing the 12th on the e,a,d,g. and playing above the 12th. i bet this would sound cool on any of your guitars. i'll bet the k-zoo would give you some sweet n jangly RJ style blues tones, though. thanks for passing that along.

Although I don't disagree with the "dread is best" advice if you are seeking a 12-string effect, Nashville tuning on a small body can also give a mandolin-like sound to an ensemble. I use a Nashville tuned Baby Taylor from time to time when playing old-time and country. It adds a little sparkle to the sound. I think it would be too thin to be the main rhythm and so I rarely use it these days because I'm the only guitar player in my current jamming crowd. But then I think it would be too thin on a dread too. It's a nice addition, depending on the music and the group.

Nashville Tuning was never intended for a single acoustic guitar, either solo or in an ensemble with other instruments. It is intended to be played alongside another 6-string playing the same chords.

Regarding capoing at the 12th fret and playing up there, totally different sound than Nashville Tuning,

since the latter (like a 12-string) does not simply raise all six strings of a conventional guitar one octave. Plus, as everyone has experienced, capoing totally changes the sound of a guitar, and the higher you capo the more different it gets. And the frets are too close together way up the 'board for many people's fingers. Also, Nashville Tuning would be used primarily for strumming jangly open chords (how 12-strings are commonly employed) and you need all the open strings in 1st position you can get to get the right sound.

This is an interesting thread. When I went into the studio a couple years ago to record my country project, the rhythm player had finished laying down a track with his "regular" guitar. Then, he broke out what I thought was just another standard-tuned acoustic. "Why are you laying another track?" I asked. He told me it was a "high-strung" guitar that would give the rhythm track a fullness comparable to a twelve string.

Sounds pretty cool. You can kinda pick it out here at the beginning of my song "Baby, Get Outta Here" at www.myspace.com/tonycroff

Archived