Gibson Brands Forums

Get a piece of history - John Lennon

Dave F

"Guarenteed no to crack." Action and tone? Extra.

I assume if it's guaranteed not to split , it's probably all plywood.

The one Lennon is playing in the B&W photo looks like a different body shape to me, but it may just be the camera angle.

The was some guy on Reverb and eBay selling a Framus "Hootenanny" 12 string guitar which is a model Lennon once played. Looks like it sold for $5K. How that guitar could be worth anymore than maybe $400 is beyond me. But obvioulsy somebody thought so.

If not the exact same model (maybe it is) it's nice to finally see the hue of this top.

Remember owning a book with the pic when I was 6 hehe. .

Apart from that something tells me it was the one acoustic he had before goin' Gibson.

As we know a J-160E purchased in 1962 from then on became the serious squire of the storming Beatle. .

As we know a J-160E purchased in 1962 from then on became the serious squire of the storming Beatle. . [/size][/font]

That guitar was stolen towards the end of 1963. It is the '64 Model that shows up in A Hard Days Night, on the Give Peace a Chance sessions and such.

Zomb - The '64 substitute bought at Manny's wasn't really embraced by Lennon before later.

He uses it during Pepper where it suddenly takes LSD and changes personality and it's definitely the one played on Give Peace a Chance.

Now sanded to 1969-hip natural finish.

But the J-160E played by Lennon in both the A Hard Days Night and Help! movie is actually Harrisons.

Archived